Author Topic: Help! Jijo is very poorly. CRF, Lameness and Lump in Throat - RIP my brave boy  (Read 9302 times)

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
 :( :( :( :(

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
  :hug: :hug: :hug:.
 :'(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
Jijo my dearest, bravest, bestest boy.

I miss you so much. I miss your demanding meow. I miss you following me to the bathroom in the morning. I miss our walks together. I miss arm wrestling with you. I miss you paddling my jumpers and going into your trance. I miss watching you get high on catnip. I miss you nibble-grooming the back of my head. I miss you laying in my lap and making my legs go numb. I miss all our times together. I just miss you Jeej.  :'(

We have a little furbabe, called Jasmine, who needs us just like you did. We will love her and cherish her and she will fill the hole that you left behind, but she will never take you place in our hearts.

Thankyou for my Rainbow my sweet boy. Now go and play with Holly. Love you both xxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline den22

• Distinguished Cat
  • In loving memory of my beloved Butch 1998-2010
  • Slave to: Fudge & Ariel
So sorry for your loss, Jijo was a very lucky boy to have chosen you, he knew you would love him unconditionally and you did right to the end. Don't blame yourself it was his time and you gave the greatest gift of all, Freedom to   
to be healthy and happy again running free at the bridge until you meet again.
 :hug: to you

RIP Jijo running free at the bridge with lots of new furry friends  :)
The Purrs 2013 Christmas Auction is now on!
All funds donated to Feral & Stray Foundation  - starts 17th November to 1st Dec 
Will you be a bidder, or donate something to auction - or both?!

Den22

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
You absolutely did not fail him Carolyn, the grief is making you doubt things that's all  :hug: Any decision made out of love is never wrong and you were being guided by your vet, who also had Jijo's best interests at heart.

I know it must seem impossible at this moment in time but one day, bit by bit, you will start to remember and focus on all the wonderful happy years you had together instead of his last days with you :grouphug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Hindsight is something we would all love when trying to do the best for our furkids

I know that we all think what if but sometimes the decision is not ours to make and we have to remember them for who they were and not what if he will now be whole at the bridge and will send you a sign :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
Thank you every one for your kindness

But I am having serious doubts now that Jijo is at the bridge. I don't think he was ready to go after all.

I feel guilty for letting him down. He trusted me and I made some bad decisions that I believe led to his demise. I know it is difficult when under pressure to make those decisions but ultimately it was still down to me.

I think the anaesthetic he had for the xrays made his kidneys crash and it was my decision to let him have that because I wanted the vet to cure his lameness. His kidney function was basically stable for nearly 2 years then 11 days after the xrays he was too ill to save. Too much of a coincidence to me. It is my fault he is not with me anymore  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I'm so sorry Jijo, I hope you can forgive me.  :'( :'( :'(

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
 :( So sorry  :hug:

RIP Jijo xx

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 08:06:25 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Arthur and Dottie Dillon (Feb 1998 - 18/12/12 RIP),Tom (RIP 12/11/12), Digby (Feb 1998-17/11/10 RIP)
So sorry  :hug: xx

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
So sorry for your loss :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
 :hug: :hug: :hug:  and one for Jijo  :hug:

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
Well, my Jijo was cremated today, and it was hard but we did get through it thanks to the kindness and understanding of the folks at Dignity Pet Cremations.

Jijo is back home with us now inside a lovely carved wooden casket, shaped like a sleeping cat. We have put him by the fireplace, as he always liked to be cosy and warm.

He loved lying in the sunshine or on my lap and would be almost ecstatic as he paddled my jumper, going into a trans-like state of happiness, with purrs as loud as you can imagine. I will miss that. Goodbye sweet boy. always in my heart.  :Luv2: :'(

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
So sorry for your loss Carolyn  :hug: :hug:

RIP Jijo  :(
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
So sad for you and your partner, RIP Jijo.

Our little Harry was cremated at Peaceful Pets, up north somewhere. They do individual cremations.

Take care.x

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
So sorry  :hug:

Offline Scooby

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Hugo / Gilbert
I'm sure these places have to have checks in place Carolyn, so I wouldn't worry.
I used a pet crematorium near Durham and they were absolutely wonderful.  They treated my little Phoebe, (she passed due to PKD at the age of 3) with the utmost care.  They even had a little chapel of rest to say our goodbyes and they really did handle our baby with kindness and such dignity.  I have only very positive things to say about my experience with the pet crematorium.

I'm sure you will find the people who are looking after Jijo's final journey just as compassionate.  If they are anything like the people I chose to use, then they will totally understand how you feel and will treat your little one as the important family member they are to you.   :hug:

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
Thank you everyone for your kind words.

I feel numb at the moment and Izzi, my other babe, seems a bit lost bless her.

We are taking Jijo to Dignity on Thursday to be cremated and I am dreading it. I just know it will be a very difficult day for both myself and Carl. I hope they are good there and that they do as they have told me, as I couldn't bare the thought of Jijo being in the hands of people who don't understand.

I tried to find somewhere closer to home but nowhere else offers the same services. I need to know that it really is Jijo who is coming home with us and not the ashes of other peoples pets and this is the closest I am going to get to knowing that, although there is still a niggling doubt. Is it just me being paranoid?  :(  They will let you be there when your pet is put into the chamber, but how do you know it is him when they give you the ashes?

Has anyone else been there?

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
So sorry to hear of your loss Carolyn,sitting here crying too. :hug:x

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Carolyn , this is so sad, my heart is breaking for you.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Jijo had decided it was his time, though, and you bravely took the right steps to help him to the Bridge without any delay, and stayed with him to the very end.

He will be a happy, healthy boy again, restored to his bouncy and beautiful self, safe and sound at the Bridge by now, together with his beloved Holly, so proud of his Mummy for being so brave. 

He leaves a legacy of love and cherished memories, and for those you will soon be so thankful, as when the pain begins to subside, the joy of knowing Jijo will return and then you will find peace and comfort in your memories.

RIP, Jijo, you were so loved. Send Mummy a rainbow when you get the chance, sweetie. x

Offline Scooby

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Hugo / Gilbert
So sorry to hear of your loss Carolyn :hug:
Jijo was a lucky kitty to have such a loving, caring Mum.
x

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
So sorry to hear about Jijo.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

It's the hardest thing we can do ,but in a way the kindest for them to stop the suffering when there is no hope of them getting better
He will be safe and well again now at the bridge.  :hug: :hug:

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
I am so very sorry and you did the kindest thing for Jijo but its such a hard thing to do  :hug: :hug:

RIP Jijo play hard on the Bridge and you have left a purr in your mjeowmys heart

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
I am so very sorry, Carolyn

I don't think there is a single person on Purrs who doesn't understand the pain of the loss of a beloved cat, and I  just wish we could ease the pain you are going through  :hug:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
Thank you for you kindness everyone.

I have been crying so much that I can hardly see to read but I am really grateful to everyone who has tried to help and I know that Jijo is in no pain now and can go and find  my Holly, who he absolutely worshipped, at the bridge. He will be able to run and play again and not be held back by legs that don't work and he will feast on whatever food takes his fancy.

Go and have fun my precious boy, run and play and be happy. Take care of him Holly. Mummy loves you both very much. xxxxxx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Very sorry to hear this Carolyn  :(  :hug: It sounds like it was the kindest thing to do for him, doesn't make the pain of having to make the decision and losing him any easier though  :hug:

RIP Jijo, safe and sound at the Bridge by now xx

The Greatest Gift

I always knew this time would come,
From the very instant our eyes first met.
How I loved you then! How I love you now!
I made a promise then, and I will keep that promise now...
You will not suffer from a pain that will not heal;
You will not know the loss of a life remembered, now gone.

It is for me alone to make this decision,
The price for the bright joy and pure laughter
You brought me during the time we shared.
I am the only one who can decide when it is time.
When my hope dies, and my fear rides high,
Just when I need you most, I must let you go.

It is for you alone to tell me when you are ready
For without your guidance, I will not know
When to lay my grief, my guilt, my anger
My sorrow and my selfish heart aside
And give you this last gift, this greatest gift.
Your eyes will speak to mine, and I will know.

The pain of this moment is excruciating.
Tears stream down my face in a river of sorrow.
And my heart drowns in a pool of grief.
For you have spoken and I have listened,
And unlike other decisions I have made
This one brings no relief...no comfort...no peace.

For if there´s one thing you´ve taught me,
If there´s only one thing I´ve learned...
Unconditional love has a condition after all,
I must be willing to let you go, when you speak to me
I must be willing to help you go, if you cannot go alone.
And I must accept my pain so you can be free of yours.

Go easily now, go quickly now,
Do not linger here, it is time for you to leave.
Go find your strength, go find your youth.
Go find the ones who've gone before you.
You are free to leave me now, free to let your spirit soar
Rest easy now, your pain will soon be gone.

I pray I will find comfort in my memories...
In the dark and lonely days ahead.
I cannot say I will not miss you, I cannot say I will not cry.
For only my tears can heal my broken heart.
But, I promise you this; as long as I live,
You will live, alive in my mind, forever in my heart.

So I give you this last gift, all I have left to give,
And this will be my greatest gift...sending you away.
It is the measure of my unconditional love...
For only the greatest love can say,
"Good-bye, go find the bridge, we'll meet again,
Loving you has been the greatest gift of all."

Forever and Always... Until Rainbow bridge....

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
oh I'm so sorry to hear that  :hug:

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
Re: Help! Jijo is very poorly. CRF, Lameness and Lump in Throat
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 18:07:25 PM »
I was so worried about Jijo that I took him back to the Vet this afternoon.

He did another blood test and his UREA was > 46.4mmol/L, his PHOS was > 5.19mmol/L both off the scale so the vet was unable to record the exact figure.

His CREA was 537umol/L

So his levels had gone skyhigh in 11 days and he had lost another 0.4Kg in weight in that time.

I was devastated as the Vet said he could give him emergency treatment for the CRF but it wouldn't help him enough to bring his readings down to a reasonable level where he would feel well enough to eat.

His lameness had also got worse. He could barely stand on either hind leg and was basically dragging them along. This had happened in a matter of hours.

The vet also gave him a physical exam and could feel that his kidneys were very lumpy whereas before they felt normal considering he had CRF.

The vet believed that there was no hope for any kind of recovery and said that because of the rapid deterioration he was convinced that there was a cancer there that had also affected Jijo's hind legs.

He said the kindest thing would be to let him go.  :'(

I knew that Jijo was gravely ill. He just wasn't 'there'. He  had given up. He couldn't even bare to be lifted up. I had to let him go. I couldn't let him suffer any more so I asked the vet to phone my partner, Carl, at work, and Carl agreed that it would be the kindest thing.

So Jijo has gone to the bridge. I said my goodbyes and stayed with him until he had gone. I came back home and the house feels so different. I will miss him so very much. He was my little fighter. When we went to the rescue to ask about adopting he was the one that chose us to go home with. That was 14 years ago, almost to the day and it will remain one of the happiest days of my life. This one will be one of the saddest.

RIP my brave little man. I will miss you for the rest of my life.  Love Mummy :'( :'( :'( :'(

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 14:02:29 PM »
I dont know how high this is but it tells the normaL range on the form but this could affect his eating, it certainly did with Ducha and he suddenly lost all his weight and stopped eating within 24 hrs  :(

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 11:03:31 AM »
Hi Gill

His UREA was 17.2 mmol/L and his CREA was 348 umol/L both higher than the normal range.

Everything else was in the normal range.

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 11:00:41 AM »
When you got the results what were the readings for his CRF?

This could be having an effect on his eating

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 10:35:54 AM »
Hi Rosella moggy

We have already tried pain relief and it didn't seem to have any effect which is why our vet doesn't think Jijo is in any pain although I know cats can hide it pretty well. All it did was make him even more sleepy than he is already. 

My big worry now is he doesn't seem to be eating well at all, even for him. I am wondering if the lump is causing him difficulty in swallowing. He has stopped eating his renal biscuits altogether and he only really licks the gravy off his wet food. I am going to give him some more appetite stimulant today and see if that helps although he has had two doses of that over the last week and a half.

He is really not himself and I am very worried about him.  :'( I might take him to get weighed again tomorrow.

Thanks to you all for you advice and I will let you know what happens.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 09:52:05 AM »
This is such an excellent site and you have had some very good advice  :hug:

I too wonder a little at the sudden onset of lameness and very much hope you find that this clears in time and would ask your vet again about using pain relief for a week or so at least if his CRF is not too bad. 

Sending every good wish for Jigo  :care:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 16:51:11 PM »
Pleased to hear that the thyroid result is normal, fingers crossed the lump is something harmless and that you can get to the bottom of the lameness  :hug: I was going to suggest you ask about the possibility of being referred so that's good that your vet has already done so.

Please let us know how he gets on next week  :hug:

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 15:25:15 PM »
Good luck for next week and hope it all goes well  :hug: :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 14:08:19 PM »
good luck for next Thursday for you and Jijo - and although he is going to the vet hospital specifically for his lameness, you will have the opportunity to get a second opinion on the throat lump

when I took my Trigger to Wooton-under-Edge for his radioactive iodine treatment, I made sure I pumped the vet there for his opinion on a large lump on his leg
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 13:28:31 PM »
Well, the thyroid test came back normal so the lump in Jijo's throat is a mystery and the vet doesn't want to do a biopsy because of the deicate nature of the position it is in and it is not causing Jijo any bother.

He has an appointment at the Vet hospital in Bath next Thursday where he has been referred by his usual vet to have his lameness assessed by a specialist so hopefully we will know more then.

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks everyone.

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 10:30:41 AM »
so sorry to hear jijo and you are having a bad time  :hug:

i would not think there could be any association with the hyperthyroid and lameness. there can be lameness associated with arthritus that does cause compaction in the spine, although in the (limited) experience i have had of that it is a gradual thing and unlikly to go from OK to lame in one day. we did have a cat here that became very lame from a spinal injury after being trapped under some furniture. could Jijo have had a fall or other injury? when they are arthritic they can be a bit wobbly and prone to it.

for our cat that had the injury it just took time for it to repair, we could use steriods to help her though. but the main thing that helped was time plus metacam.

it can be a real job balancing meds for different conditions, but balancing a renal condition and a thyroid one is something vets are used to.
good luck xx
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 16:38:36 PM »
I really hope that the results give some definative idea what the problem is  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Maybe Langford have am MRI scanner now or have a mobile one that comes in regularily and £800 is very good cos it was going to cost an estimated £3000 for the one for Naploeon.

If Jijo is able to travel and can cope with the anaesthetic I think I would go for the scan depending on the current results.

To my knowledge I do not believe that hyperthyroid would cause lameness.

I am pleased you have written loads down to ask the vet cos in times of stress like this it is impossible to remember everything.

I hope the vet rings very soon  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Link to CatChat