Author Topic: What do I need?  (Read 6116 times)

Offline kcsunshine

• Adult Cat
Re: What do I need?
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2010, 20:38:51 PM »
:Luv: She is gorgeous.

I can recommend the Pets at Home 'Willow' corrugated cardboard scratch boxes (£5 in store £6 online): they last months of daily use if you flip the inner part over and can be recycled. Some cats apparently don't like things that move about, Noah stands on one end and scratches on the other so it is very stable. Good add on to a scratching post IMO if budget is tight but you need a scratcher in two rooms.

Ooh - thanks for that tip - our other cat even used the scratcher today )having never used one before) when I moved it and her out of her area to the shared playroom - introduction of one to the other went REALLY well. Couldn't have been better.  ;D :Luv:

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2010, 12:56:12 PM »
 :Luv:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2010, 23:49:38 PM »
 :Luv: She is gorgeous.

I can recommend the Pets at Home 'Willow' corrugated cardboard scratch boxes (£5 in store £6 online): they last months of daily use if you flip the inner part over and can be recycled. Some cats apparently don't like things that move about, Noah stands on one end and scratches on the other so it is very stable. Good add on to a scratching post IMO if budget is tight but you need a scratcher in two rooms.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2010, 22:21:50 PM »
They know you know  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline kcsunshine

• Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2010, 22:19:41 PM »
She rocks - she's so weeny and so pretty and soooooo cuddly. I can't believe how much she's showing us she likes us already.  :shocked:
 :catlove: :catlove:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2010, 22:18:07 PM »
Looking very comfy and gorgeous  :Luv2: :Luv2: :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline kcsunshine

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2010, 20:52:10 PM »
The scratching post has already been used ... the catnip I had in was also a hit. In fact, she's a darling and has chosen a box of beer to sit on as it raises her a little off the floor - I've put her blanket on it to make it a little more homely.
Photos on the Welcome to newbies under Ariel is home.
She's so tiny - homer thinks nearer one than two years old. Utter babe.

Photos recopied from Welcome cos I'm just that pathetic! LOVE her to bits. :catlove2:

do let me know if you can't see them and I'll try again ...

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 09:43:27 AM »
I think Catac  organic catnip sacks are essential. They are the one thing the cats go back to all the time and are indestructible. Alice has a collection on the floor and when she isn't playing with them or licking them, she loves lying on top of them  :Crazy: - that a paper balls as previously posted. All the toys are redundant, including panic mouse etc. I always add a catnip sack to my food orders.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline kcsunshine

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2010, 22:28:13 PM »
I can at least reveal the scratching post ... http://www.gorpets.co.uk/products/21.htm
Decided to get cheap in meantime and if she uses it lots, will invest in a more tree like structure ... :wow:

Offline kcsunshine

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2010, 19:12:07 PM »
 :) :innocent: :Crazy: :Luv: :wow: ;) ;D
Most certainly.  Will take lots of photos!
Just been nesting, sorting out the corridor/utility room that will be hers for the next few weeks! :briggin: I'm not sure i cleaned this hard before I had human babies!  :evillaugh:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2010, 18:34:16 PM »
 :yayyy: :yayyy:  We need photos now  :Luv2: :pic:

Mary

Offline kcsunshine

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2010, 14:01:36 PM »
Scratcher bought: pink heart shaped base and substantial sisal post with a dangly pom pom off a string for a mere tenner at a garden centre pet shop this morning. My 5yo daughter chose wisely and pinkily!!

Same daughter desparately excited about getting Ariel tomorrow. Son not so much so as he worries our fat cat Simba will not get loved so much!!!

Re fleece, yes, Simba has appropriated my daughter's baby one which takes up a corner of the sofa. Not allowed upstsirs sadly as husband and daughter get itchy sore eyes and doc told us to avoid it.

Until tomorrow!
 :Luv:

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2010, 13:26:00 PM »
Most cats like fishing rod style toys - eg da bird but a piece of string will do just as well (just don't leave string lying around as very dangerous if swallowed).  A scratch post is a must unless you go for the shredded sofa look, plus I would get a catnip mouse or something like that.  Cardboard boxes make great toys, esp if you seal them up then cut holes in the side.  scrunched up foil makes a great ball too (but like string, be careful with foil as some cats - Mosi included - like to eat it  :Crazy:).

re beds - I have never bothered as mine prefer the sofa or my bed.  I do find fleeces good though as you can put them wherever they like to sleep, they are fairly cheap and wash easily.

Offline kcsunshine

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2010, 00:03:30 AM »
Too right, Mary - and she's very much a people cat, like our boy who just decided to sit on my work and computer to get some love!  :naughty: :shocked:
So I;m not going over board on toys, just want a good scratcher  ;D

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2010, 23:54:12 PM »
Don't think we ever win where toys, scratchers, beds and food are concerned - they just do as they please and they are all different.
You can buy a toy for £5 and they might not play with it, but screw a piece of paper up and they will play with it for hours  :rofl:

One thing you can guarantee that we can all give and that they all like is ............ our love and attention.  :Luv2: :hug:

Mary

Offline kcsunshine

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2010, 21:57:24 PM »
Yes, a few people have said that to me - Simba just never bothered with a scratcher though - and maybe I just got the wrong sort for him - a sloped round sunflower thing - so I don't want to spend £45 on something that will just collect dust ... maybe I should just get a £15 standard one from pets at home or garden centre and if she uses it, get a bigger one later ... but then that's just buying twice ... can't win really.  :(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 20:32:39 PM »
My cats go out but still use their trees several times a day so dont think of it as a temp item, make it useable by putting in a good location and a focus of play

Offline kcsunshine

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 19:56:14 PM »
Typically I've been ditherIng, and having looked round a few real pet shops to get an idea of quality and height etc, I've not actually bought anything yet. Then I found this one today:
 http://www.petplanet.co.uk/category.asp?dept_id=41
which has some lovely scratchers and trees in the sale. Aaaarrrgggh! How do I begin to know what she'll like/use/need for the 4-6 weeks we need to keep her inside??? And which will she ever use again once she joins Simba in and out of the catflap?? He never took to the one we got for him, since broken by the kids, so what to do? :Crazy: 

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 23:03:28 PM »
Crikey - see what you mean re Dabners - loads of choice - perhaps too much for an indecisive girly like me.
http://www.dabners.co.uk/product-5097-trixie-altea-cat-post-dark-grey.html
for eg. still looking though ...  :-:

Iv got one of those aswell  :innocent: i love buying cat trees

The zooplus one isnt much different in size to the one on dabners so go for the cheaper one as its nearer your preferred price then you can get the mat aswell  :evillaugh:

Offline kcsunshine

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 21:18:34 PM »
Now I know I;m becoming a tree bore, but this was the exact one I caught her use once when visiting at battersea:
http://www.dabners.co.uk/product-6057-trixie-scratching-wave-’olite’-43-cm-anthracite.html
so I'm wondering whether this does a good job or whether to make do with the cheaper wave I listed below:
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/kitten_scratching_posts/95863
Oh me.

Offline kcsunshine

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 21:10:39 PM »
And Simba likes scratching our carpet - this one could be excellent for him:
http://www.dabners.co.uk/product-3519-trixie-cat-scratching-mat-with-plush-border-55x35cm.html
 :shy:
dangerous retail therapy moment coming up I feel ...

Offline kcsunshine

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 21:09:12 PM »
Crikey - see what you mean re Dabners - loads of choice - perhaps too much for an indecisive girly like me.
http://www.dabners.co.uk/product-5097-trixie-altea-cat-post-dark-grey.html
for eg. still looking though ...  :-:

Offline kcsunshine

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 20:57:20 PM »
Yes, both the models I was looking at. The single wave at least looks compact enough not to take up loads of room long term - prepared to compromise (well prob my more anal busband more than me - I find chaos easier to live with ) short term, but don't really want a whole tree taking up a corner of the house!
She is a dainty girl, will try to upload more photos of her.
Cardboard boxes could be fun as toys too - it's the scratching that I know I'll need to address though, which I guess they don't offer.
My daughter was slightly shocked to see her shorn and lampshaded on Saturday, but she still wanted to go and see her today. I asked if she minded seeing her like that - "Well, yes, but I still love her." AWWWWWW!  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv2: :hug:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 20:27:40 PM »
Was just looking at the wave scratch posts as I did spot her using one once when we visited her. Anyone rate them in the home? :briggin:

if you mean like this
http://www.netpetshop.co.uk/p-21968-trixie-inca-sisal-cat-scratching-post-wave-39cm.aspx?CAWELAID=437270610

i have one (and a 5ft cat tree  ;D ) and its regularly used, i thought lucifer would go off it when i got the massive one but he still uses it. he likes standing on the top and scratching up the wave  :-: hes not a big built cat but hes very long if that makes sense, im also sure i paid less for mine so worth doing abit of digging

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 20:20:49 PM »
It doesnt look too tiny, shes quite petite if i remember rightly? Iv stolen 2 of the customer pics and that shows an adult cat on it  ;D

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/small/37574 iv this one in my cat pen and its reasonable for scratching

and this is one of my indoor treeshttp://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/small/33681 its plain but functional, they all love it as can stretch up really high and it doesnt tip

Theres a site called dabners or something like that, they have ranges instock other than trixie

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 20:16:37 PM »
Remember Ruth making a splendid toy for Lexy a few years ago, it was made from used kitchen roll centres cut and glued together for Lexy to finf the food.

Offline kcsunshine

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 20:01:38 PM »
Several cardboard boxes joined together with a few holes in the sides, good for sleeping hiding and playing  ;D and a nice yeowww catnip toy from purrs shop  ;)
Oh then something for your other chappy, a kitty kopter and some crinkle balls to share  :naughty:
 - great ideas! don't know what a kitty copter is ... have moved Simba into sitting room, in that his food and water is now in there ready. He's still allowed into the kitchen for now, seems harsh to shut him out when I've only just moved his food. And he doens't use his litter tray any more. Was thinking of taking it up, washing it out and getting it ready for Ariel - she likes different litter (wood pellets) so will get some of those in. Simba won't have access to that once she's here, until they meet, and convene! The lady at Battersea said she'd keep them apart for a week, not letting them see each other just scent transferring. May be hard to keep them from seeing each other though as the doors have glass panels.

Link to the zooplus tree:
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/small/95863
looks like it may be kitten rather than cat sized, which is a shame. Don't really want to spend more than £30 (ideally only about £15) as she will doubtless become an outdoor/indoor cat like Simples, in due course.  8)

Off to look up a kitty copter ... just bought a silly little bright pink squishy pyramid/ball (hand sized small) with feathers attached, chosen by my daughter. Catnip at the ready ...  :wow:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 19:52:13 PM »
Several cardboard boxes joined together with a few holes in the sides, good for sleeping hiding and playing  ;D and a nice yeowww catnip toy from purrs shop  ;)
Oh then something for your other chappy, a kitty kopter and some crinkle balls to share  :naughty:

Can you link to the zooplus tree, some of them are more kitten sized in height so something to check on  ;)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 13:35:49 PM »
Yes definately a nice place that she can hide  ;D

Offline kcsunshine

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 10:56:36 AM »
There's a reasonable one for about £30 on zooplus with a platform above a wave scratcher. Or there's a wave alone for about £19 on amazon. Both have merits! Prob need to give her somewhere to hide in first few days too!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 08:47:05 AM »
cat tree has been my best purchase ever

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 07:44:56 AM »
I bought 1 value post from PAH, then another when I saw that they used it. Also a smallish cat tree for them which is very well used, so a bigger one needed soon. Some toys that she can play with alone and some that you can play with her.
I bought a lovely squashy blue bed that only started getting used about 3 months after we bought them home, the sofas are still bed of choice, well after the drawers under our bed! :rofl:

Good luck.
Nicky

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 23:02:44 PM »
I would get her a soft mouse that she can cuddle  ;D

Sorry dont know about those scratcg post you mentioned.

Offline kcsunshine

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 22:59:57 PM »
Was just looking at the wave scratch posts as I did spot her using one once when we visited her. Anyone rate them in the home? :briggin:

Offline kcsunshine

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 22:59:13 PM »
and a live one preferably  :evillaugh:

We have those anyway - well we did until Simba put paid to them!! Tasty chaffinch bird nest outside, but she won't be going there yet. She can watch them through the window feeder (dont' worry twitchers, she can't get through the glass to them!)  :evillaugh:

Offline kcsunshine

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 22:58:04 PM »
LOL - a real mouse or a sisal one?!  :evillaugh:

Offline Saska

• Adult Cat
  • Millie
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 22:57:46 PM »
and a live one preferably  :evillaugh:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 22:54:35 PM »
Something to scratch and I would get her a nice mouse any way  ;D

Offline kcsunshine

• Adult Cat
What do I need?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 22:49:00 PM »
Bringing our girl home from Battersea next weekend after spay stitches are removed etc. What do I need to get for her immediately? Rehomer suggested taking top off carrier at first as a bed until we know what she favours (our current boy likes a blanket on the sofa best, in spite of a charming basket!) I guess a litter tray and a dish for wet and dry food and water? They say she likes company better than toys ...  :Luv2:

Link to CatChat