Author Topic: Anyone had problems with pigeon fanciers?  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Anyone had problems with pigeon fanciers?
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 22:18:41 PM »
That's great news BR, I was wondering about planning permission.

Have been out leafleting the area with a friend. We met some people who thought they may have seen Fred. Fingers crossed. Now Cydric is playing silly devils about coming in. He's hanging around in the garden, but doesn't want to come into the house. Lucy and Victoria are both in for the night.
At this rate, I'll only have the girls left!   :givein:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Ben, Jerry, Archie and Zelda
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 15:42:01 PM »
The great thing with cat-proofing as well is that if you've someone handy in DIY, you could probably just do it yourself for half the cost. Also, even if the neighbour does kick up a fuss, you don't need planning permission or anything like that provided it's kept within your own walls so there is absolutely nothing they can do about it!!  :naughty:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 15:42:40 PM by Blue Rabbit »

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 15:27:35 PM »
I'm thinking of having the garden cat-proofed anyway, so it'll be academic then. For now, it might be preventing Fred and George from returning home.

At least a chocolate teapot would be tasty!
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 09:59:26 AM »
You might have more joy contacting your local council or citizens advice maybe???
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 20:17:23 PM »
What she said! They're about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 19:54:18 PM »
There you have hit the nail on the head! Nothing unless its a high show court case!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 16:13:33 PM »
I rang the RSPCA about the wire on his fence and they said there was nothing they could do about it. I asked what they would do if he put barbed wire there, and they said there was nothing they could do about that either (even though I'm sure it's illegal in the UK). The woman on the phone was pathetic. So I asked her what they could do if he shot one of my cats with an airgun, and she said they could prosecute then. So I said that this was just a different type of weapon, and she repeated that there was nothing she could do.

So what DO they do?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 15:11:14 PM »
we spoke to our neighbours and approached it from the "we want to keep our cats out of your garden" side of things and they were both rather pleased!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 15:04:40 PM »
emmy-lou, I wondered about that too and considered phoning the RSPCA to have a word with him. A friend convinced me that I should talk to him personally for the purpose of neighbour relations, but I don't think I can do this and be pleasant: I'm so angry about it and know it would show. He's also the type to complain if I have cat-proof fencing put up, even though it would keep my cats out of his garden, he wouldn't like it.

Sue, I looked at that method, but don't like the "Prisoner Cell Block H" look about it. The other type looks more natural. I've emailed the company to ask if I could have their system and still keep all the mature shrubs on the perimeter of my garden.

Still no sign of George or Fred.  :'(

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 13:05:35 PM »

A Cat proofes garden is something I would dearly love to do, although my OH doesn't share my views.

This is another good looking professional system - owners based in Stoke on Trent.

http://www.protectapuss.co.uk/faqs/

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 10:12:26 AM »
Is the contraption he has on his fence legal? I know you probably dont want to fall out with him about it, but want your cats to be safe... its tricky...

The log thing looks brilliant tho  :wow:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 17:37:46 PM »
I've been looking at the rolling log system since I saw a vid of it on youtube this afternoon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZYLwlfK7S8
I was watching videos about cat proofed gardens and systems. This one looks the most natural.

I managed to speak to the man next door about my missing cats and asked if he knew of any pigeon fanciers locally. He looked evasive and said no. I pointed out the number of pigeons in the area, but he claimed they were just wild.  :innocent:

I used to be very anti keeping cats indoors, but am beginning to see the sense. The traffic is virtually non-existent here, compared to Selly Oak, but I feel less safe cat-wise. Ferals thrived in S.O. and they were numerous, living on the kindness of various feeders, there are no ferals here. It feels like an anti-cat community.
Mymbles, I've noticed all the cat-blaming and hate. They get blamed for everything from bird slaughter (they never name a bird made extinct by cats) to ruining gardens (at least cats have the decency to bury their poop, and it's great for tomatoes), and worse, sillier extremes.

Some people are really stupid.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 15:38:08 PM »
This is one of the reasons I'm glad my two are indoors. When I see comments about cats on the internet there is so much hate towards them. Even on an anti badger cull facebook page, there was someone who was saying cats should be culled. It's pretty upsetting the amount of hate people have for cats/foxes/seagulls etc. People now seem to view their gardens as an extension of their houses rather than part of nature.   

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 13:58:25 PM »
yes thats it would love to know somebody who had it

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 13:50:16 PM »
Is this the one you mean Dawn?

http://www.katzecure.com/

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 13:35:03 PM »
I have a cat proof garden and agree it isn't pretty, I've been looking at a version which is a sort of rolling log (for want of a better description!) let me see if I can dig out the info

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 13:32:11 PM »
Blue Rabbit this is something I'm beginning to seriously consider. All my cats are ex-feral so wouldn't take to being indoor only. I hate the appearance of cat-proofed gardens. At the moment mine looks like a glade in the countryside, cat-proofing would ruin that. It would also be expensive to have done properly and I'm sure the neighbours would complain about the unsightliness!!! (Maybe wishing they had my cats free-roaming instead!)

But the idea is definitely in my mind.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 13:33:13 PM by Hippykitty »

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 13:25:08 PM »
No experience myself but it is this worry and others like it that make me so relieved all of mine are indoor.

This isn't for every cat and owner though, so my suggestion would be to come to a compromise - build a run or cat proof the garden, that way you know they are safe, the neighbours can't get arsey with cat poo in their garden as it's not coming from your lot, and your furries are still able to enjoy the outdoors in a secure environment.

A lot of people will say "ohh that's cruel, cats are meant to roam", etc., but there is firm evidence indicating that cats do adapt to a change like this and adapt well. A lot of cats who wouldn't cope with being exclusively indoor still enjoy a cat-proofed garden because they can go on their hunting trips, enjoy the sun and still be home in time for tea.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 13:25:29 PM by Blue Rabbit »

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Anyone had problems with pigeon fanciers?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 13:12:22 PM »
Two of my cats have recently gone missing. Fred has done this before, twice, but has usually shown his face in the garden; George, however, isn't the type to go missing: he's small and kittenish and stays close to his mum (Lucy) and always comes to me when called.

I moved house last November, from an urban Victorian terrace to a suburban '30s semi. This area is mostly populated by elderly people and a few young families. To my dismay, I discovered soon after moving that the elderly man next door is a twitcher. He's even built a nasty, very thin and potentially dangerous, wire extension on top of his fence. Talking to him through it feels like speaking to someone in prison! It's about 7ft tall and intended to keep my cats from the birds who visit the feeding tables in his garden. The cats just jump over another part of the fence.
I'm suspicious/paranoid of how much he dislikes cats and the danger this very thin wire places them in. I've seen George try to climb it and hate to think what would happen if he got stuck on top; the stuff is like cheesewire. I'm too angry with him to talk to him about it.

A major concern is that there are lots of non-feral type pigeons round here and probably pigeon fanciers. I've been lurking on their forums, many of them really hate cats to the point of shooting them with 22 rifles and other nasty actions.

Has anyone ever had problems with pigeon people and cats? Does anyone here keep pigeons? Is it possible that the 'black hole' which my cats seem to fall into is in any way related to this?

I would move in a heartbeat, but the costs of moving here mean that I need to stay put. The house is nice, I'm just concerned about the locals and my cats.

:thanks:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 13:16:19 PM by Hippykitty »

Link to CatChat