Author Topic: Documentary Thurs cats v's dogs  (Read 4430 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: Documentary Thurs cats v's dogs
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 19:50:26 PM »
Chance to watch lots of lovely cats and dogs, don't really care about much else  :briggin:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 09:30:27 AM »
I am watching this now on catch up and can't help thinking that it would be so much better if they'd just done 2 separate programmes - 1 about cats and 1 about dogs.

What makes me laugh about this kind of thing is that Chris is there all puffed up with pride that dogs can do this, that or the other and I'm sat here proud of my boys because they'd never do that  :rofl:

I agree, its really showing how different they are. I didn't see all of the first one - I liked the test with the food last night, but was not suprised with the results!!!  :rofl:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 09:20:30 AM »
I always feel a little sorry for dogs as they are so obviously less intelligent than cats.  They are almost without exception gorgeous .......... just a bit dim bless  :)

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 08:54:03 AM »
He he Susanne, that's exactly how I feel about my cats. A friend of mines cat does bring her her slippers. Which is pretty impressive but only because he knows slippers mean she will be staying at home cuddling him.  :rofl:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 19:42:17 PM »
I am watching this now on catch up and can't help thinking that it would be so much better if they'd just done 2 separate programmes - 1 about cats and 1 about dogs.

What makes me laugh about this kind of thing is that Chris is there all puffed up with pride that dogs can do this, that or the other and I'm sat here proud of my boys because they'd never do that  :rofl:

The opening sequence of the programme showed a dog toasting a waffle or something and carrying it to his human (don't think I'd want to eat that!) and I swear Mosi and Kito were sniggering. If I tried to get them to do that they'd tell me to make my own  :censored: waffles!

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 01:05:43 AM »

What's his name was a pain as usual, thinks he knows everything. After I blocked him out it was interesting ;D

Offline Cherry24

• Distinguished Cat
  • Work from home which means 24/7 cat cuddles
  • Slave to: Freya & Gobi
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 22:28:46 PM »
Well the science was interesting and the animals were gorgeous and very clever :) However, the team cat, team dog thing did grate on me.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 19:46:30 PM »
Think I'll wait for feedback and then watch it on catch up if it sounds good

Offline Cherry24

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 18:14:55 PM »
Yes! He was stroking a cat on Winter Watch. I've seen Liz on a few science and nature documentaries. Everything I read about this one says she is a cat lover so I'm assuming she has a few herself.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 17:59:17 PM »
lol at the thread diversion.  I think CP has, in the past, allied himself with those who blame domestic cats for declining bird populations despite flimsy and unscientific evidence which is surprising given his usual scientific approach. I think he's said enough anti cat things over the years to draw quite a bit of criticism and I get the impression he's had to back track a bit as a bit of a public relations exercise., especially given his high profile over the past few years.  wasnt he seen with a cat on his lap at one point during the recent winter watch? Or did I imagine that?! I think he's definitely trying change his public image re cats and I suspect that's because he knows that a lot of potential viewers of his tv programmes are cat lovers.

I don't know much about Liz but I recall a TV programme about a research project she was involved in re Siberian tigers so I suspect she likes cats both large and small.

Offline Cherry24

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 14:54:30 PM »
During his punk phase?  :) I was ignorant of his charms back then. I think he left the show when I was just leaving primary school (he's quite a bit older than me). Anyway, I've steered this thread away from its original intended discussion. Sorry  :shy:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 14:16:51 PM »
I used to when he was on the really wild show  :rofl:

Offline Cherry24

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 14:12:34 PM »

Disclaimer: I do fancy Chris Packham so am slightly biased.

you can't tell  :rofl:
I thought I'd hidden it quite well  :shy:  ;)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 13:48:07 PM »

you can't tell  :rofl:

Offline Cherry24

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 13:35:19 PM »
I don't think Chris ever said he didn't like cats, I'm pretty sure he likes all animals. He said something along the lines of he would prefer if people kept their cats in at night as he thinks their night time hunting is detrimental to wildlife.
Quote:
“Both cats and dogs have the potential to damage our wildlife – why do we allow dogs on to nature reserves, for example? It’s anathema to me. And cat owners can help by keeping their pets indoors at night.”
"Packham insists he 'isn't a cat-hater' and sees them as 'beautiful animals and wonderfully evolved predators'
He also said his views on the wildlife impact have softened after further research found the problem was confined to a minority.

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 13:08:55 PM »
I wont watch it, as I really can't stand Christ Packham.  Have you seen Didga on Catmantoo on You Tube, thats a very well trained kitty:

Didga and the dogs doing tricks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_MqiGb0Qzk

Didga skateboarding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRbakPKgU5Y

Kitty Parkour with Didga:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMUqfDlEFlA

Also there is a beauty called Cashmere - I wonder if she is a Wiggie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i-bt9dYH1w
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 13:11:45 PM by Purdy Bear »

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 11:53:23 AM »
Totally agree with what others have said. Why do we always compare cats and dogs? Can't we like them both. How someone can love cats and hate dogs and visa versa is ridiculous. I prefer cats as my companions generally but have had dogs that I've loved very much. I like Chris Packham but the fact that he doesn't like cats makes me think he must actually be a bit of an idiot. He obviously doesn't understand them and that's a big failing in his line of work.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 07:01:19 AM »
I was hoping to watch this, but will be watching other stuff I always watch, and recording Dickensian (which has been brilliant!).

Thinking about the "which is best" thing, I love and have shared my life with cats and dogs.  Neither is "best" - they're just different.  As you say - maybe irritating trying to put the argument for either

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 06:51:59 AM »
Yes, I got that impression from the trailers too.

I just get annoyed at the previews where they set it up as a cats v dogs and which is best, even if it is in jest.  best at what?  we all know that cats will do what they want when they want  :rofl:

Offline Cherry24

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 18:43:18 PM »
I think Chris Packham is looking into the dog side of things and Liz Bonin is doing the cat bit. Could be wrong but I think that's what I read last week. I agree that it shouldn't be cats vs dogs but more a scientific look into both without the rivalry aspect.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 18:16:43 PM »
I'm not sure I will watch this. I get fed up with these kind of programmes that try to compare cats and dogs and say one is better than the other. They are different species with different qualities. Then there's the fact that one of the presenters is Chris Packham. I like him on springwatch etc but it's no secret he doesn't like cats.

Offline Cherry24

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 16:11:22 PM »
I'm looking forward to this too. In terms of training cats, I think they are quite trainable. Ours play fetch. We've clicker trained them to sit for a treat and trained them to run around their cat wheel. They are also very adept at using all puzzle feeders.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 15:45:56 PM »
Won't be able to watch the first one live but have the series on record and am looking forward to watching it  ;D

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
Documentary Thurs cats v's dogs
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 14:29:53 PM »
Thurs 4th Feb 8pm BBC2

I think its a series.

If you read the whole article you wont need to watch the programme(s)  :shify:  :rofl:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3423756/Proof-cat-loves-FIVE-times-dog-know-moggies-aloof-new-scientific-tests-reveal-differences-greater-think.html
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Link to CatChat