Author Topic: unexplained aversion to food  (Read 45872 times)

Offline KittyNic

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Sam, Codex, Jacob, Munchkin & Chutney too!
Re: unexplained aversion to food
« Reply #430 on: December 02, 2013, 09:48:32 AM »
Just been reading this thread and it brought several tears to my eyes.

So sorry for your loss of Jonah, but at least you had many happy years together with many memories.

I have a little Maine Coon/BSH cross (see profile pic) called Munchkin who is adorable even if I do say so myself.

However, most of my cats have been strays/rescues and they have such amazing personalities.

Happy kitty searching. You'll know when you find your cat(s).

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #429 on: December 02, 2013, 08:47:03 AM »
Welcome back Jeremy. I hope you had a good time in Australia.

So have you put any feelers out? My friend has a Maine coon who is also polydactyly. He's such a character and far too intelligent for his own good  :evillaugh:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #428 on: December 02, 2013, 07:14:46 AM »
Welcome back Jeremy.  Good luck with your search. 

Sadly, whilst you were away, we lost our beautiful ginger boy, Ross, to a road accident.  We've now been joined by young Moray, a little rescue cat who has more than a touch of Maine Coon about him, and I've got to say, if he's just a sample of the breed, I would thoroughly recommend one - he chatters and chirrups, he's wonderfully affectionate, gentle and independent, and talk about the tail wearing the cat!  ;D

Hope to see a new thread soon, announcing the arrival of your new companion.   :) :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #427 on: November 30, 2013, 13:51:55 PM »
No we dont archive or lock threads sorry but all you have to do is start a new thread in general chat  ;D ;D

Seeing the title of this gives me a gulp cos currently my 3yr old birman hates all food!

Good luck with the kitten hunting  ;D

Forgot to say this thread will die of its own accord if nobody posts on it
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 13:53:09 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #426 on: November 30, 2013, 12:42:13 PM »
Welcome back Jeremy  :welcome: Hope you both had a wonderful time in Aus.  ;D

You can ask one of the moderators to lock down this thread if you like, maybe leave this thread as a tribute to Jonah?

But there's no need to lock it because you could just start a new thread whenever you want to welcome your new cat when he/she arrives, or earlier if you want to use it as a record to remember your search  ;D

Meanwhile there's 24 hours of madness left in our Purrs Charity Auction - click on "All unread topics" at the top  :innocent: and see what's going on.  :)

Sheila

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: jonah
« Reply #425 on: November 30, 2013, 12:34:55 PM »
Hi Tigerlilly. We have just now returned (@05:00 this morning) from a month in Australia. The plan is to start looking for little coonish babies around now but it's early days yet. I will keep you guys informed but perhaps we should start a new thread for a new cat and get this one archived? I don't know how to do this but  I'm sure a helpful admin person could help when thew time comes.

All the best;

Jeremy

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #424 on: November 27, 2013, 08:22:45 AM »
Hi Jeremy.

How's things? Any news?  :-:

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #423 on: September 16, 2013, 09:59:13 AM »
I believe i saw a Maine Coone x on Gumtree,2 years old,but i think you would be attracted to a youngster?

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #422 on: September 16, 2013, 00:17:42 AM »
Thanks everyone for the feedback - I do love this community! My sister had a dog that meant as much as Jonah did but that was a while ago. She is busy travelling around doing set design now and has a variety of small dogs and the odd cat but I think she doesn't want to be... so emotionally dependant on an animal friend again. It was a tough time for her.
I have always had cats but my mother has not really appreciated them a lot of times. We had one cat who seemed to go out of her way to find irreplaceable stuff from my mother's early life and pee on it. That was a long time ago but it wasn't until I left home and had a cat of my own that I understood what true feline companionship was about.
The cats I had as a child in the 70s came in in the morning, screeched until fed, slept after and vanished outside until the next morning.
Then I met my wife, Noons (short for Magnoon, Arabic for bonkers) the cat and found what a real relationship with felix domesticus was about. He went head to head with a police car and lost. Then came Jonah who essentially chose me and curled up as a kitten behind my head when I had a bath - on the soap bit of the bathtub - just so he could be near to me and my heart was lost.
So, anyway, I don't think my mother and a cat are well suited based on history. Jonah tended to stay away from her during visits though he liked my dad; he jumped onto his tummy at table once and sat happily on his shoulders. Strictly forbidden of course. But he'd never go near my mother and I can't feel comfy about her acquiring a cat. You understand why?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 00:35:08 AM by jrichemont, Reason: Original post in wrong browser »

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #421 on: September 15, 2013, 15:46:23 PM »
When the time is right you will get your baby I have an NFC here Master Svartleheim Starlight Express or Starrykins and he is nearly 6 and just like a 9kg kitten he has access rights to the outside world as do my other pedigrees my 2 ragdolls and my Bengal but as we live in a very rural isolated area there are no problems - they are also all in at night as well

Fortunately living with the ferals means mine are very wary of strangers outside and run for home if they are unsure makes my life a lot easier with me and OH they are all fine on the outside
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #420 on: September 15, 2013, 15:27:28 PM »

As promised earlier:   :evillaugh:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #419 on: September 15, 2013, 14:30:38 PM »
I'm guessing your sister isn't a cat person, Jeremy? Her remarks are niave in the least. Your mother is able to make her own decisions about companionship, yes? Then that's all you need to know.   :agreed:

Jonah was a one-off, the special one. You may never see his like again, nor would you seek to replace him, ever.  :hug: Your choice of friend will rely entirely on fortune and karma, Jeremy. You are a spiritual being and will be drawn to your new companion. Have faith, spend time, be yourself, your furry friend will present himself to you, either with our without the medium of a Rescue.  ;D

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #418 on: September 15, 2013, 11:23:51 AM »
Hi Jeremy,nice to hear from you again.I think that it's best to be honest about things too,i honestly cannot see that a kitten would be the answer to your mother's problem.Was there anything that she used to like doing,but perhaps never had the time when younger? painting,making things,i'm an oap and find that the main reason for people just sitting around(and getting overweight) is because we do need a purpose.Good luck in finding your new cat.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #417 on: September 15, 2013, 09:05:21 AM »
Whilst purrhaps I may stand accused of being ageist  :innocent: a kitten and an 80 year old is likely to spell trouble even with the most attentive of cat friendly ladies  :scared:  Kittens are a real handful.  Worth the trouble of course especially if you are not house proud  :evillaugh:

Do I take it that your sister hasn't shared her life with a cat and neither has your mom?   Whilst adult cats generally need far less attention, for a successful relationship, they certainly still need love and care.

I love NFCs and Maine Coons  :Luv2: but am unlikely to ever share our home with one as our cats roam free which is certainly not without it's heart aches.  We now share our home with 7 cats, all rescue and all stunningly beautiful with wholly different personalities. 

If you ever wanted to look into offering your home to a rescue cat, bear in mind that it is not unusual for a cat to be rescued when pregnant and her kittens will not therefore have experienced the great outdoors. 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #416 on: September 15, 2013, 07:13:33 AM »
Of course you do, Jeremy.   :hug:  And it's great that soon you will have cat companionship in your lives again - be assured that Jonah would not begrudge that.   :hug:

As to your sister's idea, whilst I can see her thought process, I agree that it may not be wise on a number of levels, and it's probably an idea best left alone.  You're far from being a bad son - it seems to me you have a common sense head on.   

I bet you have all sorts of plans for Christmas.  :Luv:  Am on a kindle just now but later I'll post a picture of the boys' first Christmas from last year - you have so much to look forward to.   :)

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #415 on: September 15, 2013, 02:24:55 AM »
On a lighter note it's only a few months till I get a new fluffsome friend. Maine Coon or Wedgie? Undecided as yet but my heart is aching for a new small person in my life. He'll be here for Christmas and little tasty things that happen to cats at that time.
With Jonah he had his first pub lunch the day we got him:the car broke (I don't drive) and we stayed at the hotel for lunch.
Jonah ate all the fat from the lovely lamb cutlets and passed out in a heap. Then we had a 11hour journey back to London and a stop in some service station. He climbed onto the back seat and watched the other people through the window. No hint of distress at being in strange people's company in a car, away from his family. When we got back on the road he came and sat on my lap, looked out of the window and purred.
We'd known eachother 20 hours at that point.
I miss him so much.

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #414 on: September 15, 2013, 02:05:23 AM »
Hi folks.  Today was my father's birthday and me, my wife and sister went to visit the gardens of the crematorium he was laid to rest in. Very lovely they were, too; big willow trees, fish in a pond and stuff. My sister talked to me as  we walked about and asked about when we'd get our new kitten.
So far so meh.
Then she said, why not get two and give one to our 80 year old, bereaved mother?
People, the idea filled me with horror. My mother may need something to give her life meaning but I cannot countenance the idea of a cat. She is not able to see life from a cats perspective - or indeed anyone's but her own. You'll all think I value a cat over my mother and that's really bad but I can't stand the idea of some poor beast being terrified by my mother for being, well, just, +wrong+
Tell me I'm a bad son but I'll not be a party to her getting a cat. I can't bear to think of it.
I feel really bad but. ..

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #413 on: September 07, 2013, 11:36:16 AM »
just a thought - when I lost my beloved Tum Tum, my only companion for more than 14 years, I knew I couldn't stay catless for long - but I found it easier to replace her with a male, so she would still be my girl, even when I had a 'my boy'

Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #412 on: September 07, 2013, 00:34:30 AM »
Fantastic! Little My was one of my favourite characters, too.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #411 on: September 04, 2013, 11:01:08 AM »
Yes you are right Jeremy, I'm a Moomin fan.  :) 

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #410 on: September 04, 2013, 10:53:46 AM »
It's lovely to hear from you again Jeremy,i think he was just checking you out. :hug:

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #409 on: September 03, 2013, 19:57:17 PM »
Jeremy, I've just finished reading 'A street cat named Bob' and some of the things Bob's owner James said about his relationship with Bob and the way they were able to communicate reminded me of the way you used to talk about Jonah  :) Your new addition to the family will have big shoes to fill so whatever sort of cat you decide to go for I know it will be the one that feels right for you.  :) :)

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Dotty and Blue. My other lovelies Dixie,Jasper & Rosie R.I.P
« Reply #408 on: September 03, 2013, 17:05:43 PM »
Both of my babies are indoor cats and have been outside, not all the time only when supervised and only in the garden and are quite content with watching the birdies and anything else that moves from the windows but I have had them from kittens so they have grown up knowing that outdoors is not somewhere they get to go on a regular basis.

If you are worried about no one being at home during the day perhaps 2 would be good......Twice the mischief....double the fun..... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I am sure you will receive a sign when the time is right for you......It's clear that you had a very special bond with Jonah which I hope you will feel again one day soon..... :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #407 on: September 03, 2013, 15:32:02 PM »

Jeremy, I think all of us would say, whatever makes you happy and makes your house a home in terms of a cat companion, that's what you go for.   :hug: :hug:

Meanwhile, surrogate Tiger hugs are so much better than nothing.  I guess Jonah asked him to pop along, check you both out, make sure you're just about ready, for when you get back from Oz.  ;) 

I loved the Moomin books too.   :)

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #406 on: September 03, 2013, 15:23:56 PM »
Definitely not! And Mymblesdaughter, I do hope that nick is Moomin related; I loved those books as a kid. As for Tiger... he's welcome to come for a visit and loves having his tummy stroked in the street but he's a wanted cat. His coat is in beautiful shape, he is certainly not short of nice food to eat (he's not overweight but nicely filled) and has a lovely black velvet collar.

As for the rescue cat; it is worth considering of course and is a kind thing to do. It's just we had such a wonderful companion with Jonah who came to us straight from the breeder it's hard to consider taking a risk with other methods. It would be a different story if we lived in a house with a garden and other animals and people around during the day but we live in a 3rd floor flat with no garden (aside from a terrace) and we are out all day. Our cat needs to be a happy, well adjusted beastie to be content in that situation. I will still think about it though...

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #405 on: September 03, 2013, 14:53:57 PM »
Lovely story Jeremy  :Luv: :Luv: Thanks for sharing  :hug: :hug: And I'm glad to hear you wouldn't forget about us  :) :)

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #404 on: September 03, 2013, 14:38:27 PM »
It sounds as if Tiger-face got wind of your intentions and was doing a quick 'rehoming' visit!  ;D

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
« Reply #403 on: September 03, 2013, 12:02:07 PM »
Here, here mumblesdaughter....Both of mine are from the RSPCA and I am eyeing up another little beauty if I can persuade my hubby that one more mouth to feed is no big deal.......I highly recommend a rescue cat as they deserve another chance at getting a wonderful life with someone who loves and cares for them deeply..... :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #402 on: September 03, 2013, 11:25:18 AM »
Can I put a word in for getting a cat from a shelter, or an unwanted cat. There are so many at the moment needing homes, there are pedigrees in the shelters. Maybe just pop along to one for a look and you will see all the beautiful cats they have. Don't go till you're ready though or you'll end up bringing one home.  :hug:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:07:38 PM by Mymblesdaughter »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #401 on: September 03, 2013, 06:58:55 AM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:   What a delightful story, Jeremy.  Cats instinctively know who will make them welcome as Dotty's mentioned.

It's really how we came to have our second - he was great pals with Ross as a kiteen, but whereas we wouldnt let Ross out after dark come last Autumn, Dickie - at less than 6 months - was out most nights.  When the weather became freezing cold, raining and snowy he would batter at our locked cat flap to be in.  We'd have him tapping from the outside, and Ross tapping from the inside, and we'd end up getting up in the middle of the night to bring him in.  Sometimes he even had frost on his coat.  We became expert at "sensing" when he was there - we'd clamber out of bed, and sure enough, he'd be in the front garden, staring up at our window willing us to wake up and let him in.   His owners didn't have/wouldn't get a cat flap, and if he wasn't in when they went to bed, that was it.   They did love him, but they didnt seem to appreciate the hazards of such a young cat being out in those conditions.

Eventually, long story short, he moved in withhus from choice.    We used to return him home, but he hated it, and would know instinctively when we went to take him home.  He began to try and hide.  :doh:

Sounds like Tiger wanted to check you both out.  :Luv:

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
« Reply #400 on: September 03, 2013, 06:41:54 AM »
Oooooo....Sounds like you are ready to have another furbaby  ;D....It's amazing how cats sense who would love them who would not.....We have a young ginger tom (GT, we call him) who keeps coming around from time to time. Last week he was doing his James Bond thing on our conservatory roof eventually my hubby coaxed him down and gave him a stiff talking too about the dangers of roofs which GT's response was to roll over and chatter for a cuddle...Little monkey..... :Luv:

You will find that a new little lovely will find you without you even looking...... :hug: :hug:

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #399 on: September 03, 2013, 00:32:13 AM »
As promised, gentle reader, the bathtime feline frolic.  My wife has befriended a local moggie - a tiger striped minicat (all cats look mini after Jonah). He's not a stray or unloved or anything, well padded with a clean collar. He's simply friendly. She strokes his tummy on the way to the bus stop.
Anyway we were eating dinner last week when I heard a bang. The roof terrace door was open as usual and the polystyrene things we kept from some packaging to help keep the heat out had fallen in the breeze so I thought no more of it.
20 minutes later a tiger stripped face was peering at me from under the kitchen cabinets. Our flat is open plan so everything is visible from everywhere. Except bedrooms and bathrooms of course; they're on the next level.
My wife's little friend had decided to pay us a visit - on the third floor, through a gate and up the stairwell. He was fine when we spotted him, very easy with people, being picked up etc. He went downstairs and I had to go after him because there's lots of hidey holes down there and HE'S NOT OUR Cat... But, boy, did we come close to an adoption! I could just pick him up with no fuss at all. He's hardly met me; I walk a different way to work.
My wife has kept the doors open since in case he cares for a revisit but thus far it's a one off.

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #398 on: September 02, 2013, 20:26:22 PM »
Definitely not! I'm very fond of you all. You helped me through a very hard time and I don't forget friends. I have simply been working and not doing anything cat related to post. Though something fun and feline did happen last night...  But you'll have to wait until my (sadly solo)  bathtime  for the story as I'm late leaving for home now & must dash.  Laters!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 20:28:26 PM by jrichemont »

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #397 on: September 02, 2013, 20:18:18 PM »
Ooo, a Norwegian Forest cat.  ;D They certainly are striking looking cats.  :)
I'll look forward to seeing what you plump for in the end  :)

I'm glad to see you still look in here. I did wonder if my post would go unanswered  :hug: :hug:
Enjoy your month in Oz.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 20:18:39 PM by Tigerlily (Allison) »

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #396 on: September 02, 2013, 07:16:36 AM »

Great to hear from yu again Jeremy - had been wondering how you were getting along. 

Sounds like you're already turning towards your new (as yet unknown) cat companion, and may Jonah guide your hand.  :)

Hope you have a great time during your trip to Australia. 

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #395 on: September 01, 2013, 23:02:23 PM »
Hi Tigerlilly; I am adjusting to a post cat life. I'm hoping to spend a month in Oz come October and then think about a new fluffy friend. Right now I'm considering a Norwegian forest cat - like a Coon but more so?
I dunno. I know coons but then Jonah was much more than the sum of his furry parts. I  expect to have a new small friend before Christmas anyway.
Lovely to hear from you and I will absolutely post when the new boy arrives!
Jeremy

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #394 on: September 01, 2013, 19:37:45 PM »
No news from you for a while Jeremy. How are you doing?

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #393 on: June 07, 2013, 18:13:32 PM »
Every cat is different and all my 6 have been, They all have their special little ways and will become your friend in their way.

Sometimes it takes time like Jonah or my Sasa and Lupin is also taking his time but has his own way of looking at the world and it changes all the time.

Sadly I dont have a lapcat any more, Misa is huge and has never been that way inclined but has just started sleeping on my bed again and this is the first time since I lost Napoleon two years ago. He is snuggling up to me and putting his face on mine.....................just when the weather has gone warmer lol.

I am sure any new friend you have will grow with you  :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #392 on: June 07, 2013, 11:39:20 AM »
 :)   I like that though - it shows how your relationship with Jonah progressed over the years.  It was built on love and trust which grew between you. 

And of course you'll take out the photographs - and the memories that go with them - and you'll remember.  It's always painful initially, but again, given time, it does get easier because the memories make you smile, laugh, grimace, and it's all part of the wonderful friendship you fostered and nurtured.

I remember when Paddy was a youngster - he was such a loving and affectionate cat.  Then when we acquired Flynn, Paddy withdrew - didnt like the competition, and he became much more reserved.   He was always happier as an only cat.  In his senior years, particularly when his health began to let him down, he became much more reliant on us, and his affectionate nature returned by the bucketload.  When he was left deaf after his stroke at the age of 15, I would pick him up, put my throat against the back of his neck and sing silly songs to him.  he would begin to purr hugely - he could feel the vibrations and they reassured him.  It became our way of communicating verbally when normal methods failed us.

I still remember the day he came up, peered at me, promptly threw up into my handbag and then rubbed round my legs with his head.  (probably trying to dislodge a particularly troublesome piece of vomit  :evillaugh:).  We loved our little man, and still do, even though he's long gone to us now.   I love the fact that I find myself saying to Ross - Paddy would be so proud of you.......

You'll end up saying it one way or another to any new little snidge you take on - "Jonah would be so proud of you...."  (or maybe:  "Jonah would be shocked"  ;) :)   Either way, the interaction will make your heart glad again.    :Luv:

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #391 on: June 07, 2013, 11:24:49 AM »
Hi folks. My missive of last night was caused by us having two friends from Australia to dinner. She is a mad animal lady - a house full of rescue cats and dogs in Melbourne - and loves to talk about them. So, inevitably, talk turns to Jonah and looking at pictures of him (I have one or two) which reminds me of how special he was as I recount the time he chased the fox and got stuck on a building site and howled his head off from a concrete block two storeys up until rescued, the walks he took with me, the position on the sofa he sat from 6pm every night from where he could see the lift doors open and me come out when I came home from work, him following me in the snow by jumping into my footprints so he didn't sink into a snowdrift; the happy memories are not far away.

Of course, a new cat is a new start and with luck I will find someone who will grow to be as much of a friend as Jonah was. Of course I need to remember that it took time for Jonah to become like that; he always loved me but he would never sit on my lap when he was young (I had to wait 6 years for that), he wouldn't follow me along on walks either - he much preferred the game of "hunt the cat under the parked cars at 2am" - and all sorts of other bad stuff.

Link to CatChat