Author Topic: Possible Vidalta side-effects?  (Read 53324 times)

Offline MelB

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Toby
Re: Possible Vidalta side-effects?
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 23:05:26 PM »
Thanks everyone! 

I've just had a call from the vets to say he is improving massively on the oxygen, steroids etc.  Apparently he has just wolfed down a full bowl of food and his eyesight is returning!  I can't believe this in such a short space of time - he looked at death's door a few hours' ago. 

I'm not going to get too excited yet as I know these things can be a massive roller-coaster but fingers crossed .....

P.S.  I've just read a quote on this site that said "Its not unknown for sudden correction of hyperthyroidism, especially in the elderly (be it human or animal) to result in a stroke when the body's systems suddenly slow down", although I can't figure who originally posted that information.  I would be very interested to communicate with them and find out where they got the info from.  I am starting to wonder whether the Vidalta dose was too high and hence the cause of the stroke. 

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 22:59:15 PM »
 :( I'm so sorry Mel
Keeping my fingers crossed that the vet can help Toby

:hug: :hug: :hug:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
  • RIP my gorgeous Schmoo xx
  • Slave to: Buddy
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 22:28:54 PM »
Oh Mel I'm so sorry, I hope the vets can help Toby  :-[

Thinking of you all  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 21:51:49 PM »
So sorry to hear about Toby, I hope he will be ok, sending positive vibes  :hug: :hug:

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 21:16:13 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:  for you Mel. This is a horrible thing to have happened to you both. But it might have happened even without the meds. Please try to be a good to yourself as you can. You're doing everything you can hon. X
Gentlest pats for Toby.
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 20:43:39 PM »
I am so terribly sorry  :hug: :hug: :hug:

I hope they can do something to help him

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Possible Vidalta side-effects?
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 20:42:39 PM »
Very sorry to hear this :hug: Hope he can find the strength to pull through and is able to make a recovery :hug;

Offline MelB

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 20:36:40 PM »
It appears that Toby has had a stroke tonight.  He's in the animal hospital and they are going to treat him with oxygen and medication.  I've never seen something so frightening.  The strange thing is he's been at the vets having bloods etc all day, they said everything was fine including BP.  I brought him home, opened the basket and his head just dropped to the floor and he was walking around looking drunk.  He then just started falling asleep on the rug in a strange position.

I have never witnessed anything so awful and I feel that this is possibly the end.  I'm so upset I can hardly see the screen for tears.  I love pets but this is just the hardest part....He has been my baby for 16 years.  My partner keeps telling me that it will be nothing to do with the Vidalta but as he was absolutely fine before, I cannot be so sure.   Life is so awful at times.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 18:39:34 PM »
I do hope that Toby will be OK, sometimes a fast heart rate is just fear, as  Misa is like that when he goes to see a new vet .

Sending loads of good wishes  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 12:51:48 PM »
Hi Mel

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this :(

Firstly though - I know its hard but try not to feel bad about putting him on the tablets - you were only doing what was advised, to try and help Toby long term. HyperT if left untreated can cause all sorts of other problems which can be quite serious, so the vets couldnt in good concience leave him untreated.

Its such a shame he reacted badly to Vidalta, but hopefully the vets will be able to review his bloods and see what caused the problems last night and sort it out. It might be his T4 shot up again, and trying him on the alternate pill (Felimazole) might help.

Thinking of you though - I know how horrid it feels when things arent going to plan (we had months of ups and downs initially - and still do), but just keep telling yourself you are doing your best to help him based on the vets expert advice  :hug:

xx

Offline MelB

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 12:39:50 PM »
Unfortunately Toby has taken a turn for the worse  :(.  I had to see the emergency vet last night because he was having head tremors and seemed really weak.  The vet said his heart rate was very high and wondered if he had had a stroke.  I've taken him to my usual vets today and they are running some bloods and checking his blood pressure. 

I'm so upset - he was perfectly fine before starting the Vidalta tablets.  As I mentioned previously, the only thing I had noticed was that he was losing weight despite a healthy appetite. 

Offline MelB

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 17:54:59 PM »
Thanks. 

Toby's condition has improved dramatically since stopping the Vidalta on Sunday.  The vet said I had done the right thing and she will try an alternative.  I'm going on holiday soon (hate leaving him :() so going to defer starting the new tablets until I get back - I want to be around when he starts this so I can keep my eye on him!  The vet seemed to be happy with this.   

Fingers crossed that we will get this sorted in the end.... ;)

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 12:53:32 PM »
Hi Mel  :welcome:

Welcome to Purrs - I joined for almost the exact same reasons you did - our cat was diagnosed Hyper-T a while ago but we have had various ups and downs with her since then, and I have to say all the lovely people on here have been a huge re-assurance and help!

On the topic of Vidalta, its a mixed bag of reactions as you probably have already read, but I would agree that for a 'slightly elevated' T4 I am a bit suprised that you are on 10Mg straight away. When Schmoo was diagnosed her T4 was sky high, but even with that, our vets started her on a low dose and worked up to her current dose - which is actually now 10mg Vidalta.

Felimazole is the alternate tablet for HT, and although its a twice a day tablet unlike Vidalta, the starting tablet is 2.5Mg - so 5mg a day total. But hopefully your vet will have talked you through all this this morning!

Let us know how you got on  :hug:

Helen

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 16:42:03 PM »
Our Max had Vitalda started on 15mg a day and that wasn't enough so he was then moved up to 20mg a day and he had very high off the scale readings and stabilised after 4 weeks and had the left hand thyroid removed last Wednesday and the pararthyroid was left and now no more tablets required

If in doubt go back to the vets and get blood tested sometimes the amount may not be high enough to counteract the high readings
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline MelB

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 11:31:01 AM »
 :thanks: everyone for your responses.  It's just nice to discuss things like this with other experienced cat owners.  I will post a photo of Toby once I figure out how to do it - he looks much younger than his years!  I've never had a cat live to this age so it's all new territory for me and I have to admit that I'm a bit of a neurotic pet owner but that's only cos I love him so much. 

I've decided not to give him his meds today.  He looks groggy and keeps crying which is upsetting me.  The vet didn't give me the exact T4 result but I'll press her for some further info.  Another thing I haven't mentioned is that he's been having facial twitches for a couple of years - well these seemed to have increased since starting the treatment so maybe another sign that they are not suiting him.

Anyway will ring the vets first thing tomorrow and just hope my baby is back to his old self soon. 

Offline ianthi

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 11:00:52 AM »
Hi MelB,

Sorry to hear about your cat.

What was his T4 on diagnosis? If as you mention the T4 was only slightly elevated then yes the 10mg is most likely too high a dose. I agree with what you've read because what you describe sound to me like overdosing and it's very possible he's now hypothyroid which is something you want to avoid owing to the impact on his kidneys for one thing. I would call the vet and explain the current symptoms and they should advise you to  discontinue the medicaton. In fact I would have a bloodtest now to confirm the current T4 status.

Hope he improves soon!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 08:12:54 AM »
Hi there and  :welcome: to Purrs

As Helen says many people find Purrs through illness but very much hope your lovely boy starts improving.  This is the latest thread on the subject so you will see cats respond differently to the different medications for HyperT.  I imagine vet has suggested 3 weeks and bring him back for more blood tests but I'm sure vet will have said to bring him back earlier if he starts to decline?

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,40273.msg710447.html#msg710447

Sending every best wish for you both  :hug:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 04:01:57 AM »
Hi MelB  :welcome: to Purrs
Sorry it is not under happier circumstances  :(
I think a Lot of People find Purrs the same way ( I did  :( )
But...This is such a wonderful Busy Forum, and I'm sure once all the other peep's wake up tomorrow there will be
someone to answer your question's

18 years is a Brilliant age  ;D and I'm sure every day has been filled with Love from yourself

also Give ( No name Furkid ) a wee pet from me   :care:

Also, do not believe everything you read on the net, " sometimes the best thing to do is not to "
Hugs for you
 :hug: :hug: :hug:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 01:09:32 AM »
If you look in this section you will find a very recent discussion on this

Offline MelB

• Kitten
Possible Vidalta side-effects?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 00:30:40 AM »
Hi there, I'm a newbie and really worried about my senior cat.  He's about 18 and his health has been fantastic up to now.  I noticed he was losing weight so took him to the vet who ran some bloods and said he was hyperthyroid.  She started him on Vidalta 10 mg once daily and he's been on that for about 2 weeks.  He was ok at first but he seems really lethargic and disinterested with a spaced-out look about him.  He's not eating much either.  I am so worried and I don't want to give him his meds tomorrow.  My partner says that will affect his blood results if I take him to the vets next week and won't give them a true picture but I'm so worried I can't bear to give him any more.  His coat has also gone greasy looking and a bit spiky.  I've read a few things online, particularly in the US, about 10 mg being too high a dose to start with.  Has anyone else had probs like this?  I think his T4 was only slightly elevated and I hadn't noticed much else other than the weight loss, although I think he was a bit restless and vocal so they could have been symptoms I guess. 

I've been a bit tearful tonight cos he's my baby and it's started to hit home that he is getting on a bit and that he's not going to live forever.  I can't imagine life without him though tbh and I will be devastated if these tablets do him more harm than good.  Any advice wd be much appreciated.  :Luv2:   

Link to CatChat