Author Topic: New kitten has rough & flaky skin near eye. Help please!  (Read 6054 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: New kitten has rough & flaky skin near eye. Help please!
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2016, 13:56:15 PM »
I am glad you have found a way of administering treatment to your little man without risking life and limb!  ;D

Offline Steph G

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Billy
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2016, 13:37:29 PM »
Hi everyone!

Thanks for your replies while I've been sorting the wee man out :)

Updates so far:
  • I am very capable of doing ear drops by myself- gold star for me!
  • Billy and Mark (OH) & I have come to a lovely arrangement where he gets nice treats after each medication, which appears to make him much more compliant!
  • Eye drops are going much better and his eye no longer has any goop and the squint is pretty much non existent (however when he has his ear drops in I think when grooming they are irritating his eyes-not sure what to do about this)
  • We've found scruffing him is the best way to keep him (relatively) still. Even during ear cleaning yesterday we only came away with minimal scars of war...

Overall we're definitely getting there! Btw Rosella the vet did say she had front lined him for the ear mites,but maybe she meant Stronghold as I'm fairly certain Front Line does nothing for ear mites.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2016, 08:02:21 AM »
Good thinking Rosella.

Am dreading having to tackle the Gurlies again for flea treatment, but it's coming round at the end of this month.....  :doh: :doh:  (Vet did Malt last time  ;) )

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2016, 07:49:15 AM »
Just a thought but think Stronghold treats ear mites as well as fleas so ......... for next flea treatment, you may want to consider it?

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/pet-meds-prescription-only-stronghold-flea-treatment-c-21_772/stronghold-for-puppies-and-kittens-15mg-p-8993

Many years back, our Gandolf had ear mites and we had a right game getting rid of em.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 07:50:50 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Steph G

• Kitten
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2016, 23:50:13 PM »
So with OH's help we managed the eye drops just about! Second lot of ear drops done fine; he doesn't seem to mind these so much.

I'm not going to lie I am dreading the ear cleaning with solution and cotton wool in the next day or so  :sad no:

Offline Steph G

• Kitten
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2016, 17:54:02 PM »
Yeah they said to try and bear down (obviously not too hard) as this is what his mum would have done to teach him a lesson lol. We'll see how we get on later and I'll let you know  :naughty:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2016, 17:49:40 PM »
Might your vet nurses have some suggestions (polite ones I hope!)?

Offline Steph G

• Kitten
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2016, 16:26:22 PM »
I was kind of thinking the ambush idea as he seems to be far more receptive to face/eye touching when he's tired.

Poor guy. It's breaking my heart but I know it's for the best! I'm pretty sure his eye is looking a little better already so I'm keeping my hopes up anyway!

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 16:26:42 PM by MissSJG89 »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2016, 15:31:18 PM »
my Bengal has had more than her share of eye drops over the years, the vet always prefers the element of surprise rather than wrapping because they naturally fight it, I would normally ambush her while she was asleep!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2016, 15:23:07 PM »
 :evillaugh:    Am wondering about an old cut off  leg from tights or a sock?  Might be a bit too stretchy though.  They do wriggle a fair old bit, and you don't want to be stressing him, if you can avoid it.  It's tricky to offer a treat diversion when you're having to try it single handed. 

Offline Steph G

• Kitten
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2016, 14:55:21 PM »
Sadly yes. He's too damn small and manages to get his paws out again before I've even wrapped the second half around him lol.

Little nuisance so he is  :evillaugh:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2016, 14:52:35 PM »
Have you tried to wrap him in a towel or pillowcase, think kitten mummy, Egyptian style.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Steph G

• Kitten
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2016, 13:23:43 PM »
(Had already typed this when you replied Sue...you're a mind reader!)

So I managed the eye drops okay this morning on my own (I need to get used to doing it on my own as my OH is going to be on weird shifts over the next 2 weeks meaning I won't see him  :(

HOWEVER...eye drops are a whole different ball game. The little tike is far too wriggly and refuses anything near his eyes. Going to try again later with the OH see if we can keep him still long enough!

Wish me luck and if you have any words of advice please feel free to let me know!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2016, 13:22:53 PM »
How is Billy today?  Are you managing to get his drops in eyes and ears okay?  :)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2016, 13:03:12 PM »
glad it was easily sorted, love the picture of him on the cat tree!

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2016, 12:56:01 PM »
I am glad it was relatively minor for him, Steph, if not for the trauma to your hands, arms and chest :evillaugh: :rofl:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 19:07:41 PM »
I'm glad the traumatic experience is over - for all of you! Yes, it does sound as if the vet is being cautious rather than anything else. I spect the drops tickle a bit  ;D

Offline Steph G

• Kitten
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2016, 19:01:33 PM »
Haha. My name is Steph if that's easier  ;D

The vet did her usual "cover all bases" and said we need to keep an eye on him in case the conjunctivitis is cat flu, however he has absolutely no other symptoms other than the eyes. He's also has both his vaccinations so I've hoping it's just what they have to say to make sure they are covered (bit like doctors when you go see them).

The wee guy has fallen asleep now so hopefully his ears have settled a little.

I have my injuries from the vets that's for sure but I couldn't care one jot as long as he gets better and lives a long happy life  :briggin:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 18:52:48 PM »
Aw that's great news. (well, not the trauma bit, obviously  :-:)  But about it being ear mites.

He probably will scratch a bit more initially.  I recall Ross kept wiping his ears and shaking his head, but it didnt take long to settle it down.  His conjunctivitis will feel so much better now it's getting attention too.  Not the best start in life, but he's landed on his feet with a Mummy and Daddy who love him to bits and are giving him all the care he needs.   :)  Well done missus!  (That's quicker to type than MissSJG89  :evillaugh:)

Offline Steph G

• Kitten
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 17:59:41 PM »
Hi everyone! :cat rub:

So Billy and I had a wonderful (-ly traumatic) visit to the vet. The poor soul has ear mites and conjunctivitis. So after the awful experience of the vet & nurse clearing his ears out (why do they have to be so wriggly at this age?!) he had his drops put in okay in both ears and eyes. They also Front Lined him too as an extra helping hand.

I feel so sorry for him. The skin they reckon is just from him scratching his face from his ear (we must just not have seen him doing it  :scared:)

So we have our work cut out for the next 2 weeks. My OH is going to love me later...

Billy on the other hand is still his normal happy self although he seems to be scratching more since he's had the drops in his ears. Is this normal?

p.s. as you can see I've had help typing this...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 18:02:32 PM by MissSJG89 »

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 20:43:16 PM »
Awww, bless his furry paws!   :Luv2:

Offline Steph G

• Kitten
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 19:11:58 PM »
Haha I know. Half of my phone memory is already taken up with photos and videos of him I'm sure  :)

And he always wakes up and shows off when my OH gets home at around 11pm. Such a performer  :rofl:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 19:03:16 PM »
How fantastic is that?    :evillaugh:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 18:29:56 PM »
But what a cute weirdo :Luv:, let us know how he gets on please.

Paula xxx

Offline Steph G

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 17:53:36 PM »
Such great names!  :Luv:

Billy would say hi but he's too busy sleeping like a weirdo!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 17:43:26 PM »
I don't think it is ringworm, so try not to worry.   :hug:

Give him a little kiss on the head from me.

Moray, Malt and Barley all say "Hi Billy!"

Offline Steph G

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 17:00:49 PM »
Aww your all very kind! I'm sure if his grey fur could blush he would  :briggin:

Of course I will let you know what the vet says! I'm hoping it's easily fixed and it's not ringworm as that's such hardwork to get rid of!  :tired:

Thanks for your replies!

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 16:17:13 PM »
Hi and  :welcome: What a handsome lad you have!  :Luv2:

I'm glad you won't have to wait and worry for much longer, please will you let us know what the vet says?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 11:59:44 AM »
Yes it could be ear mites, especially if he's shaking his head too.  When we had Ross and first brought him home, he had ear mites.  Very easily treated though and we were prescribed ear drops.  Admittedly they made him look like a gremlin that had been fed and watered after midnight, but they did the trick.   :evillaugh:

Sounds like he's just perfect, and has made himself right at home.   :)

Offline Steph G

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 11:27:12 AM »
 :thanks: from both me and the wee guy!  :briggin:

Could it still be mites although he's not scratching particularly? I've noticed he is sometimes shaking his head a little more often than I'd like so I'll get him checked for ear mites, but I'm not sure that could cause the skin to flake and fur to thin?

I'm sure once we've got past this we'll have a very happy boy, saying that he's completely content already from what I can see!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 10:37:53 AM »
He's a little beauty.  Hello Billy!   :welcome:

It could be a skin condition or it could be mites.  Definitely get him booked in for a kitten check, and the vet will be able to treat the issue. 

We love Crazy Cat Ladies and Crazy Cat Guys, so you're definitely in the best of company.  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 09:42:26 AM »
it happens!  I'm sure it will be easily sorted

Offline Steph G

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 09:40:26 AM »
Yeah I know. I've just not been sleeping cause I'm worried about him so much. I'm sure he'll be okay and we have the vet tomorrow so it's not long to wait, I just want him to be okay because me and my OH (previously a total dog only kinda guy) have fallen head over heels for the wee lad!

I've become a cray cat mom in a matter of hours lol  :Luv:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 09:34:19 AM »
the vet is really the only one who can help with this, particularly with eyes you need to be very careful, see if you can get him in asap, he is a lovely little fella

Offline Steph G

• Kitten
New kitten has rough & flaky skin near eye. Help please!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 09:28:23 AM »
Hi all,

I hope you can help. My partner and I brought home our wee British Blue kitten, Billy. He's a lovely little guy and has settled in incredibly well into our home (single cat household). He eats & drinks well and uses the litter tray perfectly, and when he's not sleeping loves a mad play time  :Luv2:

However I have noticed he has rough flaky skin around his eye which appears to be giving him problems with the eye itself. I have an appointment this week at the vet however I think I already know the answer is going to be Ringworm  :'(

I was hoping you guys Could take a look and see what you think. He's not itching as far as I can tell and generally seems happy within himself. 

I feel so bad for the little guy :(

Thanks,
Steph

Link to CatChat