Author Topic: Drops or Pills  (Read 4523 times)

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: Drops or Pills
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 17:12:58 PM »

That's the American Amazon. If you check Amazon UK you will see they don't sell it.

You are quite right. I'm afraid I didn't notice that in my haste  :-[

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 00:00:44 AM »

That's the American Amazon. If you check Amazon UK you will see they don't sell it.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 22:55:08 PM »
All mine get the injection and the dogs are on the tablet version and we are flea free
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline pussinbooties

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Katie, Mr Bubs, Poppy and Bella
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 20:45:39 PM »
I've just read that review. Certainly makes you wonder. I thought it could only be bought at the vets ie prescription only and therefore to be trusted. Not so sure now.

The collars are quick release. Katie has 'lost' several.

So is the injection good? Frontline isn't effective anymore round here.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 16:38:48 PM »
One of the reviews says it is not a breakaway collar so I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole ...... quite apart from the possible  adverse reactions a few have mentioned  :scared:

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 10:23:58 AM »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 08:39:02 AM »
Oh dear   :scared: :scared: :scared:

I really don't have time to do research on Seresto collars and hope someone else does. Pleeeez!

My gut reaction is a simple no to any type of flea collar on a cat.  I am esp wary of something that purports to work for 8 months and sincerely hope the collars are quick relase if they catch on anything.  Sorry to be so blunt.  I just have so little time today  :hug: :hug:

Offline pussinbooties

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Katie, Mr Bubs, Poppy and Bella
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 21:10:16 PM »
Milbemax seem to taste nice according to mine. They lick them from my fingers.

I'd not heard of a 6 monthly injection before.

For fleas, my older cats wear Seresto collars which last several months ( maybe 8 from memory?). Good for ticks too.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 09:50:38 AM »
Giving tablets is a lot less scary than it seems (usually!)

I hate the spot on worm treatment - it leaves the fur grreasy for ages after youve put it on...

I too am a milbemax fan - two of mine eat them like treats as they have a beef flavoured coating. Denzel I have to put it in her mouth and she hates me for like 5mins after. But they are so much smaller than Drontal.
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Sigord

• Adult Cat
    • Gordon's Free Software
  • Slave to: Chiana
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 09:44:22 AM »
Thanks I do have one sachet left before I open a new box. I will try it sometime, but I suspect it will need a lot more biscuits than soft meat at least the first time.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 09:09:57 AM »
Have you tried feeding her a little wet food and scattering biscuits on top?  One of our tribe, Dinah, suffers from cystitis on and off so we like her to eat wet food food in addition to her preferred urinary dry biscuits.  Seems to work well  :shy:  As to hiding pills, mushed up tuna generally does the trick here  ;)

Offline Sigord

• Adult Cat
    • Gordon's Free Software
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 06:53:49 AM »
My Chaina no longer eats any soft food just mainly Purina Pro plan from the vets then in the evening a tiny amount of Gocat and a few Temptations or Dreamies. so there is no way I can get her to eat pills. She used to also eat satchets of soft food when I first got her from the RSPCA, perhaps because they cannot afford to feed her as much as me.

I will ask the Vet if there is a reason for only eating biscuits next month. 

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 16:03:45 PM »
The injection is Program plus - all ours including my outside lot who I trap have two a year and it is great for Ticks as well as being rural mine do bring nasty friends home

Mine get one with their full boosters and the other at a 6 month interval which is great as its a free health check ;D

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 15:51:31 PM »

Astro and Zoonie are as good as gold. I sit on the floor put one of them on my knee open his mouth and pop the pill in, mouth closed pill gone. I use Drontal too and never buy anything from the vets unless it's the only place I can get it.
Sigord, when you do eventually get to the vets have you thought about the injection for fleas. It lasts 6 months and costs £50 - £60. Just a thought.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 13:28:36 PM »
I go for the shove it down the throat option most of the time - less hassle in the long run.  Mean meowmy that I am  ;)  Kito took his Drontal (half a tablet) in his food last time that was due.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 13:14:48 PM »
its probably because they will need an accurate weight for her

Offline Sigord

• Adult Cat
    • Gordon's Free Software
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 13:09:53 PM »
I probably did not make it clear. Staff at my new vet simply told me they could not sell me the drops for worming or the more powerful drops for flea protection until they examined my Chiana. Though I have papers to prove I got her from the RSPCA and all their vet records.

But as I have no transport I thought I would leave it until next month  when her flu jab is due, then pester my kind neighbour for a lift or use taxis.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 13:11:04 PM by Sigord »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 12:51:06 PM »
No I would never recommend blowing anything down a cat's mouth for fear of choking them  :scared: :scared: :scared:

Here are some tips for peeps  :)  http://icatcare.org/advice/how-give-your-cat-tablet

If you have problems, do you have a neighbour who might help?

I too am baffled as to why your vet will not let you have flea and worming treatments before giving the flu jab as they should be given more often than annually  :shify: and I would very much prefer NOT to give all three at the same time unless the cat is very difficult to handle. 

Obviously vet has to be sure of cats weight with certain treatments but if cat goes to vet for regular check ups, the weight should be on record.  Some worming pills are much easier to hide than others but you need to cover roundworms and tapeworms.  Drontal are usually much larger than Milbemax so we prefer Milbemax  :)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 10:40:01 AM »
I wrap my lots tablets - I have 3 on permanent tablets,  in cornbeef or tuna pate and can worm 40 odd cats at a time this way - mine love treats so think this is what they are getting!!!

Dogs go inside a sausage again hum variety makes life so much easier

Never try to blow in the cats mouth that is just not right or get a pill popper and the spot on liquids and the tablets cover different varieties of worms

Offline Sigord

• Adult Cat
    • Gordon's Free Software
Drops or Pills
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 08:23:08 AM »
I would never have the courage to try to prize a cat's mouth open to make it take a pill such as for worming. Also I find cats are very clever at finding if you try to crush up anything into their food.

This is why these days I resort to using drops only from the vet for worming and flea prevention. But I am a bit baffled why my vet will not sell me the best drops against fleas and only pills for worming until they actually see her next month for the flu jab.

But do you recommend blowing pills down their throat if needed, if so where do you buy a suitable tube?

Link to CatChat