Author Topic: Foods  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Foods
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 09:50:50 AM »
I start off from the point of thinking what would a cat eat if it was living wild.  The answer is meat, with a bit of grass and such like (plus the stomach contents of their prey) thrown in.  Then I factor in what I can afford, how easy it is to obtain a food and whether the cat will eat what I want them to eat.

I'm not fond of any dry food and I think there is evidence that a dry food diet is linked to increased UTIs.  I can't find the link but I have read it elsewhere.  There is anecdotal evidence that a dry food diet may be related to other factors such as kidney disease but that is not proven as far as I know, although if a cat does have kidney disease water intake is very important and cats don't have a strong thirst drive since they would get their water from their food in the wild.  So it makes sense to me to establish some wet food in the diet at an early stage.

I feed half wet and half dry (more like 2/3 wet and 1/3 dry really as I throw in a completely wet meal now and again and they have wet with added water at every meal topped with a little dry).  For dry food I feed Applaws - a small 400g bag lasts over a month with Mosi, although I'll get through more now that I have 2 cats (currenly Kito is pretty much free fed as he's a kitten and has wet and dry down most of the time).  Thrive is another good dry food.  I don't like feeding dry foods that contain grains or soy or anything like that but I appreciate the grain free dry foods tend to cost more.  You don't need much though - I think it's very easy to over feed dry food because it doesn't look much if you just put down 10g or so.  But that's all I feed per meal as there is wet food too.

For wet food, I feed Mosi a variety of grain free food from zooplus.  Check out the prices - there are some cheaper ones (Smilla I think is very reasonably priced) and they are often on offer which helps with the cost.  I like Happy Kitty Company too (Mosi likes the Macs from there plus they put a free toy mouse in with every order  ;D).  I've started buying larger tins now and freezing half as it's cheaper that way and is fine frozen - Mosi will eat it when it's defrosted without any problems.  I buy the Bozita tins from zooplus  - the 400g tins work out good value.  Remember that you tend to need less food when it is all meat than when you food something containing cereals.  Seems to fill them up more.  There are a few supermarket ones that are grain free - Butchers is competitively prices and is grain free.  Some of the Sheba ones are grain free too and Tesco own make pate is grain free.  I feed Thrive, Applaws etc wet as treats since they are expensive and most are complementary.  Kito apparently likes fresh fish and used to have a weekly treat of coley so I may have to continue that practice!  I've started feeding Mosi prepared raw lately and it's going down ok but I don't think he'd go for it every meal (I am feeding natures menu and natural instinct).

That's the grain free which, imo, is ideal.  However I know it's not as easy as that and some cats will refuse to eat them, will get upset stomach with some of these foods (I did read somewhere that's to do with different intestinal flora needed to digest the food and cats unused to grain free foods may initially have problems due it being too "rich" - I hesitate to use the word rich when talking about cat food because referring to meat as too rich for an obligate carnivore seems a bit daft!  But you know what I mean), or it may just be an affordability issue.  I appreciate the latter and that's the reason I feed any dry at all - to help keep costs down.  I am an avid label checker and always look to see whether there is any cereals, grains, soy or sugar and try to avoid those if possible.  Mosi does best without any grains.  That may be because it's what his body is used to as I've fed him that way since he was a kitten.  Jaffa, however, was a felix addict and lived to 17 years old without major health problems until the end (kidney disease and high blood pressure).  He did eat a fair amount of grain free food during his middle years but he started off with Felix/Whiskas and in his last few years ate the senior versions and eventually renal food.

So  not trying to lecture or make anyone feel bad for feeding food containing cereals but I think it's so easy to just pick stuff up off the supermarket without thinking much about it.  My own ethos is to start off with what is an ideal diet for a hypothetical cat with no health problems then work back from there.  Once you've made a decision and are happy with it don't let anyone make you feel bad for feeding whatever you feed.  Knowledge is power.

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 22:42:09 PM »

My Hoolicats get Felix AGAIL, doubly delicious fish and crunchy crumbles fish, they occasionally eat the meat flavours.
They also have dry food, James Wellbeloved turkey, Royal Canin exigent 35/30, purina one chicken and the salmon. They have had pro plan when it was on offer.

They get fed 6 times a day on wet food, half a packet per meal, plus they have dry food as well. They are indoor cats but they are very active hoolicats . Both of them are 16 months old and weigh in at over 5.7kg each, one of them is probably nearer 7kg I will find out at the vet next week.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 01:41:15 AM »
Proplan can be bought from PAH its about £21 for 3kg bag and often comes up on  offer.....surely cheaper than the vet,,,,,,,,they also do deliveries.

Offline Sigord

• Adult Cat
    • Gordon's Free Software
  • Slave to: Chiana
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 11:14:10 AM »
Thanks I am not sure we can trust all vets. I and my kind neighbours who give me many lifts to the vets and hospital both changed our vet. The last one charges over £100 for a blood test when my poor Poppy stopped eating, to show she had a liver infection. All they offered were antibiotic pills she of course could not eat or pay some £500 to look after her for a week, I believe just to force feed her the pills.

So never wanting a pet to suffer I had to pay them to put her to sleep. Looking back I dunno why they could not have given her an injection or two. They once claimed never give a cat the sachets.

She was overweight partly due to me giving her only Gocat etc. Which is why I now buy big bags for Purina Proplan from the new vets, and only give her that and tiny amounts or Temptations and some times very little Gocat.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 10:58:49 AM »
It's difficult to keep an eye on water consumption when you have a number of cats so I prefer our lot to eat at least partly wet food.

We have 7 of the blighters running our home  ;) so can't afford the pricey wet food.  They have to make do with Felix as good as it looks and I stock up when on special offer.  Some prefer the meat flavours and some the fish and tend to like the doubly delicious varieties.  Like Gill's though, what flavours they like changes from one week to the next  :innocent:

We get the higher meat content dry foods (James Well Beloved, Hill's Science Plan and of course Royal Canin Urinary for Dinah due to her recurring cystitis issues)

None of them starve, that's for sure  :) and we resort to the posh pricey stuff if anyone is off their food.

Have you tried a small amount of wet food and with a sprinkling of dry on top? 

We don't free feed either as we have one little elephant princess who has no concept of leaving a little fud till later  :) 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 17:21:07 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm now you got me lol

I give Sasa a treat of a PAH tuna flakes, it has a blue label and no shrimps..............mine dont like shrimps.

Only as a treat though.

Sure others can give you loads of ideas mine eat small tins of  Gourmet that I get in tescos and flat tins of Sheba from same place, they are ridiculously fussy and can go off a food at the drop of a hat!

Quite a variety of stuff in PAH, think Applaws is quite good but mine only eat the basic foods lol

Offline Sigord

• Adult Cat
    • Gordon's Free Software
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 06:40:27 AM »
Thanks What make do you or anyone suggest please.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 16:09:03 PM »
No just fussy  :shify: :shify:

Proplan so much better than Go Cat  ;D

Maybe worth trying her on a good quality tin or pouch every so often to see if she will change her mind  ;D

Offline Sigord

• Adult Cat
    • Gordon's Free Software
Foods
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 13:26:09 PM »
Like my previous cat my Chiana ate almost anything when I got her from the lovely local RSPCA last September. Perhaps because they cannot afford to give them too much. But now like my previous female she will only eat biscuits. I buy a big bag of Purina Proplan Housecat from the local vet, because feeding Gocat to my last cat was partly responsible for her being overweight.

Does refusing to eat any soft foods such as in tins or sachets indicate any possible health problems?

Gordon

Link to CatChat