Author Topic: Two cats needing vet treatment, advice please  (Read 7959 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Two cats needing vet treatment, advice please
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 17:51:51 PM »
I can only echo whatb Sue has said and justbso sad that all the good people are strugglingb for funds andnunwell themselves.

In wonder if Cat Chat would be able to advertize them for you?

Thank youn for caring and looking after them   :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline motherclanger

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Jake. RIP Mitzi, Molly, Goldie and Elwood
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 09:27:21 AM »
Thank you Sue  :Luv: :hug:

On the way home from the vet last night I was so upset for them both and so worried about their future.  I still am, but now you have given me a glimmer of hope so bless you x

Bobtail is in the kitchen now, thoroughly p****d off after having her flea treatment and ear drops this morning.  She's so not talking to me at the moment lol.

Haven't seen Snowflake yet this morning, but she normally appears about this time for breakfast and then spends the rest of the day sleeping upstairs on the landing, while my three take refuge on our bed.  It's starting to feel like a cat sanctuary here.  :Crazy:  ;D

(Whilst writing I would just like to say what a wonderful job 'Cats in Care' in Birmingham are doing.  They paid for Bobtail's and Snowflake's treatments and spend between £1,000 and £3,000 per month helping cats, mainly with neutering but other stuff too.  After ringing them again this morning to thank them again for their help, I was sorry to hear that they are struggling to cover costs and may not be around for a great deal longer.  I shall be taking up a membership with them to try and give something back.  If anyone else wants to help them their number is 0121 688 1362, the lady I spoke to is Pauline who herself has been unwell and is only just out of hospital with carers coming in.  God bless her.)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:04:54 AM by motherclanger »

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 08:41:15 AM »
The poor little girls.  Fancy having to go through all of that untreated.  Although presumably Bobtail received treatment at the time of her injury, it seems it may have been too much for whoever she belonged to.

Such young cats to be just abandoned.   :(

Although I shouldn't really say that - if they do turn out to be microchipped it may shed light on what's happened to them. 

There are a band of lovely and wonderful people out there who specialize in taking on and re-homing special needs cats, of which I would say Bobtail is certainly one, and incontinent cats have successfully been rehomed before.  We've had a few of them on Purrs. 

I think this is all really positive, as the more information you're able to put together for prospective adopters, the better it will be.  And it may be that another cat charity would be able to step in with regard to finding a long term home for both Snowflake and Bobtail, if you were able to foster them in the interim.

I think you're amazing motherclanger.   :) You're giving these two another chance at a quality life, and I hope they can both find really good, caring lifelong homes.

Offline motherclanger

• Kitten
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 07:42:28 AM »
Just an update on our vet visit. :)

They are both girls as I suspected.  The one we have christened Bobtail (the tailless one) is roughly 5 years old.  She has a build up of something nasty in her ears but it's not mites apparently.  We have to give her ear drops twice a day and massage it in.  (Can't wait - not) :).  Her teeth are not bad so that was a relief.  Vet said some cats do get in the habit of sticking their tongues out.  The main problem is her incontinence, he said there is not much he can do, it looks like there is permanent damage from when she lost her tail which is what we thought.  There is some medication they can try, which may help her have more control over the sphincter muscle and stop any urine/faeces leaking out, it is usually used in dogs.  This would be an ongoing medication so obviously we, or any future owner would have to take that on board.  A bit worrying as I don't know if there will be many prospective new owners who would be willing to take that on. 

The second cat, who we have christened Snowflake, is roughly 2 or 3 years old.  She also has ear problems but much worse, which we knew.  I thought maybe she had sun damage and one of her ears looked to me like it had been ripped open at one point and just left to heal.  But the vet said no, she has a bad case of ear mites which has basically been going on for a very long time and she has scratched so much that she has a hematoma in the one ear.   Poor baby. :(  So she also has to have ear drops twice a day.  Other than that she seems ok, her teeth are not bad either.

After we left the vet, I realised we forgot to ask him to scan for a chip in them both.   :doh:  We were in there for ages and I completely forgot.  I think we will probably have to go back again anyway so I will have to make sure I remember next time.  I think we will have to try the medication for Bobtail, he didn't prescribe it yesterday because he said Cats in Care would not be able to pay for any ongoing treatments which is fair enough.  We will have to pay for that, at least we will know what sort of cost we're talking about so any future owner would be aware.  Snowflake may have to go back and be sedated to have her ears cleaned out properly, we will see how she goes on the ear drops.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 14:43:14 PM »
Hope all goes well  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 13:33:40 PM »
Good luck for this aftie.  I hope all goes smoothly, and look forward to your update.  Fingers crossed!

Offline motherclanger

• Kitten
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 12:27:33 PM »
They are seeing our vet at 4:40 today, Cats in Care will be helping with the cost for basic things like fleaing/worming/neutering if needed etc so that will help a great deal.  I'm guessing anything major will have to be covered by ourselves but at least we will get some assistance which we are very grateful for.

Will let you know how they get on. :)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 20:08:31 PM »
Good luck tomorrow, Lets pray for a microchip.

Offline motherclanger

• Kitten
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 07:20:00 AM »
Not yet, but they will be.  Just waiting to hear back from TeamCatRescue to see if they can help with vet fees.  I'm hoping to take them to our vet on Monday.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 14:51:14 PM »
CP should be able to advertise them on their web page for rehoming. Have they been chip scanned?

Offline motherclanger

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 16:53:18 PM »
I didn't realise you were on FB, ty Gill x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 12:15:59 PM »
Another option is to try our FB page as amazing things happen there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/91388455703/?fref=ts

Offline motherclanger

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 10:06:00 AM »
Yes I was a bit reluctant to ring the RSPCA, they have proven to me several times in the past that they are useless.  I will have a look at catchat and try and find more local rescue centres, ty Sue. 

To be honest, it's really nice just to speak to people who also care for cats so thank you all for listening and trying to help  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 09:49:53 AM »
This is often the difficulty with local branches.  They assume - rightly or wrongly, that someone who has been taking care of a cat has in some way assumed ownership.  And the RSPCA will be worse than useless.  A lot depends on who you can speak to at the branches too - some are worse than useless, and others are just way too busy, but if you get someone who is interested it can make the world of difference.

I think it's worth approaching one or two more rescues in your area, because if (as we suspect) they wont be able to help, you may have a better chance at getting somewhere like the Blue Cross or Battersea to take an interest in these two - particularly given the health issues they have (whereas RSPCA would probably suggest PTS).

I wonder if it's worth trying to get these two on Catchat, as well, in order to raise their profile?

http://www.catchat.org/

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 09:44:50 AM »
but they aren't your cats are they, they won't help strays?

Offline motherclanger

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 09:34:55 AM »
Spoke to Cats Protection this morning, they told me to ring the RSPCA, who only help with vets bills if you're on benefits.  So no help there unfortunately.  :'(

Offline motherclanger

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 21:10:59 PM »
Thank you for the support guys  :hug:  I must admit the Blue Cross or Battersea didn't occur to me at all, but as you say may be worth just asking the question.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 20:24:56 PM »
Bless you for taking care of these little souls  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 18:48:27 PM »
They both look so lovely, poor little loves.  You're an absolute star for your care of them.  I wonder if the Blue Cross could help, or even Battersea - I appreciate you aren't in their area, but sometimes they can step up and take cats in from elsewhere.  It might be possible to organise a travel relay to assist with transportation.  You really could do with some help with these two.   :hug:

Offline motherclanger

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 15:57:14 PM »
Yes they are lovely  :Luv:   I've messaged North Birmingham Cats Protection, waiting for them to get back to me.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 13:59:44 PM »
They are gorgeous, have you tried your nearest CP?

Offline motherclanger

• Kitten
Two cats needing vet treatment, advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 12:57:13 PM »
Hi there. I'm just after some advice please. I live in North Birmingham.

I've been feeding two cats that have been coming into our garden for several months now, a white one and a tortoiseshell one.  I think they are both girls but not sure.  I already have three cats of my own so I can't give them a permanent home.  Heaven knows the last time either of them saw a vet, they both have ear irritation, maybe mites?   I think the white cat needs her ears amputating due to sun damage, they are hard and crumpled. Both of them dribble so maybe have teeth problems, sometimes the tortoiseshell one's tongue sticks out.  She  has no tail, seems to have incontinence problems, the newspaper in the outdoor bed is soiled every morning and has to be changed frequently. I dread to think how much it will cost to get them both sorted and I'm by no means rich, my three cost enough as it is. I'm not eligible for PDSA so I was wondering if there are other organisations that can maybe help with costs in cases like these? I need to re-home them but there's no chance of that with all their health problems, I'm sure it would put any prospective new owners off.  I'm at a loss as to what to do.  The sad thing is they are both really affectionate and would make wonderful pets. 

Link to CatChat