Author Topic: Sparky's successor  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
Re: Sparky's successor
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 15:31:33 PM »
I introduced a young adult female cat to my two older boys – read about it here http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,43727.0.html.

It can take time – the best part of six months for my three – and it does help if you have enough rooms with doors on to separate Lola and a newcomer if you need to call time out.

As others have suggested, try talking to some rescues to see if they can recommend a suitable companion for Lola.  Nothing will ever replace Sparky but I’m a great believer in cats’ ability to pick the right slave.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 12:12:33 PM »
I think the sooner the better and would also use a good rescue if you have one,

Its really luck of the drawe and think one closer to your cats age rather thaan very young.

I bought a 10 month birman to join my male and female and he drov

e them up the wall and still does the female with play with me play with me lol.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 10:42:10 AM »
I'd talk to your local rescue, they should know which cats get on with others. If they really don't get on, as a last resort they could go back.

Here is some info about introducing cats http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4789.0.html

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 10:20:13 AM »
I would say the younger the better - its just my experience but I took a two year old from a relative who was terminally ill and she has never got on with my resident cat, to the point that they need a locked door between them and time share the garden.  Obviously it has a lot to do with the personality of your older cat and mine is a Bengal which probably says it all!

Offline NigelBC

• Kitten
Sparky's successor
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 10:10:34 AM »
I'm looking for advice on introducing a new cat/kitten to a home where there is already a well established adult female.

My cat Lola lost her brother to illness in February and I think she might welcome another cat. As well as missing her brother, I think she may be finding adjusting to being a solo cat very challenging. Despite being unsure if I'm ready to love another cat (Sparky left a big cat shaped hole in our lives), I think now might be a good time to introduce Lola to another cat.

I'm thinking about adopting another rescue cat, preferably a younger moggy (not too set in its ways!). Any advice on how to manage such an introduction - or whether it's even advisable - would be welcome.

Link to CatChat