Author Topic: Worried...  (Read 44055 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Worried...
« Reply #166 on: November 28, 2014, 22:55:59 PM »
Best you can do I think is put puppy pads under and round tray edge.

Lupin also gets too close to edge and Misa, not deliberate just how they use the tray

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
« Reply #165 on: November 28, 2014, 17:59:30 PM »
Liz - May get the needles rather than go to the vets every fortnight which is 30 mins walk away. Any particular reason they only want to give me 2 weeks supply when they are happy to give 4 weeks of insulin?

I think even though I can get a sharps box from GP's that i'll just fill this one up and then use something else.

Liz sounds like she has a good vet :)

Now, question. Minty is peeing outside her box. Sometimes she deliberately does, sometimes she gets in the tray but her bum is too near the back and sometimes she puts her front two legs just about in and then just pees.

It's on the wooden floor landing at the top of the stairs. I keep washing it and hot air blow drying it but I do worry that this will cause other issues.

Anything I can do? Tried difffering litters but to no avail.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #164 on: November 22, 2014, 13:25:19 PM »
They sound fantastic Liz! From the stories I hear, so many of them seem to be interested in only the money, yours sound completely different.

I have to say that we have 2 different vets and both lots seem very good (which is why I can't make up my mind to switch either cat to the other vet!).

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #163 on: November 22, 2014, 11:44:15 AM »
They are all in one needles due to the delicate nature of the suspension, on behlaf of the late Millie we donated 2 boxes of needles and 2 new bottles of insulin to a lovely old ladies cat as she was worried about the cost and our vets kindly agreed to add our discount for any of the diabetic requirements for a further 12 months - so do love our vets
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline pandorawarlord

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: buttonchops, jeronimo, symphony, tenini, montymunchkin
« Reply #162 on: November 22, 2014, 01:03:51 AM »
Miroslav you can get a sharps box from you local doctors for free

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #161 on: November 22, 2014, 00:53:32 AM »
Ok I have  never seen those but cat was not diabetic...............very expensive needles and syringe

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #160 on: November 22, 2014, 00:05:51 AM »
Those are the needles and yes you can buy them without prescription - they are very fine and suitable for insulin and if its small lots of injectable Metacam ideal for that to except its a bit gloopy

There are so many different types of needles - I have about 7 different sorts for giving sub Q fluids, injecting and drawing them, ASntibiotics, Liquid Metacam, Vit B injections and a couple of other sorts depending on how big the cat is and whats needed to go in them - proper pharmacy of needles here :shocked:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2014, 21:54:22 PM »
Sheila - I have to pretend i'm a drug user  :rofl:

I'll just settle for a jar or something with a lid - the needle itself is protected by a red cap anyway.

Gill - I have red tipped needles 1/2" although they are syringes really with a needle at the end

This is the box and you can see the red cap http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/caninsulin-syringes-05ml-pack-of-30.html

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2014, 20:37:58 PM »
I dont know the difference between needles for cATS AND NEEDLES FOR HUManS BUT KNOW TGHE ONES FOR CATS ARE grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr in coloured 'holder' orange, blue and green and which colour determines how thick. The syringe bit also comes in different sizes and think the short chunky ones are used for diabetic cats.

i was given thesze to inject napoleon with his abs as they sort fit in the palm of hand and are easier to use.

tbh i would stick with what the vet gives you.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2014, 19:30:01 PM »
Miroslav, I don't mean to cause offense to any reader but free needles are available on the NHS to drug users, I know this facility is abused by bodybuilders who use them for their steroids, just an observation...  :-: i wonder if PDSA might help you out with sharps?

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2014, 17:59:25 PM »
Liz - I will use something else. It's only £5.74 but it's the principal of paying for a plastic box. They probably empty it in the vets and try and get as many crammed into their own ones.

I know about the insulin - luckily the vet told me or I may have shaken it!

I was told to use each needle just once?

The vets don't give me prescriptions, they just give us the things we need.  I know they make their money like this and don't want to upset them too much as Minty's life is their hands. Can I buy needles without prescription?

Gill - i'm going to use something else when i've filled this box.

The vet nurse is strange. I think she's a bit backwards. The usual vet nurse is friendly and helpful. As a whole, they are a friendly vets, but one or two don't appear to be the brightest.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2014, 16:42:14 PM »
Just put the needles in a glass jar or plastic container with lid.this is so pathetics and what use is a vet nurse who doesnt interact with animals...............fire her!

No wonder insurance keeps going up with vets ripping people off

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #154 on: November 21, 2014, 15:58:11 PM »
I have used coffe jars, the boxes from Washing up tablets and my vets took them no issue and if its a full bottle of insulin then depending on the dose it can last a while longer than they recommend and we never chucked a bottle till it wash finished and the one thing to remember is to roll the bottle to mix the contents as shaking destroys the suspension

I was also as my vet put it to good with a needle and used the same one twice a day with no ill effects on my last 3 diabetics

I would shop about for the needles as am sure that Vetmeds or similar are cheaper to buy but never were for us with our vets discount

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2014, 15:10:04 PM »
and they wonder why people don't take pets to the vet, I'm sure you wouldn't mind if it was for medicine but a plastic box???

I am a little annoyed although the easiest thing for me to do is not replace it next time and just fill up another box of my own.

The first vet didn't offer one, the second one did when I asked what to do with the needles, although he took the first lot I had in a bag and put them in his own sharps box is his consultation room.

Today it was a vet nurse who I find, not unfriendly, but not as smiley as the others. She also seems awkward around the animals that come in and not really wanting to interact with them.

Oh well, next time I needles in just over two weeks, i'll just go in for the needles and not a box!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2014, 14:52:54 PM »
and they wonder why people don't take pets to the vet, I'm sure you wouldn't mind if it was for medicine but a plastic box???

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2014, 14:47:57 PM »
I got my sharps box free but in the end used coffee jars and just handed them in to the vet with no issues, also the boxes washing powder capsules come in works a treat as well

Needles and Insulin do however work out at about £35.00 a month depending on the insulin dose - I have had 3 diabetics and have 2 Hyper thyroids as well

Just been to the vet and it's £5.74 for a sharps box which needs to be replaced every month  :-[

I think next time I will be using a washing powder box.

My bill today was £32.86 for 25 days of insulin, 30 needles and the sharps box.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 14:48:25 PM by Miroslav »

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #150 on: November 07, 2014, 21:58:25 PM »
I do think it is age and diabetes.

Insulin seems to help. Vet said it takes a few days for insulin to take effect and she's been good since Tuesday evening now ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #149 on: November 07, 2014, 19:25:44 PM »
Xrays would show if there was or had been damage to pelvis but suspect that even if she had an old injury nothing would help as like Sheila its a matter of time.

I think that her age is catching her up but sounds like the insulin is helping

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #148 on: November 07, 2014, 17:14:48 PM »
Hi Sheila

How would the vet find this out? Would their be any pain?

I ask as the vet examined her and felt all around her body and she didn't flinch or anything.

I think she is aware of when she needs to go but I think she's just not making the effort to go to the tray, although she as improved. Today she's been up and downstairs trays when i've been out and made her way to and from the bed and her chair, so I think she is improving.

Their is a problem there in that usually she will hold on when I grab her and just moan before I let her go, but last night she decided to just pee there and then.

It may be pelvic but would the vet not pick that up? I know you say loss of sensation, so you may be right. Certainly another avenue explore.

I'm working the weekend, so it's 3 hours in work, check at lunch, 3 hours in work and then home. Not big shifts but enough to keep me away from madam  :-[

The evenings will be party time though. If you think a food fest in front of the footie is a party.

Not sure the good lady and friend who live with me will think it's a party, but if I tell them Minty thinks it's a party, I may get away with it  ;D :naughty:

Miroslav, I'm putting some of the posts together and coming up with a teeny tiny theory.

She's lost her confidence on the stairs...

Pooing outside her tray....

Two accidental wees, one with a little squeeze....

May have had a fall....

I wonder, putting all these things together if she has in fact injured her pelvic area and lost some sensation in her bowel and bladder. This may be what's confusing her, if she can't feel the need to "go" then she may not realise she's actually going?

I'm comparing apples with oranges, I suffered multiple fractures to my pelvis some years ago and this loss of sensation actually happened to me, I'm almost right these days but the first few weeks were difficult to manage until the bones knitted and nerves mostly repaired themselves.  :doh:

Wishing you and Minty some loving times over the weekend.  :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #147 on: November 07, 2014, 15:41:20 PM »
Miroslav, I'm putting some of the posts together and coming up with a teeny tiny theory.

She's lost her confidence on the stairs...

Pooing outside her tray....

Two accidental wees, one with a little squeeze....

May have had a fall....

I wonder, putting all these things together if she has in fact injured her pelvic area and lost some sensation in her bowel and bladder. This may be what's confusing her, if she can't feel the need to "go" then she may not realise she's actually going?

I'm comparing apples with oranges, I suffered multiple fractures to my pelvis some years ago and this loss of sensation actually happened to me, I'm almost right these days but the first few weeks were difficult to manage until the bones knitted and nerves mostly repaired themselves.  :doh:

Wishing you and Minty some loving times over the weekend.  :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #146 on: November 07, 2014, 15:01:27 PM »
She acted as if nothing was wrong. She cuddled back in with me before I couldn't take it any more and had to wash and change bedding.

Never done it before, so must be for current reasons.

Hopefully she wont do it again, but next time she wants to leave, I won't be begging her to stay  :rofl:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #145 on: November 07, 2014, 14:51:41 PM »

Love knows no bounds, Moiroslav.    :hug: :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #144 on: November 07, 2014, 14:51:23 PM »
she is a mature lady, comes to us all in the end  :naughty:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #143 on: November 07, 2014, 14:46:33 PM »
Still all good, aside one thing.

In bed last night she was cuddling me and then got up to leave. I stopped her to give a hug before she left - she wee'd on me  :sick: :rofl:

Deserves me right for laughing about the vet, although my wee'd on  was a very minimal amount although it was over my naked stomach :P

Still, she's used the downstairs tray whilst I was at work  :evillaugh:

Shattered after work - I had to clean myself off in the middle of the night and change my bedding - little madam  :tired:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2014, 20:52:28 PM »
Yes you tried  ;D

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #141 on: November 06, 2014, 18:54:39 PM »
Minty got down from her chair earlier but was confused. I took her to the tray downstairs but she refused to acknowledge it.

I took her upstairs and she used her upstairs trays - well, tried too, but missed.  :P

She's had another good day and the vet phoned to say not to bring her in as she was doing well and they are there when we need them and when we need more insulin.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2014, 12:26:32 PM »

Paddy didnt do stairs for the last year or so of his life either.   :hug:  Think sometimes it's a confidence thing, sometimes they are too challenging for weak legs or arthritic conditions, and as Gill says, sometimes it's really hard to say why.  Doesnt really matter if you can accommodate her food nad litter needs one way or another.  :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #139 on: November 06, 2014, 12:17:09 PM »
Yyes it sounds that she has a real problem with stairs.

Napoleon when he was having seizures had a problem. He didnt want to do stairs or jump up onto anything.

She has either had an accident, legs or head dont feel right, lost confidence but whatever she has a problem with them and quite rightly looks to her slave to help her  :innocent:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #138 on: November 06, 2014, 09:42:16 AM »
Gill - She's still not used downstairs tray though. Maybe she's not used to it.

Certainly lets me know in the morning that it's food time  :wow:

Sue - Very good thanks.

She's back to where she was over a week ago. Only concern is she's asking me when downstairs to go to the loo. I'm not sure her confidence on the stairs is that good as she's downstairs all day. At night, after a few hours, she will come downstairs, almost as if to say after moaning to me, she'll be downstairs waiting for breakfast  :evillaugh:

I'm wondering if she's had a fall down the stairs or something without me realising.

I've contacted the vet to see if she wants to see her. I'm reluctant the way she is as she's happy and I don't wish to upset her and knock her back. We'll see what she says.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #137 on: November 06, 2014, 07:02:34 AM »
Morning Miroslav.  How was your night, and how is Minty today?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #136 on: November 06, 2014, 00:12:03 AM »
Well she is comunicating with you. thinking things out , sounds good  ;D

hope you both sleep well

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2014, 21:49:07 PM »
Going to bed in a minute and Minty is still good.

She meowwed at me earlier and I took her to her tray.

It seems when she is downstairs she wants me to take her to her tray. She does have one downstairs now too but yet to use it.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #134 on: November 05, 2014, 14:25:27 PM »
Lovely story and nice to think of Minty getting some revenge on the vet!  :rofl: I'm glad that things are going well today, long may it continue  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2014, 12:37:37 PM »
Love thinking of that cheshire grin  :rofl:

Every day as it comes and thats a good one  :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2014, 11:13:09 AM »
Yes it is.

Take it bit by bit though as it may be just for a short while.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2014, 09:22:47 AM »
A promising update, Miroslav.   :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2014, 09:20:47 AM »
The Sharps Box may have been free. We didn't get a breakdown of costs.

We already have insulin, it was just needles, although Minty will need more insulin on Thursday.

Forgot to say yesterday, when in the vets, Minty was laying there with head facing me, back end facing vet, vet was talking and Minty looked at me, lifted her tail and let out a gush of pee all over the vet who ducked for cover.

I know cats can't smile, but I could swear their was a look of satisfaction on her face and if she could smile, she'd have  had a big cheshire grin  :rofl:

She's been very good overnight. Stayed with me all night other than to use litter tray and eat/drink. Waking me around injection time to ask for breakfast. Very perky and relaxed today. As normal as she has been since this started again and i'd say very close to being her usual self.

I got my sharps box free but in the end used coffee jars and just handed them in to the vet with no issues, also the boxes washing powder capsules come in works a treat as well

Needles and Insulin do however work out at about £35.00 a month depending on the insulin dose - I have had 3 diabetics and have 2 Hyper thyroids as well

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2014, 22:18:05 PM »

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #128 on: November 04, 2014, 18:42:35 PM »
I shouldn't moan, but £53 for a sharp box, 30 needles and a glucose test plus I guess the consultation fee is a bit OTT.

Nothing that couldn't have waited until Thursday when we must return again.

Minty has perked up though - still £53 plus journeys both ways was an expensive perk up!

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2014, 15:22:59 PM »
Looking at your suggestion, Gill, I think that seems to be about right and something easy enough to do.

We'll see what he says in an hour.

Link to CatChat