Author Topic: Returning to previous home  (Read 1947 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: Returning to previous home
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 22:34:23 PM »
I do so hope he stays away - sorry you're having lots of trouble.

Mary  :hug:
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline sillyrabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 22:21:12 PM »
Hi

Yeah unfortunately we are frightened of the neighbor getting hold of him, nasty threats were made mostly against our cats and to be honest I think the man is unbalanced

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 21:42:44 PM »
Sounds like you've found a fantastic home for him and hope he stays there  - are you frightened your neighbours might do somethign to the cat if it comes back to you, or am I reading too much into the trouble with the neighbours?
Welcome to Purrs by the way. :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 21:38:26 PM »
So pleased its a good home and he loved them when he was picked up  ;D

Hope he will not try it again but just shows how clever cats are  ;D

Offline sillyrabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 21:09:50 PM »
Thank you hun. Funnily enough he completely ignored us all when he returned, but was pleased and made a fuss for being cuddled when his new owner came to collect him! He is definitely being very well looked after, their cats are spoilt for love and attention you could just tell they are great owners and they have fallen in love with him. They weren't shut out of the house for very long and it was just one of those things, just bad timing at when he tried to get back in. They have the flap and windows open for them to get in and out, it looks like the window he went for had been pushed shut and he must have just wondered straight off. I would imagine they will be careful with that in future

We originally thought it was a fair distance but considering he probably cutting straight across fields rather than taking the roads is probably about a half hour walk, thanks for giving me an idea of how long he will need to stay in x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 20:02:13 PM »
How far are you away from his new home cos this will have a bearing on it?

Usually a max of 4 to 6 weeks at new home before he is let out but the closer you are the longer it will be, especially now he has found his way back.

The new owners must be really careful not to lock him out and he really needs a cat flap to get back in once he has relearned that its his new home...........he obviously thought he had been deserted and came back home , poor chap. He  must have loved you  very much :hug:

They will have to start again by keeping him indoors but do hope that this nice new home for him will look after him well as he has obviously been used to.

Neighbours are a pain,,,,,,,,,,sigh

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 19:55:59 PM »
mov ing this to general cat chat cos think it may get more views  :hug:

Offline sillyrabbit

• Adult Cat
Returning to previous home
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 18:54:59 PM »
Hi, sorry I am not sure if this is in the right place. I wasn't sure where to put it

Basically we had some trouble with a neighbor, my mum ended up rehoming her cat because he wasn't adjusting to being indoors and she felt it wasn't fair on him. I won't go into the whole story because its long! But threats were made against us and our pets as a result meaning my rabbits are now living inside and the cats couldn't go out anymore. Just want to add the neighbor was in the wrong, neither of our cats were actually outside at the time of the incident and it has carried on happening even though the cat he apparently saw doing it isn't here anymore and the other hasn't left the house since that day

We found him the best home you could possibly imagine, the house is surrounded by fields all owned by his new owners, they are a retired couple so able to spend a lot of time with him, they are experienced cat owners, he gets on well with their other cats and pretty much settled in very well. He has been there since mid Feb and they have had no problems with him returning to their house at night up until now, he has appeared on our doorstep twice now this week. None of us have any experience with this and would be very grateful for any advice. I am wondering what is the recommended amount of time to keep him in at his new home for now? Now he knows his way back here is he likely to just keep coming back no matter how long they keep him in for? Is there anything else we can do in this time to put him off coming back or encourage him to stay there? 

Our main worry is that we are out all day at work, and it doesn't look as if our neighbors are. We are concerned that they will spot him on our doorstep or going into our garden if nobody is here. His new owners want to give this a go and we are willing to try anything and for as long as it takes. We have seen him in his new home after he had like a trial period there, when we went to transfer his insurance and stuff and there is no doubt that he is totally happy there. We aren't going to find another home for him as good as this one   

It looks like the first time he headed back this way was after he was shut out of their house by accident, the other cats were waiting to be let back in but he turned up here a couple of hours later 

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 18:57:22 PM by sillyrabbit »

Link to CatChat