Author Topic: time to say goodbye to my old friend??  (Read 25488 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: time to say goodbye to my old friend??
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2014, 21:26:59 PM »
Guilt is one of the steps of grief and so very hard when it kicks in.

RIP Joey, play hard on the bridge you have lefy a purr in your meowmus heart

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Tuftyclub

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: No wun, we iz masters!
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2014, 20:16:25 PM »
So very sad, this time of mourning.   :hug: :hug:

I hope you know Joey loves you and will be waiting for you when you join him. The Bridge is there for us all and those gone before will wait with gentle purrs and headbutts. Until then Joey is safe, warm, loved, free from pain, back with his pal Hobbs forever.  :Luv:

Be kind to yourselves in these coming days. The weight of mourning will pass and be replaced by the perfect knowledge of a soul helped on its way to everlasting peace.  I shall shed a tear for his passing with you all tonight :hug: :hug:
Pursley, Big Sam, Polly, Theo, Sly da Sly, Tuffers, Georgie, Agent K.

Offline joeys

• Kitten
  • Slave to: joey, bambi, cheif, hobble (RIP) pixie-boots(RIP)
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2014, 20:15:09 PM »
My boy is at rest now, my heart is broken, I cant even cry.  My oldest friend and daughters came with us, saying goodbye was, I have no words for it, just awful.  My friend stayed with him til the very end.  The guilt of course has kicked in, even though it was getting cruel to keep him alive for me.  Im sorry im not making a lot of sense.  I know u all know this feeling.  I could scream and shout and swear and throw things.  But I must remind myself that the one important soul in all of this sadness was him, and he is at peace now.  God Bless you all for your comfort.

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2014, 18:14:11 PM »
Joeys, my heart hurts for you. I'm so sorry about how this is all happening.
 :care: :care: :care: :care: :care: :care: :care:
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2014, 17:59:33 PM »
I hope Joey is back home resting in peace  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Just to say this thread can be moved to Rainbow Bridge if you would like in due course, just let me know  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2014, 17:53:38 PM »
 :hug:  :hug:

Offline joeys

• Kitten
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2014, 14:59:26 PM »
thanks dawn, reets and jiji. literally a pain in my chest now as time draws closer.  my fabulous cat will soon be resting.  :(

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2014, 13:18:56 PM »
don't feel bad about not being there, I never have and I don't think it means you love them less some people can and some people can't its nothing to be sorry for  :hug:

Offline Reets

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bruno
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2014, 13:04:45 PM »
I'm so sorry.   Bless you for doing the right thing for Joey despite your pain. 

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2014, 10:31:03 AM »
Thinking of you and Joey  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline joeys

• Kitten
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2014, 08:28:34 AM »
thank you, I know you are all with Joey and I today. I am struggling for words to be honest. xxxx

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2014, 20:32:29 PM »
Don't be frightened Joeys. The reason he stayed so long is because the love of your family is very hard to leave. They linger far past their calling time because the bond is strong. There is a beautiful place for him in whatever place he chooses. In your heart, in your children's hearts and at the bridge. He will be safe. Have no doubts - your choice made fromlove is the right one and it is the right time and he willingly waited till you were ready because he returned your love  :hug:
Tread lightly Joey x Those wings are waiting x
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2014, 19:32:51 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline joeys

• Kitten
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2014, 19:26:32 PM »
Slugsta, Gill, Carol and Souffle, I greatly appreicatte your words of  comfort and advise, and sharing your experiences with me.  Joey is with my daughters right now, cuddling, and of course tonight I shall spend most of the night in quietness with him.  He cried two very awful meows today, I wasn't in the room but heard him,  something obviously hurt badly.  I have let him go on too long, I did promise myself that I wouldn't get this far with him, but he has changed so quickly, even the last 24hours.  I have decided that I cannot bear to be in the room when he passes  (even typing that is difficult).  I have thought so much on it today,  I feel terrified of seeing them inject him,  so I don't believe I can be there.  I can only say how brave and loyal u all are to have stayed with your beloved pets to the very last.  I will make sure he is content before I leave the room, then will wait in the car til my boys body is ready to come back home with us.  My eldest girls are coming with me.  My stomach is in knots, could scream with sadness and I know Joey knows too, and he is more at peace than me for sure.  Please God, I beg so much, that there is a beautiful place on the bridge for him.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2014, 16:59:58 PM »
Our thoughts, and tears, are with you  :hug: This is the last loving thing you can do for your darling boy, to release him from his pain and let his spirit fly free  :hug:

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2014, 13:02:42 PM »
My heart goes out to you and Joey is so like Misa  :hug: :hug:

My vet lets me have the cats on my knee as cant stand but all 3 of mine passed very peacefully and it is almost instant.

All of them came back home with me as my as I want my other cats to know what has happened and two went back to the vet next day for individual cremation and now so wish I had done this for Kocka. I have Napoleons and his brother Duchas little boxes here which I find comforting but some may not and had a special inscription put on each.

I think if you allow your 9yr old to come with you, you need to explain very gently what will happen and how Joey will fly to the Bridge to live on for ever and always be watching over her. I am not religeous but the Bridge is so real to me and a rainbow now has a special meaning as we all hope that soon after we will get a message that they have arrived.  Ducha took a long time to learn how to do rainbows but now he does them brilliantly.

Thinking of you all  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2014, 12:10:07 PM »
I' m so sorry that Joey's time has come and fully understand that you hope he passes peacefully at home.  :hug:  If that  doesn't happen then try not to worry too much about the actual process tomorrow.  There are different ways of administering the final injection and your vet will chose whichever one they feel is most appropriate in the circumstances. At my vets they use a room separate to the one that is being used as the general surgery and have always allowed me as much (or as little) time as I want alone in there my fur-baby before the procedure, and after.  I've never actually held a cat in my arms but I've always been stroking them and had contact when the injection was given.  It really is instant.  The light just goes out of their eyes as if someone had pressed a switch and they relax.  Heartbreaking though it is I've always felt better coming out of the surgery than I did going in, having actually seen my friend released.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2014, 11:34:07 AM »
I am sorry that you lost Hobbs - to share a life so long and to share that love makes parting so hard.
I am glad you are listening to Joey's whisper now though. He sounds ready for his next journey. I have seen that look a few times and it is something you cannot mistake and you just know in your heart that your little one is asking. You have to know and it is the greatest gift you can give without doubt.
I stay with my pets and I feel they like me to walk a little way along the path to the bridge with them. It is an honour I willingly take. The vet shaved the leg a little to see the vein then they inject the anaesthetic. I felt their weigh fall on to me and their body relax as their spirit flew free. Then they leave a little bit of them in your heart and climb the rainbow bridge to wait where time has no meaning for your to be reunited - well that's what I believe anyway.
Everyone is different and do whatever way feels easiest for you.
A choice made from love is always the right one remember. I hope his path is gentle as it is surely paved with love xx
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline joeys

• Kitten
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2014, 11:01:35 AM »
Thank you Kay for telling me how lovely Trigger passed on.  I do want this process to be as quick as possible, the thought of him having an injection and upsetting him is horrible, just want him to fade off to sleep without any interference, but of course, I know the vets have to do it this way.  I will take a blanket with me, thank u for telling me that as I didn't know.  I am praying that my old buddy will leave us today in his sleep, comfy behind the sofa,  I hope that doesn't sound mean, but it would be a better way to go.  He hasn't done a wee or a poo in a few days, so its very obvious his body is shutting down.  My kids are upset, my 9 year old is a huge cat lover, and I have offered for her to come to the vets tomorrow,  then I regretted it, not knowing if she will cope!  To be honest, the mix of emotions is awful. xx

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2014, 10:45:33 AM »
I am so sorry - what a gorgeous boy he is

Trigger had a catheter put in his front paw, through which the fatal injection was administered - although this makes the process more drawn out, it had the advantage of allowing him a couple of minutes to recover from the trauma of having it inserted - he got down from his bed a bit agitated, but I was able to soothe him, and feed him a little bit of the liver he loved - I then lifted him back and the vet gave him the final injection within seconds, and he went immediately, without a sound

I know some people have their cats sedated first, if they are likely to put up a fight, but  it doesn't sound as if Joey, bless him, is capable of that

I'm sure they'll let you hold him, or cushion him at least - you will need a towel or blanket though as they often wee as they pass

it's a horrible horrible business, but the physical part is the least of it, so please don't worry about that

my thoughts, and tears, are with you
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline joeys

• Kitten
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2014, 10:27:17 AM »
Joey.

Offline joeys

• Kitten
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2014, 10:22:00 AM »
thankyou Pandora, sheilarose, gill and slugsta, and everyone else who has been so kind.  Sweet Beaus story is almost identical, and exactly whats running through my mind, the 'can we wait another little while' feeling.  But I cant, I am saying goodbye to my beautiful boy tomorrow at 4.45.  I didn't stay with Hobbs when they put him to sleep, so I am a little scared that poor Joey might get upset.  I'm sure he wont as he is generally very good at the vets. Do they just fade to sleep?  I want to be able to hold him while he nods off, not for him to be laid on cold vet table, will they allow me too?  My heart is racing now as its very real.  Joey is resting behind the sofa now, just deep deep sleeping all the time,  of course food and water is almost non existant.  I spoke with him lots last night, he purred and purred and gave his kisses as he always done.  I cant thank you all enough, I really really mean that, to know that there are people like you all out there, who are sending us love, and who know exactly how this feels. I am not alone. Thank you. xxxx

Offline pandorawarlord

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: buttonchops, jeronimo, symphony, tenini, montymunchkin
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2014, 23:56:00 PM »
this is very sad  :hug: :hug:

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2014, 23:53:13 PM »
So sorry he is going down   :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

There is never a good time of the year but this is possibly the worst , thi nking of you both  :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2014, 21:53:31 PM »
I'm very sorry to read this.  :( Poor Joey.  :hug:

Here is Beau's story  :(
I promised I would never let my beloved cat suffer. He had pills, medication, injections, more pills. We supported him as best we could but still he went downhill. 
I think, I hope, I pray that I caught Beau just in time, just before his pain became greater than his joy. I could have held on, for one more week, for Christmas, for Easter, or for his birthday, but it would have been for me, not him.
It still hurts like hell, I miss him and long for him to be back with me but I know in my heart it was time, it was his time. 
He went peacefully at the vet. No pain, just sleep, endless sleep. The kindest act for him and yet, for me, the most cruel. The price we pay for all the love and joy they bring. The least we can do.

May the Gods guide you wisely. I wish you courage and strength in the days to come.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2014, 19:50:40 PM »
I am so sorry that your old friendis so far down his road  :hug:

Offline joeys

• Kitten
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2014, 19:21:46 PM »
Hello my lovely friends.  Its been a month since I was on here, still getting used to our Hobbs not being here,  often feel like a can hear his meow from time to time.  Bless him.  I had my oldest pal come to visit at the weekend, she hadn't seen Joey in quite a few months.  He is now totally deaf, so he didn't hear her come in, but he somehow sensed her and immediately went to say hello.  She struggled not to cry at his poorly condition.  I hate to say Joey is struggling with food now,  even though he meows and wants food, he just doesn't seem bothered.  His face seems puffy, we believe this to be the tumours enlarging from behind the eye.  And his eye, well, its not good at all.  He has become so vocal,  like he is constantly trying to tell us something,  and very rarely will leave his comfortable spot behind the sofa.  Yes, I know, we are all thinking the same aren't we.  I wanted him to stay for Christmas,  to tuck into tender turkey with us, but it would take a miracle now.  Just spending the last few days (hoping a week or so) with him, and enjoying his company.  Hobbs will be waiting for his old pal Joey. xxx

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2014, 21:57:49 PM »
I'm so sorry for your loss  :hug:  RIP Hobbs xxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2014, 14:27:24 PM »
What terrible timing! You are in our thoughts  :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2014, 12:27:54 PM »

Sometimes, we have to handle a lot of heartache in a short space of time.  Thinking of you, and sending you my every good wish that you have the strength needed to get through all of this, and one day look back with the happiest of memories, rather than the sad ones.   :hug: 

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2014, 12:10:18 PM »
So sad that Joey is going downhill and you are in my thoughts at such a difficult time  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline joeys

• Kitten
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2014, 12:05:28 PM »
Thank you all for your comforting words, each and everyone of them means a lot .  It is very odd not to see old Hobs on our window, every so often I see something white and automatically I think 'oh there he is for his food'. But sadly then I remember he is gone.  Also about beautiful Joey, he is losing his meow now, i know the time is coming soon.  He still eats/drinks/purrs, but even in the last week or so, he has become slow, not jumping up, and then the meowing has become so hoarse it can barely be heard.  I wont be accepting anymore steroids for him as its unfair.  Love to you all. xxx

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2014, 11:09:06 AM »
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Best wishes at this tough time.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 10:02:51 AM »
So sorry for your loss  :hug:

God Bless Hobbles xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2014, 12:54:43 PM »
You must be heartbroken  :hug: what a time you are having at the moment  :hug:

At least you were there for Hobbles and I am sure your mum was there to be reunited with him.

Ramble as little or as much as you like, that is what the site is for.

RIP Hobbles  :'(
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline joeys

• Kitten
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2014, 14:40:16 PM »
Thank you everyone.  Knowing that there is somewhere like this with like minded people, is such a comfort.  I am very heavy hearted, sad and wishing I could wave a magic wand to go back in time. Words fail me to be honest. xxx  xxx

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
time to say goodbye to my old friend??
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 22:52:21 PM »
It is sooo painful and sooo hard    But I couldn't live with the fact that they suffered more at the end cause of my decision to hang on. I rest easy knowing my darling furkids that have passed did so without knowing the painful terminal illness very end. It's with all the fearce  love that we have for them that can help them avoid that awful end and have a peaceful passing.
My love and thoughts are sooo with you x

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 22:30:09 PM »
Just so sad for you. Sending healing vibes for you and the children, and hoping Joey can stay well a while longer to help you through poor Hobs passing.  :hug: :hug:

RIP old man, bravely lived, loved by all. Goodnight and gods speed to the Bridge. Friends await you, my dearest boy Beau who passed just last week X

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 20:58:33 PM »
So sorry for your loss Joeys  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

RIP Hobbles  :(
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 19:50:59 PM »
Just so shocked to read this so can understand how bad it is for you.

What a terrible shock and am thinking of you on this sad night  :hug: :hug: :hug:

As sue says we all understand and waffle away to us as much as you want cos only cat people understand often

Link to CatChat