Author Topic: Bereaved  (Read 8739 times)

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Re: Bereaved
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2015, 12:27:31 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 19:24:41 PM »
Could be, Nigel.  If you can be patient with introductions.  What is Lola like?  What are her characteristics?  I think if you choose a cat companion with care, he or she  should fit in very well.  There's a link I have somewhere with some great info but will need to be on big poota to find it.  Can't do copy/paste on the kindle.  :evillaugh:

Offline NigelBC

• Kitten
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 09:58:47 AM »
Thanks Gill, An4rew and all for your kind messages.
It has got easier over time, thanks to PIOH and the excellent Blue Cross pet bereavement service.
I'm now thinking of how things can be made better for Lola, Sparky's sister who is missing her brother still (she goes out to wait for him most evenings). I am wondering whether another cat would be company for her?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 18:40:07 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline an4rew

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Buzz, Rossi RIP, Elvis RIP
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2015, 23:16:05 PM »
my condolences to you Nigel, i know what your going through.  :hug:
its awful, i hope in time we can both heal.
† Rossi 27/12/2014 †
† Elvis 21/11/2015 †

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 20:47:56 PM »

So sorry for your loss. I spoke to the Blue Cross as well when I lost my Tigger then Lulu. They are very good.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 12:28:40 PM »
Jezebel, I love your strap line!

Thank you - alas, it's not mine! I paraphrased it (I think the original said "dog").
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline NigelBC

• Kitten
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 12:24:07 PM »
Yes - I had a shock last week when I thought Lola was sleeping on the sofa and she walked in through the back door. It's only recently I've appreciated how alike they are.

Lola seems to have needed extra love since Sparky passed - or perhaps she realises that we do!  :sneaky:

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 12:16:41 PM »
Sparky is very handsome.  :Luv:  They look very alike for sure and I'm sure you realise he left a little bit of him with his sister and with you x  :Luv2:
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline NigelBC

• Kitten
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 12:09:07 PM »
Jezebel, I love your strap line!

Losing Sparky has really made me value the work of cat rescue charities (such as Celia Hammond Animal Trust, who rescued Sparky's mum and her family) all the more.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 11:15:14 AM »
Gorgeous photos!
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline NigelBC

• Kitten
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 10:19:20 AM »
Thanks Soufflé - it is getting better

You can see a pic of Sparky (and Lola if you look carefully) at https://www.flickr.com/photos/boxley/3372904320/in/set-72157615832357552

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 15:24:38 PM »
Lola is lovely and am sure she misses her bro a bit but funny how cats manage to kind of live two lives, one with their fur family to keep the peace and the other totally self indulgent  :innocent:

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 15:19:04 PM »
aww she is just beautiful. I am glad she is settling down a bit now and hope that you too are feeling a little less sad x

Offline NigelBC

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 14:55:01 PM »
This is Lola https://www.flickr.com/photos/boxley/15989610414/, who lost her brother Sparky two weeks ago after a sudden illness.

Lola is now top cat in her home; she eats her dinner in peace, no longer worries about Sparky pouncing on her or taking the best spot on the sofa.

But I think she misses him anyway.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 08:13:03 AM »
So sorry Nigel and glad Lola is there to help you through it :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 07:11:29 AM »

Cats are like us - they each react differently to the grieving process, but grieve they do.

Lola may well thrive being the only cat.  The great thing is that you're all there for each other.   In time, you will all adjust, and will move forwards, and meanwhile we're here if you want to hang out with folk who know what it is to lose a much loved cat companion.   :hug:

Offline NigelBC

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 16:35:12 PM »
Thanks for your reply Stuart et al

It has been very helpful sharing on here - I feel it is very important to engage with other cat lovers.

On a positive note, I think Sparky's sister Lola is responding to the extra attention she deserves and although she knows her world is different, she's not looking for her brother so much. It's worse for her of course - she's known Sparky the longest!

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 20:56:31 PM »
So sorry mate  :'(
I know exactly what you are going through..... you must remember that Sparky was a big part of your life and it will take time
You will find you will go through the grieving process, and start thinking about all the what if's......... did this with my Hamish :(
although He was 17, I was racked with guilt because I never noticed he was unwell............ Hamish's loss hit me pretty hard
that was how I initially found Purrs, asking for advice as he was diagnosed with CRF ( kidney failure ) little did I know that it would
only be five days after joining that I had to say goodbye to my wee mannie  :'(
Everyone on here is like minded and understand what you are going through, in that aspect, I got comfort from talking to people
who understood where I was coming from..
You are in the right place and we are all here for you  :hug:

another thing which helped me was I still had my Misty, you still have Lola, try and keep your mind off the sad thoughts and concentrate
on loving Lola even more 
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 19:59:13 PM »
So sorry for your loss Nigel  :hug: :hug: :hug:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline NigelBC

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 08:52:47 AM »
Thank you Soufflé and everyone for your kind comments. The suggestion about the Blue Cross is particularly helpful.

Sparky had a terrific life, which he seized with all four paws. I just wish he'd had more of it although I'm reminded that if it were not for the Blue Cross, Celia Hammond (through whom Lola and Sparky came to us) and others, many cats would have no life at all, or a pretty abysmal one.

Pictures soon, although you can see Sparky (left) on my user ID.

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 21:21:52 PM »
So sorry for your loss and agree with everythings the others have said  :hug: :hug:

I used the blue Cross service after losing my first cat, they were very good. Had to use email cos couldnt talk on phone

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 19:53:06 PM »
So very sorry to hear about Sparky  :hug: :hug: :hug:  He was obviously a much loved member of the family so it is no wonder you feel his loss so keenly. It will get easier with time  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 18:08:07 PM »
Aww, sweetheart, a week is nothing, especially as Sparky's passing was so sudden and at such a young age. Give yourself time to grieve properly and the hurt will start to fade.

Sadly, feeling guilty is a normal part of the process. It will fade too.

:hug:

Couldnt agree more.  The grieving process will take time, and it's not easy.   :hug: :hug:  I think all of us know the awful devastating hole that we fall into when we lose one of our beloved animals in this way, and its so very hard when they're young too.

My heart goes out to you and your family.  Be gentle with yourself.  If you feel able, you could think about creating a memorial  for Sparky, or you could post some pictures of your beautiful boy on this, his special thread. 

Many of us do so, in remembrance of those we've lost and loved.  In time, you will be able to remember the special times, the happy times, and they will help to ease the pain - not at first, because everything is still much too raw.  :hug: :hug:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 16:55:09 PM »
Aww, sweetheart, a week is nothing, especially as Sparky's passing was so sudden and at such a young age. Give yourself time to grieve properly and the hurt will start to fade.

Sadly, feeling guilty is a normal part of the process. It will fade too.

:hug:

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 13:24:28 PM »
I am so sorry for your loss and the sadness you feel. I think many have us have been there and felt the sense of doubt you feel now but it does get better and only time can heal your heart. Never doubt your choice though. Doubt and regret are a waste of emotional energy and eat away at your soul. Remember that any choice made from love is always the right choice. It has to be. You had the strength to give him peace and freedom from suffering when he needed it and the price you pay is losing a very special part of your life.
It will get better and you will be able to look back and smile. Let yourself be sad but also let things move on. Lola will sense your sadness and also has her own to deal with. She will need lots of tenderness and contact and kind words to help her through this. She shared a journey with you and she is not ready to go yet so focus on her and give each other lots of love.
You may want to talk with someone at the Blue Cross
http://www.bluecross.org.uk/2083/pet-bereavement-support-service.html
I hope that soon your heart will start to heal x

Offline NigelBC

• Kitten
Bereaved
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 12:16:42 PM »
I can't stop thinking about my beautiful tabby, Sparky, who had to be euthanised following a sudden illness a week ago. I'm still in shock and still can't shake off the (illogical) notion that I let him down.

He was such a great cat, affable, happy and loved his life with us and his sister Lola. He was only six and we're all grieving terribly, including Lola who keeps looking for her brother, crying and over grooming.

The pain is showing no sign of dissipating and I don't know what to do.

Link to CatChat