Author Topic: Fastest rehome of EVAH?  (Read 6582 times)

Offline caffiend

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Molly, Bugsy, Colin, Christine; Bridge kits - Ollie, Lucy, Snowy, Rug, Jenny
Re: Fastest rehome of EVAH?
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2014, 10:42:57 AM »
Introductions commenced - so far they're all mostly ignoring each other, although there has been some hard staring and hissing - from both sides. Will still keep them different sides of closed doors overnight and when I'm out. Distraction with treats seems to be working and the house is big enough for all 4 to be well out of sight of each other if they 'vant to be alone'.

So far they've neither of them shown any interest in the cat flap, although Colin is slightly getting cabin fever, he's busy destroying a catnip toy as I type this. He's not wanting to play with me right now: tried a gentle brush round his ears and chest a few minutes ago to which he took grave exception - no tangles found, so left it at that, will build up gradually, we've got some time before major moult sets in. Off to see if I'm forgiven ;P

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2014, 16:10:34 PM »

They are lovely.  ;D ;D Hope you get rid of unwanted visitors

Offline caffiend

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Molly, Bugsy, Colin, Christine; Bridge kits - Ollie, Lucy, Snowy, Rug, Jenny
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2014, 19:22:29 PM »
Oooops! While switching cats around to different sides of doors there was an escape. I'd shut Colin & Christine into the 'other half' of downstairs so that the other two could have a little sniff around C&C's quarantine area and still be able to run back upstairs. Opened the door to go to the kitchen and C&C nipped through - inadvertent introductions, way too soon, eek! There was a bit of cussing, extracted Bugs first, then Molly, and shut C&C in their room again, and left the other two to calm down. No fisticuffs, which was good. Will have to watch the little Houdini hoolicats.

Offline caffiend

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2014, 13:24:56 PM »
Yeah, Christine was as good as gold about being treated, Colin is in a right strop with me now (as are Bugs and Molly, woke 'em both up for their dose). Most of the house is hard floors and it's only been a couple days so not anticipating a major infestation ;P

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2014, 12:41:17 PM »
Thank you for a lovely update! Shame about the unwanted passengers but fleas are an occupational hazard with rescues  :doh: I hope they ship out sharpish!

Offline caffiend

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2014, 10:42:39 AM »
I think the little darlings* brought visitors. To the chemist, for flea stuffs, discovered this morning that I only have two doses left, was sure I had another pack. Otherwise - Colin and Christine are settling well, although still a little bit jumpy. Still reluctant to 'come 'ere' and not keen on being picked up yet, really enjoying ear scritches and tummy rubs if I go to them . Food disappears without them even stopping to inhale (they went wild when I broke out the wet food this morning - kept them on dry for a couple of days in case of tummy upsets)and they've been perfect with litter trays. Christine does tend to pile the granules as high as possible, so have to empty quickly so litter can be redistributed - will start topping up with crystals tomorrow and see how it goes.

I shut Bugs and Molly in their room for a few hours yesterday and shut the other two upstairs doors, so C&C could poke around a bit more of the house. Whereupon they promptly found out where the hot pipes run under the floor behind the sofa and had a nap. So that worked well then. Hopefully they'll explore a bit more today when I do the same later. Bugs and Molly still fine/unphased by the "other cat" noises and smells so far. Unfortunately, both are allergic to fleas and due their treatment as well and Bugs has managed to strip HOW MUCH hair off his legs in the last couple of days. Sure it's allergy not stress as he's not sulking or aggressive. Should have thought to treat C&C sooner, was thinking they'd be OK it being winter and all, forgetting they've been shut inside for ages and have probably picked them up from carpets, etc in previous home. Oh well.

Given how desperate the previous owner was to keep them together they don't seem to be that closely bonded - no real interaction although obviously fine sharing the same space. Overall, think they're doing REALLY well given that they only got here Weds lunchtime   ;D

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 17:58:24 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D  Wow - lovely pics!!  They both seem to be settling well.

Am glad Bugsy and Molly snoozed peacefully through the night too, and take that as a really good sign.   :)

As to GOT - yes, I have to admit the gratuitous sex scenes are not to my taste either, and are somewhat unnecessary.  I tried just to watch the tv series as a slightly different story altogether and not to mutter too much over the diversions from the book.  Love the actor who plays Tyrion - he's perfect.   Very dry delivery - just the way I imagined him to be in the book.   :)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 11:45:07 AM »
They are so sweet  :Luv:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline caffiend

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 11:04:04 AM »
Here's your photo fix then kitty fiends: Christine is tricksy and hard to get a good photo. She's still quite nervous and grooming a lot, will have to watch her on that. She's happy to have a fuss and even let me pick her up for a cuddle earlier which she apparently enjoyed (Colin wriggled). Finally managed to get a shot of her anyway and a decent one of Colin and an indecent one of Colin - letting me tickle his tum after less than 24 hours, what a tart. Yes, that's my lap in the grey tracks at one edge, he's still sitting by me now purring sleepily.

Offline caffiend

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 08:52:07 AM »
Not a peep out of Colin and Christine overnight and Bugsy and Molly snoozed peacefully on my bed as usual. Colin and Bugs have both had a little shout this morning - not at each other: Colin was yelling for his brekkie and Bugs was pawing and squeaking at the door about 10 minutes later.

Having my own breakfast then will go and sit in with C&C :)

OT GOT bit  :evillaugh: TV series are never the same as the books. Genuinely not a prude, finding myself annoyed by the gratuitous sex scenes (i.e. that AREN'T in the books - so the point of that was?). Seeing all the characters on screen makes some of them seem very different as you don't ever get their point of view in the books. I quite like that.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 07:24:17 AM »

I've read all of the books and chomping at the bit for the next one.  Wasnt sure whetehr I liked the TV series as it differs quite a bit from the books, but I do think the casting was masterful, and I just love The Hound's character - Rory was perfect as him, and he sparked off well with the actress who plays Aria.

:evillaugh:  Our doors have dropped slightly on their hinges, leaving gaps at one end or t'other, and that allowed a little bit of footsie to take place beneath them.  I think that was when we began to make real progress.  How has the first night gone?   :shify:

Offline caffiend

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 19:25:00 PM »
All quiet on the Western Front. There's a big gap under the door - old house, etc - so when they start playing footsie through that I'll consider limited introductions if there's no yowling or will obtain a draft excluder if there is. It's only been a few hours, see how it goes the next few days - Christine dived under the furniture when she heard Molly squeaking for her tea t'other side of the door - if only she knew what a little wuss Molly is lol.

Re: The Hound - I keep expecting him to say 'Yarp' ... I've read all the books (so far) so am ahead of the series. Casting (so far as I've seen) is quite good IMO. I think the author is finding the books hard to finish off because he keeps killing his main characters.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 17:30:48 PM »

It's great that Bugs is hanging round the door - it means curiousity is getting the better of him.  That's what Tinks did when we brought Moray home (after an initial hissy fit when he first clocked eyes on the young usurper, that is and threatened to pack his bags and move out  :evillaugh:)

Oh Christine - I'd better warn ya gal, Game of Thrones is a bit bloodthirsty - you might have to shut your eyes tight when them bits come on.  But look out for Rory McCann who plays The Hound - he's a bit special.   :Luv:

Offline caffiend

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 17:22:25 PM »
They're doing everso well, very impressed. They've just had their nerves a bit shaken bless them - newspaper through the door really gave Christine a jump earlier and they're both 'startling' at neighbours-coming-home sounds outside. I know they've been shut in and home alone with only twice-daily short visits for food and fuss for probably a couple of weeks at least while former owner was being cared for in relatives' homes. This is a quiet house, the walls are thick and it's winter so neighbour noise will be at a minimum - both sides have young children, C&C will have a chance to get used to it in small doses before the garden activity starts again.

Bugs has been mostly snoozing on the landing (hot water pipes under the floor) upstairs. He came downstairs when I got another cup of tea, happily scooted back upstairs again when I shooed him away from the door. Christine is sat by my feet. Hope she doesn't mind Game of Thrones, I'm still catching up and about to get one episode in before I go and cook me tea :D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 16:59:01 PM »

My cousin recentluy acquired a little Shitzhuh (sp?) who had previously lived with an elderly lady who had a terminal illness and was taken into hospice care.

The dog was a shy, rather retiring 4 year old, who didnt really recognise the concept of "play".  Until my cousin brought her to meet my sister's rumbustuous terrier.  :evillaugh:  At first you could see she was deeply shocked.  It took no more than two visits before the pair of them were haring round the garden together playing with tug toys and generally having a rare old time. 

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 16:33:09 PM »
if they've been owned all their lives by one elderly owner, they probably won't have any serious behavioural problems, as they will have led, presumably, quite a quiet life

here's hoping  they turn out to be a couple of pussycats :angel: :angel:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 16:23:19 PM »
Glad to hear that the 2 Cs have arrived and are doing well, under the circumstances ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 15:59:16 PM »
That sounds very encouraging.  How's Bugs investigations going?   ;)

Offline caffiend

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 15:55:33 PM »
Christine walked across my lap earlier - think she might have sat if it hadn't still been the wrong lap. She's now sitting on top of the mantelpiece, apparently attempting to sleep whilst sitting up. Colin is sleeping too.

Christine has used the litter tray (good girl), don't know if Colin has. They're probably both exhausted from moving stress - poor little things left home yesterday and spent last night with the former owner's sister before owner's daughter picked them up and brought them here today. No wonder they're nervous: such nice cats though, happily accepting gentle fusses already.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 14:10:33 PM »
 ;D ;D :hug:  It's all very exciting (for us anyway - I daresay Colin and Christine will just be feeling very worried and very unsure of themselves right now.)

Offline caffiend

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 14:08:48 PM »
Sorry 'bout the double post - they're here :D

They've both had a little snack, a long drink, have deigned to have their ears tickled and - at the moment anyway - are more interested in casing the joint than hiding. Both still have big wide any-second-now-I'm-gonna-be-a-scaredy-cat eyes, so pictures later when they've settled. Molly is oblivious, Bugs is suspicious that something is going on, don't think he's worked out what it is yet.

Colin is supposedly the shy one but has been more friendly so far. I think Christine is going to be a climber. Leaving them to it for a bit while I eat my lunch, then will go and sit in with them for a bit.

Offline caffiend

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 11:45:18 AM »
Best laid plans and all that, still haven't made the catnip socks. Need to clean trays for my two then will hopefully have time to make the toys.

Otherwise, all ready, the room is much larger than a rescue pen so they'll be everso comfy. Water, litter trays and feeding station are all present and correct and as far away from each other as the space and existing furniture allows. Plan of campaign: extract Colin and Christine from basket and drop in litter tray so they know where those are. Put down a lunchtime snack, then leave 'em to settle a bit while I give Louisa and family a cuppa tea and biscuits.

Now to go and shut Molly and Bugs in their room and shut the cat flap, as Colin and Christine will have had a couple of hours drive, so what actually happens might well be 'take basket to bathroom, extract cat(s) from basket straight into bath and put the shower on ...' I knew there was a good reason I have a hankering for a Turkish Van cat.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 07:40:57 AM »
 :shify:   oooo - today's the day!   :wow: :wow:  Betcha can't wait.   :)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 22:04:07 PM »
I'm very pleased for you and this lovely, lucky pair. Sometimes it's destined to be and this rehoming certainly seems to fit that label  :briggin:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 20:56:20 PM »
Awww, they are lovely!  :Luv2: You are going to have such fun getting to know them.

My Alfie also has some back pigment on his palate, although it is still more than 50% pink :) It's just over 4 years since I lost my ginger boy. Like you, I'm not ready to consider another one yet (which is just as well cos, with 2 already, I'm not allowed another one at the moment!).

Offline caffiend

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 16:11:46 PM »
Bridge pussies Ollie and Lucy were tux cats (Ollie semi long-haired, Lucy short-haired) and Snowy (short hair) was the blackest of black cats - she even had black pigmentation inside her little mouth. They've been gone long enough that memories are fond, not just sad. I couldn't have another ginger cat just yet.

These two will hopefully be arriving tomorrow afternoon. In their quarantine room, I've put the giganamous cat scratcher that my current two have turned their noses up at and they will have trays and food and other toys of course. Will buy some Catsan tomorrow morning as that's what they're used to - then gradually wean them onto the crystals that my current two have. Will make up a couple of catnip balls tonight too and see if they like (I have some old - clean! - socks kicking about).

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 12:12:10 PM »
Congratulations on your new arrivals. They look stunning, I do love black cats and Tuxedos.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 16:36:46 PM »
They look lovely  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:  Hope they settle in well  :)

Offline caffiend

• Adult Cat
Fastest rehome of EVAH?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 15:40:59 PM »
Unfortunately my car is broken and was just waiting to get it back before I went poking round the local rescues properly. Have been keeping an eye, and looking at the 'Homes Needed' on catchat, and saw Colin & Christine - http://www.catchat.org/felineforum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2029&p=15416#p15416.

Looked like a good match, so dropped a PM. Just about 2.5 hours after the original post, "home found" - Louisa is kindly dropping them off here as I won't have my car back for another week or more. She already has 3 cats of her own or would take them in herself.

Now need to finish tidying the front room so I can put cat stuff in there and keep the new two "quarantined" during settling in/introduction process. I've had a multiple cat household for over 20 years, ironically never had two together so will be interesting owing a bonded pair - they're not related, they've been together since being tiny kittens though.

More pictures on Wednesday when they arrive. I R esscited :D

Link to CatChat