Author Topic: I've just had to Pick a poor cat off the road  (Read 6144 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: I've just had to Pick a poor cat off the road
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 18:40:07 PM »
I'm so sorry for the poor cat, the owners, and for you Stuart. Such a distressing event. It ought to be mandatory to report running over a cat to the police, just like you have to for a dog. I don't drive, but remember reading that this is the case.

I couldn't keep my six ex-ferals as indoor-only; they'd go crazy, so I hope the goddess takes care of them while they're outside. It's probably more the case that people better watch out, the gang are around!

As far as cars are concerned, I've read in Cat World that more cats per population of pusscats get killed on country roads than on city roads. It's thought that city cats develop traffic sense which country cats, who have less contact with traffic, don't.

So glad you could finally reunite owner and cat. Imagine if he'd spent months just wondering what had happened, where his cat was.

:hug:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2012, 12:16:58 PM »
Oh I WISH!!!

I live on what should be a quiet village lane. I do not know why so many people drive along it and I do not know why they have to go so fast.  We have had countless cats knocked over. Some people are decent enough to stop and take the cat to the vets, some are nice enough to pick the cat up and put it on the verge. Most just hit and run and I'd have their flaming guts for garters if I could get hold of them.

I'll be honest, unless you live miles away from roads or housing estates I would advise anybody getting a kitten, to get two, and keep them indoors so they can play together safely, as well as safeguarding the local birds. In Herne Bay recently a cat was used as target practice for some idiot with a shot gun and had to be put down. There are poisonings, torturing, throwing cats from buildings, swinging them by their tails.  I can't believe how low some people are. I feel guilty keeping my two indoors but they are healthy, happy, safe and thanks to da-bird & red-dot they are active and slender.  Is a dreadful reflection on society but that is what we face these days.

Rant over.  Sorry.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 12:55:52 PM by jo.austin2010 »

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2012, 19:21:05 PM »
Thanks Guys  :shy:

But I only did what any one of us would have done in the same situation  :(

Just wish that These young people who fly about the streets in their car's would slow down and think for a second  :(
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 19:23:33 PM by Stuart »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2012, 18:56:27 PM »
Only jus seen this thread.  Stuart you are a saint .... I'm sure the gentleman although totally heartbroken will be forever grateful that you went "the extra mile" to reunite him and his furry friend. 

RIP little soul xxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2012, 13:35:33 PM »

Stuart, thank the lord you took charge and dealt with this so sensitively.  Although the poor owner won't be feeling too lucky at the moment I am sure he will appreciate
what you did. It must be a comfort knowing that a kind caring person found your cat rather than council disposal.

I remember finding a recently killed ginger cat on the road one morning on my way to work (people were driving cars around him, unbelieveable that they couldn't be arsed to stop), I picked him off the road and his owner saw me through the window, was dreadful for her but as she said it was better than finding him damaged in the road a bit later, or even worse, never finding him at all.

When I hear things like this I am glad I made the decision to keep mine as indoor cats. I can't believe that people do not stop when they hit a cat, how can they live with themselves?.

Anyway, well done Stuart, an awful experience for you but it is so nice to know that there are people out there who will go as far as you to trace the poor cat's owner.

Jo X

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2012, 22:52:01 PM »
You did a wonderful thing Stuart, although so heartbreaking for your self  :hug: :hug:

The owner will be forever grateful to you for your efforts in ensuring his much loved pet was reunited with him  :hug:
When my Tazi went to sleep forever, I would never have known to look there as he was so well hidden. If it wasnt for a young girl in a neighbouring street who had spotted something when retreiving her dog from the shrubbery, I may never have found him  :'( yet through my devastation and the tears I am grateful they did that for me. It is a huge comfort to know your 'baby' is home and that I would not be spending the rest of my life wondering.
So I hope you take comfort in knowing you gave that elderly gentleman the answers and above all that you cared enough :hug: :hug:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2012, 20:16:24 PM »
Thank you for doing such a good deed Stuart, I am sure the gentleman is so sad but relieved to know  :hug: :hug:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 23:26:26 PM »
What a very sad story but at least they know what has happened to their beloved pet and won't be agonising over whether he is out there somewhere.  I'd like to think that if it was either of my 2 someone would do the same for them as you have done for this cat  :hug:

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 21:58:58 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: Stuart. You've done a good thing. Although you feel rubbish, you can also be proud that you gave the family closure on their kitty's chapter. Karma will be kind to you and them. xxxxxx
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 21:48:58 PM »
Stuart, this has torn you apart. Very brave of you to do this last, noble thing for the poor cat and his owner.

It's people like you that restore my faith in human nature. Thank you.  :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 21:21:49 PM »
awww that is so sad, but at least he has him back now and its better than not knowing. Poor owner, he must be devastated and loved him so much to bring him over from America :(

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 20:09:19 PM »
Poor man. I really feel for him. He obviously cared a great deal for his kitty. He's going to be missing him so much  :'( :'( :'( :'(
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 17:19:56 PM »
yes , such a sad ending  :( I think initially He thought the kitty was still alive  :(
the neighbours whom also helped ( I think they called the rspca?) who ever they called, they gave my detail's
when he registered his cat as missing on sunday, they may have called him today to say that I had him?
and I think that's how he ended up at my door, because he said the vet's had not been in touch

But as everyone say's, and as sad as it is, it will be a bit of relief and closure to have his Kitty back with him

Really feel for the old guy tho, a cat lover's worst nightmare  :'(

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 13:22:44 PM »
Stuart you deserve a medal for this - that man will have been so sad BUT so glad he got his cat back even though he was dead.

After 7 months of searching for Smudge every day I was so greatful to be able to bury him in his fave spot in my garden.

Such a shame when he clearly loved his cat so much to bring him from America with him - maybe he will adopt another one?

Mary  :hug:
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 12:16:02 PM »

Oh Stuart - am glad you were able to let the owners know.    It meant so much to us to get Mac's body back,  I know how grateful they'll have felt towards you.  Thank goodness they were able to be reunited.  My heart goes out to them for their loss.  :'( :'(

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 11:53:43 AM »
Oh no! How terribly sad  :( :( :( :(

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 11:24:10 AM »
oh Stuart how awful for you, but like others have said at least the owner knows

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 10:38:04 AM »
The vet's haven't been in touch yet, but I have just had an elderly gentleman and his son at my door :( the kitty was 7 yrs old and had came over from america, it was the elderly gentleman's companion, so sad :( they left to go down to the vet's to collect him, But they were very grateful that I had taken the trouble ( as I am sure any one of us would be in this awful situation ) He did not stay far away, and said usually he would go out for a few hours then would come back again, he had been worried sick all day yesterday and had reported him missing, It would have been a small comfort to him, but I told him it would have been very very quick :(

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 09:27:53 AM »
Oh Stuart  :'( :'( :'(  You must understand you have saved his owners from the most awful agonising possible. 

Not knowing is truly the most terrible thing and, assuming details are up to date, you have saved them from that  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 09:28:45 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 09:24:20 AM »
I feel  :'( now
Just back from the vet's and the Kitty has a Micro chip  :(
the vet will phone me later, just hope the info on the chip is correct and the owners are informed  :( :(

• Honorary Cat
Re: I've just had to Pick Milo off the road
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 08:06:30 AM »
RIP poor Kitty  :( :(

Stuart, bless you for doing all you are to find his owners.  :hug: :hug: :hug: I'm sure they will be very grateful if and when you track them down.

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 01:58:49 AM »
So very sad and hope he has a chip  :hug: :hug:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 00:22:05 AM »
Such awful thing to happen  :'( i hope he is reunited with his owners, they must be worried sick   :'(
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 22:42:00 PM »
sorry to hear this RIP
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 21:38:00 PM »
Thanks Mary , I hope so too, The poor neighbour whom I gave the cat too was a bit upset, but also confused when Milo appeared at his feet  :shocked:
He tried a few places to get the poor kitty scanned, but was told to phone the council and they will dispose of the cat  >:(
I have posted on FB etc, but have kinda made my mind up to take poor Kitty to the vets tomorrow to get scanned, I just hope he is chipped  :(
If not, there isn't really much more i can do, and will have to leave kitty at the vets for them to .................

it's so sad, I really hate this situation :(  :'(

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 21:02:41 PM »
OMG Stuart it gets worse for you  :hug:

The worse thing I ever had to do was pick my darling Smudge up from the side of the road to take him home to be buried - stiff as a board and as light as a feather - I hated it.

Hope the owner is found and the cat can go home to rest in peace  :( :'(

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 17:05:16 PM »
erm, it get's worse, the poor Cat wasn't Milo  :(
Iain and Gwen (owners of Milo) are being really good and are currently trying to find out who the owners are
I Cannot get hold of the local CPL and have suggested to them that he SSPCA will probably have a scanner
Such a shame :( I'll keep you informed with what happens

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 16:22:12 PM »
This is so sad  :(  :hug:

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 12:44:42 PM »
poor poor Milo  :hug: :hug: xx
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 12:36:08 PM »
Sorry to hear this Stuart  :(  :hug: Even though it's not your cat it's gutting isn't it  :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 11:14:14 AM »

Stuart, am so sorry this has fallen to you, but bless you for helping out in such distressing circumstances.  Poor Milo, and his poor owners.  My heart goes out to you all.   :( :'(

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 08:19:38 AM »
Oh Stuart  :'( :'( :'( :hug: :hug: :hug:  Am so sorrry ........

I know how you must be feeling waiting for his owners to come home.  Been there some years ago and it's a terrible thing to have to give news like that  :hug: :hug: :hug:

RIP Milo  :(

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
I've just had to Pick a poor cat off the road
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 07:25:42 AM »
I went out for a cigarette at 6:30 this morning, as soon as I was outside my Next door neighbour opened her door
asking if I could do her a favour? she started going on about her husband who was sleeping refused to do it and
had wretched when he looked out the window, she then went on to say that her son Dylan had been to the shop
and there was a dead cat just in front of their drive and that it was Milo from next door
 :(
Milo was a Huge Ginger Cat, and He wasn't young either, I have seen him every now and then over the past two
years, but he would never come near, very wary of strangers, He was in my garden just two days ago

He was in a pretty bad way ( I will not go into detail's  :'( ) it would have been quick
I've places Him n a cardboard box just now, as the parent's are away for the night as it was their wedding anniversary
yesterday, leaving Just one of the daughter's at home, I can't go round till they get back  :(

It just makes you sick with worry, that's the second furbabe to be taken by the road in the last two month's  :'(
Probably young boy racers in the early hours going too fast

Poor Milo  :(
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 08:55:30 AM by Stuart »

Link to CatChat