Author Topic: My cats are scabby!  (Read 1547 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: My cats are scabby!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 19:42:09 PM »
Now then, when I got my Bonnie from RSPCA nearly 6 years ago she was recovering from scabs on her back.  Had been that bad that RSPCA took her off her owner as she had not taken her to vet and let her get in a right state.  Even had to have her tail removed.

I had to keep taking Bonnie back for injections every 2, 3, 4 months for about 2 years until it all cleared up.

She is an indoor cat so I only gave her Frontline now and again to make sure she was ok.

Early this year the scab appeared again, always in the same place.  Bonnie had an injection and it didn't help, so I took her back. The vet said Frontline wasn't strong enough for allergies really and told me to use Advocate.

I gave this to Bonnie and the scab went and has not come back since then. Took about 5 days for it to go.

I now give Bonnie Advocate every few months and hopefully it will be ok for her.

Good luck.

Mary

Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 11:17:37 AM »
They have a stainless steel water bowl and china plates. They do have a plastic water fountain but only one of them uses it. It's really puzzling as they both seem to have the same problem. I'm going on holiday next week and my parents are looking after them but think I might have to take Xander to the vets before then as don't want them to have to deal with taking him as he's really hates going to the vets.

I've changed back to their old food and also cleaning their bowls everyday as haven't been cleaning biscuit bowls everyday. I've given the water fountain a good clean just in case of bacteria. So hopefully that will help.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 07:40:07 AM »
It may be feline acne. The chin is very prone to infections and I had some issues with one cat some years ago. I switched to stainless steel feeding bowls as someone suggested that practice dishes harbour germs and we've been clear since then.

As for the food issues I'd be very surprised if both cats have the same sensitivities. I'd be asking the vet to perform some skin swabs.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 22:30:35 PM »
They are three years old. 

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 20:42:55 PM »
How old are they? 
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
My cats are scabby!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 10:11:07 AM »
This summer both of my cats have had scabs and been scratching themselves. I first thought it might be fleas but couldn't find any sign. They seem to have the scabs  for a couple of weeks and then they clear up for a few weeks, then they get them again. So I just start thinking they are ok and they get them again. They have both been to the vets for their boosters in the last couple of weeks and the vet said they don't have fleas. They could be allergic to food or something in their environment. They are indoor so don't come into contact with much pollen etc although I do have quite a few house plants. I use all eco friendly cleaner that are very mild and I keep those to a minimum. So I think food is probably the problem, I've been trying them with different brands as I don't want them to be stuck eating one type of food. I've put them back onto only applaws from yesterday. Has anyone had this problem and how did they solve it? The scabs haven't been too bad before but Xander has over the last week developed a big area under his neck/chin that is starting to worry me. Thanks.   
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 10:12:10 AM by Mymblesdaughter »

Link to CatChat