Author Topic: Sore under chin  (Read 17454 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Sore under chin
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2014, 19:35:39 PM »
Pav, I wondered how your wrists and arms are feeling now? Your Doc didn't mention anything that suggests mites or parasites might be to blame so that's one less variable. It reminds me of a rash me and my Mum suffer from which turns out to be a citrus allergy and manifests around the finger and wrist joints, is extremely blistery and itchy when the blisters burst. The solution is hayfever pills, Piriton etc. A cheap way of assessing if yours is an allergic reaction might be to take an anti-histamine and see if that helps?

BTW, I looooove tiny chocs and so do the Tuftyclub  ;)  :thankyou: :thankyou:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2014, 10:17:49 AM »
Ouch Pav - that insurance set up is painful as well!  :-: :doh:

How are the fleas faring?  I hope that now you're seeing a significant decline in activity, and that both Felicity and Mr J are suffering less.  The boys send their love to Aunty Pav.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2014, 08:21:56 AM »
Blimey Pav, increasing their insurance by £117 seems a bit excessive  :-:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2014, 09:23:46 AM »
If your dic doeswnt know the answer why dont you get a referral to a pain clinic?

Lethargic fleas definately a sign that everything is working  ;D

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2014, 05:58:59 AM »
Aha! Foxes do have fleas,Pav. You've just nailed your problem  ;D the Stronghold will kill any new fleas that jump onto Felicity , but I'd definitely give the flat one more spray. Have you noticed the new fleas are more lethargic? I think the spray makes them infertile so they cant lay eggs.  :sneaky:

Hope you got some answers from your Doc, too.  :hug: :hug:

Thank you, Sheila. Yes they are more lethargic. Felicity back still twitching but when I combed her tonight couldn't find any thing.
Am afraid doc wasn't much help, she said she doesn't know why I have the pain and prescribed more Amitriptyline! As for my hand she said its to do with central heating and dry air but gave me Betamethasone.
Hope your cold is getting better.

Thank you Gill, stronghold you sent us has helped a lot. Still waiting for prescription to arrive.

Sue, thank you sweet heart. x :hug:

Allison, thank you. :hug: :hug:
Got a letter from J Lewis insurance for Felicity, they have increased the charge from £200.13 last year to £317.00 this year called them to ask why and they said cos of vet fees going up we have to increase our insurance! :sneaky:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 06:02:49 AM by pappilon »

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2014, 22:09:28 PM »
Aww Pav, you've been having a tough time haven't you sweetie. Sending lots of  :hug: :hug: :hug:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2014, 18:27:35 PM »
Pav, in the face of being unable to do something physical to help, I have resorted to humour, and hope that this little ditty I've penned will make you smile.....

"If I wasn't a flea, what would I be?
I could be a pirate and sail the high seas.
I could be a Spaceman
and leap to the moon.
I could be a cowboy
and star in High Noon.
Bit I is wot I  is   :-:
Wot I is, is me
No pirate, no spaceman
Wot I is, is a flea.
I dines on blood and I
Jumps real high
I itch and I scratch
And I just won't die  ;)
unless and of course
your muscles you flex
and you sweep through your flat
with that darned Indorex.   :doh:"

:evillaugh:

Pav, you know I wish you well, and hoping that the little critters will all be breathing their last.  Love from me, Tinks, Moray, Fred and Ted.   :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2014, 13:11:52 PM »
Stronghold also makes them infertile and they do not have to bite to die.

Hope that the problem just fades awau now  :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2014, 10:34:18 AM »
Aha! Foxes do have fleas,Pav. You've just nailed your problem  ;D the Stronghold will kill any new fleas that jump onto Felicity , but I'd definitely give the flat one more spray. Have you noticed the new fleas are more lethargic? I think the spray makes them infertile so they cant lay eggs.  :sneaky:

Hope you got some answers from your Doc, too.  :hug: :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2014, 10:23:12 AM »
Thank you every one, yes they are still few fleas on Mr J and Felicity but  small ones. Think i need to treat the Flat one more time so have ordered Indorex from vet uk to come with stronghold so repeat treatment in January :-: I comb them every night and try to get wots there out. I wonder if foxes have fleas? Felicity sits so close to them its kind of scary  :scared:

Have a great weekend every one. :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2014, 12:12:40 PM »
How did you get on Pav?  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2014, 08:14:20 AM »
pav it does take  a few days for them all to die, the new ones hatching now are probably what you are finding it took about three days before we stopped finding live ones  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2014, 06:59:13 AM »

Pav, you're having such a rotten run of luck of late, and am so sorry.  I agree that it's worth talking things through with your Doc, as you have more going on than you can handle.   :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2014, 01:09:46 AM »
I agree with Sheila and good you are seeing your doc, hopefully she will be able to shed some light on the rash. dont forget to tell her your battle with the fleas and the use of acclaim. If you have the old can take it with you but make sure she knows that you need to use something to break the flea cycle  I am pretty sure it will not be the stronghold but could be any knew cleaning products, especially if you has scuffed your arm and hand while moving things or something.

If you get a cold frosty night put the cat stuff outside and that should kill the fleas off and bring them in before they get wet
Sending loads of good wishes that this all resolves itself very quickly  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2014, 21:24:06 PM »
Pav,  I think you have  some of the symptoms of depression., probably stemming from your physical pain and stress. It's good you are going to your Doc because she needs to know about this. The rash may be associated with your stress, or may indeed be flea allergy too, or a reaction to the chemicals or something unrelated entirely. :hug:

Take your time, stay within your limitations and don't try to solve all the issues at once. You will get through this. :care:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2014, 20:12:09 PM »
Pav  :hug: it really sounds as if you are totally exhausted, not surprising with the stuff you have to deal with!  Sorry, rashes are hard enough to diagnose 'in the flesh', even worse by photo  :(

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2014, 20:01:49 PM »
Thanks Gill, hope you are right and in few days I find them all dead. Found few dead on both cats but more live than dead :-: I am sure I did get some on Mr J but more on his fur than skin.
Am afraid cant get Nelson treated he allows me to touch tip of his nose all the way up to his forehead while hissing at me but once or twice I have given him capstar tablets recommended by Sheila for cupcake.

I also seem to have a bad rash on my hand/arm I wonder if its to do with fleas or some kind of allergy, am off to GP in the morning for my back so will ask her.

I had to open a new bed this afternoon for Mr J and Felicity as they just sat there looking sad all their scratcher gone, didn't have the heart not to even I promised myself not to put any new bedding till flea problem sorted and Mr J was delighted ;D
Here is the picture of him enjoying the new scratcher bed all nice and flea free , and my hand and the fleas am catching :doh:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 20:04:27 PM by pappilon »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2014, 18:23:17 PM »
Oh pav everything is going wrong  :hug: :hug: :hug:

If the cats are thick with fleas it will take a while for all to die and on Mr J it will depend on whether you actually got it on him.

I find cats have lifetime memories if they have had a bad start and Misa and Sasa are terrified of all people except me. Lupin is not socialized very well but his curiosity gets the better of him, just plain nosey that one!

Dont panic about hoovering as the acclaim should just cause the fleas to die and the stronghold makes the fleas infertile but if Nelson is carrying fleas he needs treating too

Get your prescription sorted but do not treat Felicity again for another month, if the stuff didnt get onto Mr J there maybe a cause to retreat him................how heavy is he?

If the fleas really are still hopping around your house then get some Indorex and try again, but give a bit of time first.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2014, 16:30:21 PM »
Thanks Sheila.
De flea process not successful I am afraid :( Not sure why? 20 hours later and they both are scratching and been combing them all morning and still loads of fleas alive and dead. Nice neighbour asked this afternoon how is it going and I burst to tears :-[ Never thought I cry over fleas.

Yesterday afternoon once back from work asked other neighbour to come and hold them so I could put the strong hold it went ok with Felicity but omg Mr J went wild . Its happened before when I hold him if any one walk towards us he just fly and goes mad so I told neighbour to leave and some how managed to put the drop but not to near the skin, not good :-: Sprayed the flat with Acclaim left for half an hour and started hovering, half way through the hoover battery died its slim dyson for days which am not well and cant carry much so I thought use the Millie only to find out some how last time when I through the bag away I managed to break the part which holds the bag and bind it :( The battery takes 4 hours to charge so I thought i'll take the scratching furniture out and clean them with the tight trick which Sue suggested . Didn't work couldn't get any fleas only hair lots of it so put them all in recycling box only to come back and found Nelson in the flat  :shocked: Aww no more fleas I thought?
Ok thinking I start washing few things now, but washing machine had different idea . All the water from the machine drained in to the kitchen :'(
That's when I thought I just cant deal with this any more and went to bed so today I have 2 cats which still scratching , loads of stuff in middle of my sitting room and no energy to do any thing.
Just feeling really low, as decided to tell my family that I am not going for my niece wedding in January after all, I feel so guilty about it as I have only one brother left and his kids and I know how much it means to them for me to be there but how can I with 2 cats which are terrified of every one and I don't understand why both were tiny when they came here surely they wont remember if they had bad start , why they behaving like this. If any one as look at them they run for their life. Sorry for the long post and not making any  sense just trying to convince my self I have made the right decision. :tired:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2014, 12:33:50 PM »
That's such a shame for your neighbour, horrible thing to live through  :(

How's the deflea going?  ;D

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2014, 16:05:38 PM »
Hope the stronghold arrived, small enough to go through normal small letterboxes  :shify: :shify:

Hope you are able to do as  :shify:uch as possible Pav without hurting too much  :hug: :hug:

Thats bad news about your neighbour.

Hi Gill, it arrived today. Thank you

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 13:04:12 PM »
Hope the stronghold arrived, small enough to go through normal small letterboxes  :shify: :shify:

Hope you are able to do as much as possible Pav without hurting too much  :hug: :hug:

Thats bad news about your neighbour.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 19:48:40 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 05:09:55 AM »
Pav, do you need some help? I could take a morning off work on Friday t o get your de-flea underway ?

Sounds like you are in some trouble with your back treasure  :hug:

Oh Sheila, that is so kind of you :hug: :hug:. Thank you but I have to work this Friday and Saturday. I have the whole day today so I do as much as I can. Wont be able to do the clothes and my wardrobes so will just close the doors and deal with them later.
My neighbour was here last night to ask if I could help her clearing up, she was burgled on Friday. They smashed the whole patio window and frame to get in :( and I explained to her about the pain and not being able to do much right now so she reckons its a trap nerves  :-: I have been putting deep heat patches but not helping. Going to GP on Monday morning , hoping she can do some thing. :)
Well I am up now so better get started :tired:
Have a good day every one and thank you  :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 23:48:19 PM »
Pav, do you need some help? I could take a morning off work on Friday t o get your de-flea underway ?

Sounds like you are in some trouble with your back treasure  :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 20:51:56 PM »
Posted Pav, hope you will get tomorrow...........dont bother sending any as I hardly ever use  :hug: :hug:
Gill, I cant thank you enough. Thank you so much :hug: :hug:
Hopefully Felicity and Mr Jingles will be flea free by this week end ;D
Thanks sweet heart.x

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 20:46:46 PM »

Pav, if you can stomach it, putting your arm in the leg of an old pair of tights, rubbing it against a piece of fabric to raise some heat and then brushing it over any potentially affected areas will attract fleas, and they'll cling to the nylon.  You can better pin-point where they are then for spraying, dusting etc, but I appreciate it's not a very palatable thought. 

(ask me how I know this works....  ;) )
:wow: I take your word Sue ;) :hug: I just realized my app for hospital tomorrow has been cancelled, of course I had no idea as my phone hasn't been ringing for last 12 months (BT  >:( >:( but lets not go there,  I never know unless I keep checking my messages) so I have tomorrow off and I am going to try the tight trick then I can do a group catch, thank you for the tips :hug: :hug: :) I took some more of the toys out this eve to air . Just so difficult as I am not able to use my left side right now. :-:  Thank you.x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 16:59:05 PM »
Posted Pav, hope you will get tomorrow...........dont bother sending any as I hardly ever use  :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 16:52:23 PM »

Pav, if you can stomach it, putting your arm in the leg of an old pair of tights, rubbing it against a piece of fabric to raise some heat and then brushing it over any potentially affected areas will attract fleas, and they'll cling to the nylon.  You can better pin-point where they are then for spraying, dusting etc, but I appreciate it's not a very palatable thought. 

(ask me how I know this works....  ;) )

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 16:35:05 PM »
Sounds to me that your vet doesnt want to get stronghold!

I will send you two and can get to PO this afternoon  ;D ;D

once treated and if treated regularily with strong hold fleas from another cat that jumped onto your would just die  ;D ;D

Same with any that escaped in your house.

Yes you would have to get rid of your clothes lol......................I didnt get rid of anything and the attack was really bad but indorex and getting shot of them from Kocka got rid of them completely and had been trying for ages with useless shop
Off to find them and pack  ;D ;D
Aww Gill, thank you so much. I will send them back to you once I get the vet uk order. Thank you
Tanks Dawn, Sue. It seems I need to do a proper spring/winter clean. Mean while I use the technique , comb, catch and drawn .

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 14:03:45 PM »

We had a bad flea plague one very hot summer back in the 80's and we didnt get rid of any clothing or household stuff either - just washed what we could, aired what we couldnt and sprayed everything else!  :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 13:48:35 PM »
we had a bad outbreak in the summer pav, the first in 10 years and no didn't get rid of anything washed a lot of stuff but that is all

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 13:43:08 PM »
Sounds to me that your vet doesnt want to get stronghold!

I will send you two and can get to PO this afternoon  ;D ;D

once treated and if treated regularily with strong hold fleas from another cat that jumped onto your would just die  ;D ;D

Same with any that escaped in your house.

Yes you would have to get rid of your clothes lol......................I didnt get rid of anything and the attack was really bad but indorex and getting shot of them from Kocka got rid of them completely and had been trying for ages with useless shop bought stuff.

Off to find them and pack  ;D ;D

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 13:32:55 PM »
Oh Gill, yes i remember sprays, the cats used to hate :( Poor Kocka :hug:
You are right may be i shouldn't get rid of scratching beds, after all Felicity has been sleeping in my wardrobe , then i have to get rid of all my clothes too :rofl:

My vet couldn't get the stronghold and the supplier don't know when in stock next.Now i asked for a prescription to order from vet uk, this is going to take for ever :tired:

The problem is they are too many cats out side and Mr J get too close to Nelson so i wonder what happens once treated , with new ones i mean?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 14:28:50 PM »
Dont get rid of their toys Pav, such a waste and really not necessary.

I also prefer Indorex and could have sent you some Stronghold but the vets will arrive before mine.............sorry my brain also dead!

I had a really bad flea infestation when I got Kocka, she was covered but didnt know and tried everything before seeing the vet.................she was so bad that he sprayed her and what a poor sorry state she looked and he gaev me flea stuff to give her a month on and also Indorex for the house.

Never saw another flea,

I thing spraying is a last resort and not really needed now and they hate it so makes vet visits worse. Kocka hated vets.  Remember her stinking of the spray, luckily in summer, and fur all gounged up and her sitting on my shoulder while I talked to a neighbour.............back in daqys when my neighbours were nice.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 10:13:49 AM »
Thank you Sue, Rosella. :hug: :hug: I called the vet nurse this morning and she is going to place an order for stronghold , should be there by tomorrow for me to collect she said not to take her in and just keep an eye on it and if it doesn't get better in few days then make appointment.

Rosella, I got one of those collars when she was spayed but she just wouldn't have it, nightmare so instead I stayed up and watched her for 3 days to make sure not to pull the stiches.  :-[ Yes why didn't I think of putting them in sitting room and do the upstairs and landing, my brain is dead , am so tired and this new pain going all the way to my back , lower neck has been keeping me awake . Thanks for the idea :hug:

Yes I use Milbemax as their worming tab but they are not due for another month.
Decided to get rid of all the scratching furniture as it would be very hard to hoover them thorough once sprayed , just got the tunnel though from purrs shop :shy:

Thank you so much every one.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 08:59:20 AM »
Don't you have one room you can lock them in for a few hours Pav?  That must be difficult  :hug:

I've not noticed much difference over the years between Acclaim and Indorex but also gave up Frontline for Stronghold a couple of years ago and use Milbemax to top up the worming treatment that Stronghold doesn't supply.  Just checked and I'm sorry I don't have any stronghold to pop in the post to you Pav  :(  I recall using some on the gingers whilst their slaves were away over the summer and my mum's cat Aubergine which cleared me out.

I also think it likely that the sore on Felicity's chin could be related to her trying to scratch fleas.  Do you have one of those doughnut collars to try and stop her doing it?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 07:00:02 AM »

Ouch, Pav.  That looks sore, but as Sheila has already said, I think it will be okay until tomorrow.

We couldnt get Indorex either back in October when we had a small bout of scratching, so we had to get Acclaim.   Thankfully it worked for us, but it can be the very devil sometimes to get the right thing for the right flea.   :hug: 

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 05:48:05 AM »
Thank you Sheila :hug: She doesn't have any temperature and eating and playing fine.

I used Acclaim this time as the vet didn't have Indorex. He only had Advocat and front line, and since my cats Phoebe and Boy many years ago showed a bad reaction to Advocat I went for Frontline :( I am going to call this morning and see if they can order stronghold for me if not I will go with Effipro.

I really don't want to go to the vets as it stress her so much so I wait and see till tomorrow, I washed the sore with warm water last night is there any thing I should put on it? Thank you so much Sheila, I am  about to order Indorex from vet uk now and hopefully have it by week end that's when I can treat the flat as I have to make sure they both stay out for half a day :tired:
I have been using the comb every day to try and catch as many fleas as i can .

Thank you Gill :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 22:44:55 PM »
Good advice from Sheila  :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 22:08:44 PM »
aww bless Pav, that looks sore but unless she's running a temperature or acting lethargic it's not an emergency. Your flea situation however needs attention as this is likely to be the cause of Miss Felicitys self harm?

What flea spray have you used? I prefer Indorex as it treats the house for a whole year, but you need to follow the instructions so you break the life cycle of the fleas.

My vet confirmed last month what we have all suspected for a while, that Front line isn't effective against fleas this year. He now uses Effipro at his practise which you can buy online at Animed Direct without prescription, and it works. They sell Indorex too, best to grab a couple of cans so you can do the flat twice over a week or so.

As for spraying their beds etc yes, of course you can, in fact that is where the flea larvae will be living so be extra thorough in those areas. Make sure to follow the instructions. Their toys can be washed or just give them a night out in the frost that should do it.

I'm sure this is all it is, Pav, if you really want to see the vet then of course do so but those fleas need to be gone or the firkids will continue to scratch themselves like this.

Wish you luck, it's not a pleasant task and you've been unlucky with the FrontLine   :hug: :hug:

Link to CatChat