Author Topic: New kitten & resident cat - advice please  (Read 25113 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: New kitten & resident cat - advice please
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2014, 13:27:45 PM »
  Oh Sue I was exactly the same!  Couldn't wait to get Mosi down there for a health check (which he didn't really need) just to show him off!     

What are we like?   :rofl: :rofl:

I've never heard how Jaffa and Mosi were introduced before.  How lovely that it worked from the outset - I know what you mean about the dynamics subtly shifting.  It's fascinating to watch.  I mean Tinks is older than Moray, and yet he gives ground to Moray all of the time, and not because Moray bullies him - he doesn't - he's very subtle about being "in charge" and yet not above giving Moray a right good biffing, rolling round the floor and being a dafter big bruvver with him when the mood is on him.   :)

I think the dynamics of cat relationships is one of the most interesting things about them.

NikNakNoo - just wondering, with the opiccies you have, might be worth printing a couple off, and showing them to Bebe now.  Kind of getting her used to the idea.  She may well "recognise" his shape, colouring, features etc by the time he comes to stay.  Or maybe that's just me being a bit barmy?  :shify:  Might also be an idea, next time you visit Bruno, to take something with you of yours - a towel or a piece of clothing, and rub Bruno with it to get his scent on it.  Take it home, and casually leave it somewhere that Bebe can scent it, without being too obvious about it.   

Rosella, I remember how Boris won the day, as it were.    :)  Cant believe he's bullying Ruby.   :no no:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2014, 13:20:58 PM »
I found that the dynamics between them constantly changed and things would be good, then deteriorate a little, then get a bit better and the relationship between them did change as Mosi grew into adulthood

Very true Susanne.  When Boris arrived as a 4 month kitten, pretty well everyone used to swear at him (hiss) and warn him to keep his distance but he was incorrigible  :innocent:  However it wasn't long at all before everyone was putty in his paws and he single pawedly knotted our band of furries together within weeks.  It was an eye opener  :) 

Three years down the line and he is now being not very nice ....  to our lovely Ruby in particular  :(  It'll sort itself out no doubt but certainly relationships change over time.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2014, 11:52:18 AM »
Food!

Jaffa and Mosi bonded over baked beans (well, the sauce) the day after I brought Mosi home.  I put my plate on the floor and neither could resist.  Mosi was 14 weeks and Jaffa was 8 years.  Without a lot of space I risked introducing them once Mosi was settled, had eaten and used the tray etc. and Jaffa was settled in another room.  Initial response from Jaffa was - what on earth are you?  oh ok but just bear in mind I'm the boss.  get too close and I'll hiss.  get closer and I'll sit on you.  response from Mosi was oh ok that's fine as long as you play with me. 

It took a few weeks before Jaffa was totally relaxed around him but they played together and everything was ok until Mosi got a bit bigger and a bit bolshier.  And I think testosterone started to influence things (he was neutered at 5 months).  One thing I learned from introducing Jaffa and Mosi is that introductions are not a one off thing.  It isn't always a case of going through the process then you're done, especially with a kitten who will grow and mature.  I found that the dynamics between them constantly changed and things would be good, then deteriorate a little, then get a bit better and the relationship between them did change as Mosi grew into adulthood (he's a Somali so wasn't fully mature until at least 3 years - physically that is.  mentally I don't think he's matured yet  :Crazy:) and Jaffa got older.  Overall they have been great together but things have been a bit fraught at times and I have had a few problems with Jaffa peeing outside the tray which I think is due to insecurity and wanting to mark his territory. 

Would I do it again?  I absolutely love Mosi to bits and wouldn't be without him but I don't think I paid enough attention to his temperament and to matching it with Jaffa's.  I was told he was a dominant cat and the liveliest of his litter and that he could turn out to be a handful.  Did I listen?  Only partially.  He was so small and cute and cuddly I just couldn't say no.  but I have ended up with 2 male cats who are both quite dominant and I really would have been better off getting a kitten with a more placid temperament who wouldn't seem like a threat to Jaffa.

edit - Oh Sue I was exactly the same!  Couldn't wait to get Mosi down there for a health check (which he didn't really need) just to show him off!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:53:22 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2014, 11:51:01 AM »
Yes he will be wormed and started on flea treatment which is great. Tho we will get him vet checked when he comes to us anyways :)

I always love the vet check bit, cos I can never help being the overbearing Mum in the school playground:  "What do you think of our Reginald/Humphrey/Minnie/insert name of choice - isn't he/she wonderful???!!!"   Am always grinning ear to ear and just desperate to hear how gorgeous our baby is.  I'm incorrigible!  :evillaugh: :naughty:

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Bebe & Bruno
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
Yes he will be wormed and started on flea treatment which is great. Tho we will get him vet checked when he comes to us anyways :)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2014, 11:25:20 AM »
will he have been wormed when he comes to you?  if not probably worth doing as that can make them look a little bit round!

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2014, 11:22:25 AM »
Haha :) yes they are a better way of describing him. And also "well-rounded" haha bless him. Can't wait to see him at 8 weeks. Hope Bebe prepares herself for a bundle of madness :).

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2014, 11:08:42 AM »
I'd have said "sturdy" or "robust"   :Luv:   He's a similar shape to our Ross when he was a little ticky-tacker.  He grew to be a big lad too.  :)

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2014, 11:05:40 AM »
He's a chunky monkey do you not think? :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2014, 11:02:04 AM »
 :wow: :wow: :wow:  Look at him grow!!     Oh he's so lovely.  No wonder you can't wait til he can come home with you.

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2014, 10:22:33 AM »
More pics...oh okay then :)

Bruno at just over 4 weeks:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2014, 06:49:43 AM »
Haha :) oh dear well least he will have fun and I'm hoping he will feel safe in there and he can have his own space. Just want to bring him home. Recd more pics today and he is growing daily ...it's amazing :)

It's lovely to watch them change and grow, their characters develop and come to the fore and to get a glimpse of the cat the kitten will become.   :)  Would love to see more piccies if you fancy posting them?  ;D

Gill - the thought of Lupin in a play pen had me just  :rofl: :rofl:  the Harry Houdini of the cat world? Lupin's gotta be the biggest kitten of them all.   ;) :evillaugh:

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 17:39:01 PM »
Haha :) oh dear well least he will have fun and I'm hoping he will feel safe in there and he can have his own space. Just want to bring him home. Recd more pics today and he is growing daily ...it's amazing :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 17:26:39 PM »
That looks great and agree with Sue LOL

Now if I had one of thos for Lupin in garden.....................maybe not lol

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 10:47:16 AM »

He's a kitten - it's his job!  :evillaugh:

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2014, 10:38:52 AM »
Lol :) Yes I hadn't thought of that .....hopefully he doesn't work that out haha

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2014, 10:32:36 AM »

Well, that's a bobby dazzler!   :wow:  I suspect you may find he propels himself across the floor in it.  :evillaugh:

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 10:23:24 AM »
That is so cute :) that's what I'm hoping....he will just be a giant squishy baby lol this is what I've ordered...
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=774&pf_id=50516 - hope that's okay sharing the link. You reckon that'll be okay?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2014, 10:08:51 AM »

That sounds like a great idea.   :) :)   

Well, Ross, who was Moray's predecessor was a big lad, and he still insisted on stuffing himself into his way-too-small bed and we would smile indulgently as we'd see bits of him flopping out over the top and sides.   :Luv:  Overspill.    :shy:

Sometimes, even big boys need a cuddle, or a toy, or a play pen, way after they've become even bigger boys.  ;) :evillaugh:

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 10:04:44 AM »
Indeed :) I've bought a pet play pen for him so he and Bebe can mingle without being able to get to one another...though I'm not sure Bruno will fit for very long as he's such a big boy lol I have a gut feeling Bebe will be very unbothered by the new arrival and just take it in her unflappable stride :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 10:00:51 AM »

Let's hope so.     :hug: :hug:   

It's often the case that people who do genuinely love their animals dont always get the most desirable education in terms of neutering etc, and you have to deal with people carefully to avoid alienating them - particularly if you're hoping to adopt from them.  We're always keen to get the message out there, but it can be difficult.

As to RTA's, we moved to an area we thought was quieter and safer regarding our cats.  Sadly, we've still lost two in the last two years to the roads.

Anyway.  Let's not dwell on things that you can't do much about right now, as it's not really that helpful to you just this minute -  let's focus instead on how you will be able to integrate Bruno and Bebe, and think about what you can do to maximise everyone's pleasure in having a new addition to your family.   :hug: :hug:

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 09:53:45 AM »

Pregnancy, and there is the added factor that if she (God forbid) was involved in an accident, the kittens may be left without a Mother.   

Yeah that's something else I was worried about. Thankfully though, they live somewhere extremely quiet.

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 09:52:43 AM »
Ah okay. That's what I thought. But as sue p said , sadly it's out of my control. They seen good genuine people who care very much for their animals so I think it's more not being aware of the above fact then just allowing it to happen

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 09:51:10 AM »

Pregnancy, and there is the added factor that if she (God forbid) was involved in an accident, the kittens may be left without a Mother.   

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 09:45:27 AM »
yes they can mate again very quickly and she won't have recovered from the last lot

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 09:43:34 AM »
poor mum cat going outside again already

Why do you say that?? Is it because she can now mate again? Sorry if that's a stupid question
I thought it was a bit soon to let mum and kittens be apart with mum going outside but I can't actually say how long she is leaving them for as I don't know.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 09:32:32 AM »
poor mum cat going outside again already

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 07:26:54 AM »
Between 8 and 12 weeks is a good time to adopt, and the longer a kitten is with it's Mother and littermates, the more likely it is to learn boundaries and cat-technique for want of a betetr description.

However, I think we all appreciate  there are often reasons why people will not retain kittens for that ideal length of time.  If the owner of this litter will agree, then that's fab.  If they won't, and are determined the cats have got to go, you would need to consider taking Bruno when she wants you to, or potentially that she may find another taker for him.

Mother cats will often seek an opportunity for a bit of time away from their kittens and now their eyes are open and they're not entirely helpless it's not unusual.  I'd be less happy at the thought the Mum cat was going outside for prolonged periods of time, but I guess that's outside of your control anyway.   :hug:

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 12:19:20 PM »
I know. Me too....I will say I'd rather take him at 8 weeks. The mum of the kittens is now going back outside and leaving the kittens, is this normal??

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 11:55:05 AM »
Our Boris was a diddy little fella.  It was touch and go whether vet would neuter him when he reached 6 months.  Despite vet nurse feeling sure he would always be a diddy little fella, he is pretty normal size now.  I would also think mom and dad's genes would be the determining factor on his eventual size rather than his size at 4 weeks.  I don't think size should determine whether a cat should be indoor or outdoor either.

I would be very uncomfortable taking a kitten away from his mum at only 7 weeks old though :(.  Sorry had to say it  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 07:17:27 AM »
Whether or not he grows to be a cat isn't the determinate factor as to indoor cat status.  It's how much stimulus you can create for him in his environment.  I daresay he will be a larger size cat from the sound of things, but many larger cat breeds are kept as indoor only (ragdoll, maine coon, Norwegian forest cat for example).

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 00:51:15 AM »
Well mum is quite a large lady and we think we've seen dad and he's a big boy too lol :) he does seem very keen on his food and is the biggest kitten out of the litter of 4. He was the third to be born. :)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 00:41:57 AM »
I don't know if being a big kitten means he is going to be a big cat - maybe he might be a greedy cat tho?! size is probably determined by the parents genes. I don't think size is a factor when deciding if an indoor/ outdoor life is suitable....

Just make sure for both of them they have plenty of excersise and things to occupy them while you are out.

Someone posted a thread in the last few weeks about the best toys for indoor cats. sorry can't post a link on my phone but maybe someone else can?!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline MrsPurrfect

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: George, Milly and Ollie
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 22:33:10 PM »
Hi Nik

My two older cats were over 5 years old when MrPurrfect and I got Ollie.  I guess we fell luckly.  We let Ollie explore round the room and kept George and Milly out of the way while Ollie got used to his new home.  Ollie was a very outgoing kitten and not timid at all, which I think helped, and it was not long before he had been for a look round. 

We let in George and Mills to see what all the fuss was about.  We didn't want them to feel left out.  Near enough to intervene if necessary we put Ollie down. Milly sniffed, put her nose in the air and walked away (very typical Milly like behaviour).  George however was not very impressed.  He growled and stalked off in a huff.  We left him to it as we definitely did not want to force anything.  He hid in our bedroom and came down to have another look a couple of hours later.  As the offending interloper was still there, he glared at me and went back off again. 

We separated Ollie from the other two when it was bedtime and although there were no major fireworks, we did not leave them alone.  It did take George a while before he realised that Ollie was not going anywhere and to make George feel left out I made sure I had plenty of quality time with him so he knew he was still my special furbaby.  Milly was amazing.  She just took things in her stride and very quickly joined in Ollie's made half hours.

George and Milly are still as inseparable as ever but now all three of them can occasionally be found curled up together.  That is when Ollie has a quick sleep to recharge his batteries before resuming his mission of systematicaly destroying the house and looking incredible innocent while doing it. 

I am sure all cats are different and you will probably get some good advice from some more experienced members

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 21:01:43 PM »
....one other question....if Bruno is a big kitten is that likely to mean he is going to be a big cat? And if so, being a big cat is being an indoor only cat unfair? Thanks

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 14:19:07 PM »
Thanks for all your replies. The people we are getting him from said they may let the kittens go at 7 weeks depending on how well they are doing. He's 4 weeks old but a chunky monkey and already eating solid foods and he was the first one to use the litter tray. I think I'd be happier if he was 8 weeks and maybe more. I had read that they learn a lot from their mum's between 8 and 12 weeks. Though I guess with Bebe already being a mum to two litters she may be well placed to teach and help little Bruno. I just hope and wish that Bebe likes Bruno, just want Bebe to have a friend :)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 13:11:15 PM »
A word of advice on bringing a kitten into your home .............. don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!   :scared: :shify: :shify: :scared:

I jest, I jest  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:  You must however be prepared for young Bruno.  I assume he will only be in the 8 to 12 weeks ball park?  If so, I suggest you try and leave him with mom if possible for nearer to 12 rather than 8 weeks as mom dishes out a little discipline in that time.  Watch out for him chewing wires whilst he is teething.  Try and safeguard as much wiring as you can.  We've had to get hi-fi and telephones repaired.  Block up any open chimneys ......... get the idea? 

I'm sure there's a link somewhere that will help prepare you for what is to come  :shify:  Kittens are utterly adorable  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: but I'm taking a breather from them for the moment having brought 5 into our home over the last 5 years or so  :innocent:  Now where's that link?

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4790.0.html

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 09:00:26 AM »
 :wow:   Bruno's gorgeous!!  Bet you cant wait to have him home with you.

I think as Emmy-Lou has said it's a bit easier to introduce a kitten into a household where you have another cat which is not too elderly or set in their ways (although some elderly cats respond very well to having a kitten around, so no hard and fast rules!)

We introduced 3 month old Moray to 18 month old Tinks, and after some initial horror on Tinks part, and much running away and slinking back again, they got along fairly quickly, which was down in part to the very great wisdom Moray showed for such a young cat, as he seemed to innately know that Tinks needed a softly-softly approach. 

Pav, another Purrs member, also introduced her cat Miss Felicity to a young and homeless Mr Jangles, and with similar results in a relatively short period of time - in fact Pav was my mentor and "go to" for inspiration.

It really is a good idea to set up a separate spot for young Bruno, and if you dont have a lot of space, then a cage would be a good investment, as he will learn to think of it as his "safe space" and Bebe will be able to view him in a favourable position, again from her own place of "safety."    We made Moray a little den in our spare bedroom.  He had his litter tray there and his food and water (never put the two near each other - litter trays should be at the opposite side of the room to any food if possible.  Whenever we weren't around to supervise, Moray went into his den, and Tinks had the run of the house.  It wasnt long before Tinks would go up and sit outside the door to the spare room, curious about the kitten inside.   :shify:

For us, the key to integration was taking this steady, and involving both of the boys in regular playtime sessions with the flying frenzy toy - like a wand with a feather attachment on the end of a piece of string.  Naturally, Moray as a kitten thought playtime was just amazing, but Tinks became interested too, and would join in enthusiastically - until he remembered he was meant to be sulking, and he'd scuttle off for a bit to watch.  Wasnt long before he was joining in again in spite of himself, and I think it took less than three weeks before - eventually - we found Moray curled up next to his new big bruvva, and a look of real satisfaction on his little face. 

It looked just like this.   Moray's on the left and Tinks is on the right - with the big goofy grin on his face. 

We began to introduce joint feeding after about a week, but we always made sure that Moray had a little food in his den anyway, and we would always supervise mealtimes.  Thankfully, we had little trouble on that score, and they settled to eating together more or less from the outset of our joint feeding venture.

If you play with and pay attention to both of your cats, respond to their needs, and provide them with love and stability and stimulus (particularly if they're going to be indoor only cats) then they will stand every chance of growing up to be happy, well rounded characters.

If they are indoor cats, then think about trying to provide a good size climbing platform for them to share, or a separate one each, and if it's possible to locate them by a window where they can watch things going on, then that's ideal (but taking care to ensure they cant get out of any open window - and cats and kittens can be wonderfully imaginative when it comes to escape - never think a gap is too small!)

Two litter trays are better than one - three are better than two, but when space is limited, that can be tricky, so you have to try and adapt your home as best you can.   Be aware of any inappropriate toileting that may crop up - it can be a sign of stress, and can be a potential problem of sharing one litter tray between two cats.   A plug in diffuser such as Pet Remedy or Feliway can help to calm the atmosphere too - they smell like sweaty socks to us, but they can help cats to feel more settled.  You can buy them online more cheaply than at the pet shop, but either way, they're not a bad idea to begin with.  We had two - one downstairs in the living room, and one on the landing midway between the bedrooms.  We only used them for around a month before we felt comfortable unplugging them.  Might be an idea to get one, and to plug it in a couple of days before the new arrival comes home.   :)

Cant wait to learn how things go, and dont be shy about asking questions if there's anything that crops up which you're unsure about.  Just to reassure you, there are many many purrs members who've successfully introduced cats and kittens, cats and cats, cats and dogs, cats and guinea-pigs, cats and rabbits and so on, with little or no difficulty.  They key is in being aware, monitoring introductions carefully and not rushing the process by imposing our impatience on the situation.   (And I say this having shed not a few tears myself over our two when we first brought Moray home, but that's a story for a different day  ;)   suffice to say, those tears didnt last long, and were as much a reaction to the cat we'd lost, as to the cats we were trying to integrate  :hug:)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 09:01:09 AM by Sue P (Paddysmum) »

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 23:24:45 PM »
Thank you for your reply :)

Are there any rules to bringing up a kitten so they mature into a well rounded happy friendly cat? Ive never had a kitten and Bruno is going to be a big boy so would like him to be friendly. Any tips or ideas on what to do and what not to do?

Nik

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 15:19:59 PM »
I haven't introduced a kitten myself, but it is meant to be much easier than introducing an adult cat.

I would designate one room for Bruno with everything he needs in it close at hand.when I brought my first two in as kittens they didn't venture out of the living room for a week despite downstairs being open plan!

See how Bebe reacts, then maybe introduce them with Bruno safe in a carrier before you feel confident to let them meet 'properly'

Don't let them have access to each other while you are out until you are positive they are happier with each others company!!!

If you have a small place is there anyway you could borrow a cage from somewhere to keep Bruno in? that would be ideal as he would be safe and they will be able to get used to each other?

Bruno is gorgeous by the way  :Luv2:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Link to CatChat