Author Topic: weird behaviour after chucking up a hairball.  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: weird behaviour after chucking up a hairball.
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 15:21:00 PM »
Beware - after tuna and cuddles Crystal will now decide to puke every 2 hours  :rofl:

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 12:28:12 PM »
I do tend to cluck and coo when they upchuck. And stroke them where possible. Then I'm out with the kitchen roll & baby wipes to clear up. Bless her, Crystal's reaction was just bizarre. She's in her usual form now!!!
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 12:09:03 PM »
I agree, the physical action of vomiting is pretty traumatic and she would have associated the "product" with the trauma. That's why she hid. Please dont fret, as Sue says, she will pick up on your reaction so best to ignore the vomiting and clean up the muck before reassuring her that everything is normal.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 10:16:27 AM »
My two hide when they are sick. Like Lillie they aren't sick often, so I don't think they know what's happening. They are quite nervous cats but have never been badly treated or shouted at. Some cats like people are just sensitive. I do try to talk to them calmly when they are being sick and as others say, stay calm. I remember when I was young it used to be grab the cat get them outside asap. Poor things couldn't have been happy. Fortunately I have all hard floors now so don't have the problem of them wrecking carpet.     

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 08:31:33 AM »
It really was odd. But she's back to her usual sweetness this morning. It breaks my heart to think she has been yelled at or smacked in the past.
I'll love you forever

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 08:08:59 AM »
I'm sure it had nothing to do with you or what she thought you may do, mad_lili.  As Gill says, some cats find the action of being sick quite unnerving, and a cat's instinct when it is vulnerable is to make itself less vulnerable - usually by hiding.  The best way to approach this is to stay calm yourself, almost ignoring her reaction - if she senses anxiety in you over what happened, that will reinforce her feeling of fear, so if you stay calm and unruffled, she'll know that she can come to you once she's feeling braver, and you can administer cuddles and reassurance aplenty.   :hug:

When we first brought Moray home, Moray would run and hide, peeping out at us from his concealed place after he used the litter tray.  He always looked very nervous and skittish. However, we suspect that was because he had been yelled at and told off in his previous home, which hadnt got him and his sister off to the best of starts.  He very quickly overcame that though, once we would praise him for using the tray and show him he'd been very clever as we admired his handiwork ( :innocent: the things we do....  :evillaugh:)

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 03:09:29 AM »
Lilli does the backwards thing too. Poor little mite has had tuna & cuddles and treats too. Hopefully she knows she's safe & loved.
I'll love you forever

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 02:10:50 AM »
Maybe she was just worried about being sick. Misa backs away from where he is trying to be sick, very strange.

I hope she has sedttled now and you need to show her you are not angry or anything.

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
weird behaviour after chucking up a hairball.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 01:34:49 AM »
My smallest baby is rarely sick (maybe 4 times in 3 years). Tonight, she sicked up a teeny hairball amongst some biscuits etc. Afterwards she ran away and hid. I've known this to happen if a cat has been smacked after being sick, but none of mine ever has whilst living with me. Then, she got really shouty, crying at me. She seems to have settled a bit now, but I'll be taking her to bed with me anyways. Could she have been scared I was going to hit her? I gave her some tuna and she ate that and now she's up beside me as normal. She's always a very sweet natured wee thing so this is totally out of character.
I'll love you forever

Link to CatChat