Author Topic: Get rid of the no-pets clause in rented accommodation  (Read 4111 times)

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
Re: Get rid of the no-pets clause in rented accommodation
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 19:11:57 PM »
I don't agree, as more people are having to rent in this country. The laws need to change so that people can live a secure and normal life. This includes having pets and children. The landlord is supplying a service to a customer. Unfortunately the landlord is in too strong a position at the moment as there aren't enough houses. We need to learn from Europe where most people rent.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 22:26:12 PM »
As much as I love my cats and sympathize with people trying to find rented accommodation that allows pets, I really think it is up to owners whether they allow them or not. I don't think a petition is going to do anything.

PS - I don't own any properties, other than the house I live in!
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 14:05:37 PM »
Surely these are the type of people that trash properties anyway regardless of whether they have pets. I think it should be illegal to not allow pets. I have rented in the past and couldn't wait to buy my own place again. Most landlords make you feel like second class citizens with their no pet, no unemployed, no children, no pictures on the wall. It really is about time renters were given more rights.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 12:03:35 PM »
Sadly the "no pets" clause is often found in flats that are owner occupied too as part of the restrictive covenants.   :(

I agree about the responsible pet ownership too.  In my line of work I've seen clients whose properties have been trashed by folk who've let their pets toilet in the properties, scratched and damaged walls and woodwork etc.  It really does have to be a mutual co-operation and respect undertaking.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 11:41:25 AM »
signed, but doubt it will ever come to pass unfortunately.

I agree, unfortunately not all pet owners are responsible, and its really up to the landlord who they want as a tennant. A friends Dad rents out properties and has had to recarpet a whole house due to flea infestations before.

I dont know if I have posted this before, but my parents recently bought a flat and they aren't allowed pets. I didn't believe them at first, but it is part of their leasehold agreement  :Crazy:

Signed it though!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 13:38:48 PM »
signed, but doubt it will ever come to pass unfortunately.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Link to CatChat