Author Topic: Hello and help please!!!  (Read 2073 times)

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
Re: Hello and help please!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 15:30:41 PM »
Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear that Whitely is ill. To me it sounds like the infection or some other issue has caused Whitely's scent to change and has made Lily unable to recognise it as her friend anymore. This may be irreversible or may return to normal after the infection is gone.
I think I would be inclined to keep them apart until Whitely is recovered and stronger and try using the difuser as suggested. I know when my old lady was on Fortecor for kidney failure our boy was not as friendly towards her as he used to be and would sometimes have a go.
I hope it works out for you in the long run x
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 13:31:09 PM »
Hi and welcome to Purrs - how are things now between Whitey and Lily?

Another thing to consider might be trying to go back to basics and re-introduce them by secnt swapping, rubbing a cloth on one and transfering it to the other.

I agree with that.  Unfortunately when the relationship between cats breaks down, it isn't always easy to restore harmony and you sometimes have to treat them as 2 cats who have never met and re-introduce them to each other.  Iirc, felifriend is similar to feliway but something you can rub into a cat's fur to help other cats accept them?  I seem to recall using that when I got Mosi.  Might be worth a try.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 01:50:39 AM »
Sorry I cant advise except with Feliway defuser as has been suggested.

I dont know if rubbing a damp cloth over Lily and then rubbing it on Lily will help by transferring Lilys scent to Whitey.

This is such a sad thing to heer and hope you only let them meet under supervision until Lily becomes happy with Whitey again.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 00:14:41 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, sorry it's under such worrying circumstances  :hug:

You said you are using Feliway spray, it might be worth trying a Feliway plug in diffuser (you can get them much cheaper online) - I have had great success using a plug in as opposed to the spray.

Another thing to consider might be trying to go back to basics and re-introduce them by secnt swapping, rubbing a cloth on one and transfering it to the other.

:luck: with it and hope they both settle down soon  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 18:44:15 PM »
I'm afraid I've no advice but it must be so awful for you, I hope someone comes along soon who can advise

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 15:56:50 PM »
I'm going to move this thread to the health section hopefully others will see it and respond.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 15:55:22 PM »
 :welcome: :welcome:

OMG I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles.  I have no experience of these problems but maybe the following links may be of help:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,14325.0.html

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4973.0.html
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline mrsdallas

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Whitey and Lily
Hello and help please!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 12:52:38 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm Fiona and I live in Scotland with Whitey aged 17, CRF and Lily aged 12, perfectly healthy. Whitey and Lily have lived together for 11 years and usually get along great - sleep cuddled up together, clean each other - the usual. Last weekend however Whitey was poorly with a bladder infection. We noticed this as she was in and out of the litter box then started leaving spots of urine on sofa, throws, pillow - wherever she sat, poor wee toots. At this time, Lily started to show very aggressive behaviour towards Whitey, attacking her and really going in for the kill. Separated them and got Whitey to vet for antibiotic jab, pills etc. Also got Feliway spray and have cleaned everywhere Whitey had an accident. Vet thought Lily may have interpreted Whitey's spotting as territorial marking. A week on and Lily still trying to kill Whitey. Took Lily for check up to make sure nothing wrong and she's in perfect health. My own vet agreed could be territorial issues but added that sometimes cats will detect illness and try to finish the other cat off:(  it's breaking my heart. Have to separate them if we're not in and only let them together under supervision. I was out last night, my husband nipped to the bathroom and in that short time poor Whitey has a large tear in her ear. I am so upset by this. I love my cats but can't have Whitey's twilight years made so stressful. Has anyone experienced this sort of thing? I'd be very grateful for any advice or suggestions. Many thanks. X

Link to CatChat