Author Topic: Introducing blind cat to our existing one  (Read 3218 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Introducing blind cat to our existing one
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 07:25:28 AM »
Hi Ali - how's it going with Monty and Angel?

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 08:47:44 AM »
I had Bertie who went blind at 19 and we moved house when he was 20 and he mastered the new house very well but where possible we arranged furniture in rooms similar to our last house and he even mastered the 3 acre garden he did the boundary twice a day, we thought the stairs would be an issue but no mastered them as well, I currently have Finn who is blind but that doesn't stop him at all he in indoor/outdoor and has 5 other kittens near his age to keep him happy

Smell in the one thing that sharpens and their hearing there may be some misses on the grit box but keep it in the same place and furniture as well where possible so they have a mental map, also keep him in  a room on his own for a little time with food, litter tray and feliway plug in or similar and maybe ask the vet about Zylkene it is a natural product which takes the edge of scarey things in my case I use it with ferals and newbies when they come to us
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 00:20:03 AM »
No experience of a blind cat, but I would have thought moving the litter tray a few inches towards the lounge door every day wouldn't cause any problems - and  always keeping back some used litter to add to fresh

It's a lovely story in the making you have here, and I would love to read updates

Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 23:02:19 PM »
wow that's great he has turned up after 3 years! you could get a litter tray with a hood to lessen the smells, but once he finds his way around and gets his bearings, using his whiskas, he should settle down fine.  :Luv: maybe you could get a piece of clothing and rub Angel's smell on it and leave it near him for a few days so he gets used to her smell?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 23:04:08 PM by heather sullivan »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 09:17:37 AM »
how brilliant that he is back with you, no advice I'm afraid but know there are people on here with blind cats so sure someone will turn up soon

Offline alisonc7148

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Monty and Angel
Introducing blind cat to our existing one
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 21:27:24 PM »
Hi

I am new to this forum, but hoping some of you lovely folk can help me....it's a long story........

3 years ago our lovely 10 year old cat Monty went missing......we never had any news of him, and eventually suspecting the worst, we got ourselves a new kitten - a naughty tortie called Angel. She is lovely, and totally does not live up to her name (not angelic in the slightest!).
This Saturday, we had a call froma loca lvet to say Monty had been found, and handed in to them.   Of course we rushed up to see him, and despite now being  13 years old, he was in surprisingly good condition apart from being completely blind (how he has survived we will never know).  We have brought him home, very excited but now the reality of the situation is sinking in!

We currenlty have him confined to our lounge as he has an as yet undiagnosed eye infection, which we do not want Angel to catch.  He has settled in brilliantly, taken up his old spot on the sofa, and hasn't really moved from there apart from to eat and use the litter tray.

I have 2 questions:
1.  How best to introduce him to Angel?  She knows he is in the lounge and is desparate to get in and meet him/ hiss at him.
2.  Obviously I would rather not have a litter tray in our lounge, so when Monty is able to have access to the rest of the house, how should I best move the litter tray to somewhere more appropriate without confusing him too much?

Any other hints and tips about caring fro a blind cat would be much appreciated

Thanks so much
Ali xx

Link to CatChat