Author Topic: Renalzin  (Read 15656 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Renalzin
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2010, 11:36:31 AM »
I can say the chicken RC is the least hated but that's as far as it goes  :tired: :evillaugh:

I am working on another compromise now which also works out a lot cheaper and gets eaten. I had forgotten that way back, clapton enjoyed some dry mixed in wet food (the way a lot of dogs are fed?  :evillaugh: ) I have been adding water and binders to senior food and mixing in a small handful of specifics dry renal. I don't like the idea of feeding dry to a CRF cat but Clapton drinks plenty + the water added helps a lot.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline BTC

• Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2010, 11:11:25 AM »

If you have Royal Canin and Hills then they also do wet renal versions, which you would not need to add Renalzin to.

:welcome:

The problem is, they are expensive and unpalatable. I have tried so many different renal wet foods and none of them get eaten. I had 12 tins of Eunakaba renal (sp) and 16 trays of Speficics renal delivered this week. Clapton refused to touch the specifics and he had 1/2 a tin of Eunakaba but has since refused to eat any more. That is over £40 down the drain. I will keep tring to get him to eat it but 90%+ will end up in the bin. It is really frustrating - however, he lapped up a pouch of Whiskas chicken with binders in. Not the perfect diet but he enjoys it and it is cheap  :evillaugh:

Billy actually enjoys the RC stuff (especially the Beef and Tuna, not so much the Chicken).  Also, he'll sometimes have a tray or two of the Specific stuff.
I tend to switch the RC around with Felix Senior mixed with Renalzin.  At least that way he gets lots of choice.  FeliX Senior is what I use if/when
he goes off his food.  Which he will sometimes do for a day or so.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2010, 10:59:44 AM »

If you have Royal Canin and Hills then they also do wet renal versions, which you would not need to add Renalzin to.

The problem is, they are expensive and unpalatable. I have tried so many different renal wet foods and none of them get eaten. I had 12 tins of Eunakaba renal (sp) and 16 trays of Speficics renal delivered this week. Clapton refused to touch the specifics and he had 1/2 a tin of Eunakaba but has since refused to eat any more. That is over £40 down the drain. I will keep tring to get him to eat it but 90%+ will end up in the bin. It is really frustrating - however, he lapped up a pouch of Whiskas chicken with binders in. Not the perfect diet but he enjoys it and it is cheap  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline BTC

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2010, 09:27:14 AM »

Our little furbag has been on Renalzin since August.  He has been fine with it mixed into his wet food.  He has never been on dry food so I couldn't tell you about that.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2010, 23:53:48 PM »
we used ti have a russian lady as a member a few years ago anf she said the same about whiskers and we were shocked cos we thought it was the same ever where.

we also have hills, iams and royal canin and i dont know who makes then but i bet mark does  ;D

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2010, 23:51:36 PM »
Felix, Whiskas and Kitekat are all 4% meat here too!  :shocked:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline SETTER

• Kitten
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2010, 23:26:58 PM »
Felix at us is not present. Wiskas at us very much differs. Quality is worse. A lot of groats. Meat and fish of 4 %. And Wiskas and Kitiket take poor.  :scared:
The price very low. Royal Canin, Hills, Yams and others are more popular.  :shy:
You have these forages? Who makes them?  :innocent:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 22:21:40 PM »
The most popular here are called Felix (made by Purina), and Whiskas (Made by Mars) are the most popular here. I googled and Purina and Mars are also the biggest cat food makers in the Ukraine - I'm sure they are called something else in the Ukraine but are probably the same things  :evillaugh:

Offline SETTER

• Kitten
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010, 21:36:01 PM »
Es! :Luv:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2010, 21:34:51 PM »
do you mean the most popular cat food, Setter?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline SETTER

• Kitten
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 21:11:12 PM »
Thanks all!  :thanks:
Thanks for the help. I will try to give your answers to acquaintances. It will help. What in you it is the most popular from forages? :shy:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 21:05:51 PM »
My cat Willow had Renalzin in wet food but she died. I don't think it was the renalzin as it is supposed to be the best phosphorus binder. Ipakitin is easy to mix with dry food. It is very fine powder and it will stick to the oils in dry cat food. My other cat with renal disease has been using this for 3 years and is OK. He will not eat food with Renalzin mixed in because he can smell it.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 20:11:44 PM »
This is only my opinion Setter but if the cat is very old , I would not risk unless they had really good information and back up.

Sometimes it is better to let an old cat live out its life without  trying to force it to eat or take stuff that it doesnt like, it will just get stressed and possibly more ill.

if the cat still has a quality of life, then its time has not come but if it becomes in pain or too sick to eat or drink and a good vet cant help, it would be then be time for it to be allowed to pass on peacefully.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 11:18:10 AM »
 :welcome: Setter. Your English is not bad, but it is difficult to talk about confusing things in a new language!!
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline SETTER

• Kitten
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 18:29:54 PM »
My English is bad. Thanks that understand. Veterinary surgeons at us weak. Their possibilities limited. They try to treat at once a teeth and paws. Therefore we try to understand in all. Not my cat. At me dogs and a bird. He/she is a cat of friends. It old and they do not wish to risk. It is necessary to try or is better it is not necessary? The diagnosis - chronic nephritic insufficiency. The veterinary surgeon has advised to take new. The recipe from us anywhere do not demand. Friends are afraid to risk.
Senks!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 18:28:15 PM »
Thanks, thought it was CRF orientated cos of the replies.

Was just trying to help setter cos think he is struggling a bit with our language, if there is a russian speaker out there he would be grateful

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 18:24:53 PM »
Gill its a binder for crf cats, to be fair its not a prescription item so can be brought by anyone.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 18:15:29 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs Setter. Our first member from the Ukraine  ;D

Mark below has said that its not possible to mix this with dry food but it sounds as if it can be mixed (disturbed) with wet food.

Mark or someone what is this used for please?

Is it for your cat setter and if so what illness does it have?

I do not know what vet care you have in the Ukraine, is good?

Offline SETTER

• Kitten
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 18:14:43 PM »
The veterinary surgeon has told that a preparation new. Can try.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 18:12:14 PM »
has a vet recommended it for your cat, Setter?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline SETTER

• Kitten
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 18:08:26 PM »
I live in Ukraine. This preparation only has appeared. It would be desirable to hear responses. I recommend to its acquaintances for a cat. To a cat of 16 years. It would not be desirable to risk. The cat eats only a dry feed.  :shy:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 18:03:06 PM »
Setter why are you interested in Renalzin?

Offline SETTER

• Kitten
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 16:59:55 PM »
It turns out to disturb with porridge or canned food better? What responses about Renalzin? Good or bad?  :innocent:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 07:51:12 AM »
Renalzin is a paste so not very good to mix with dry food. Ipakitine is better to mix with dry as it is a powder. If you put some dry food in a plastic bag with some Ipakitin powder and shake it, the powder will stick to the biscuits.

Offline SETTER

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 21:20:52 PM »
Tell Renalzin it is possible to give together with dry feeds Renal? Who can prompt.  :innocent:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 00:30:22 AM »
Willow is fine with renalzin but clapton won't touch food with it in so he has Ipakitin which isn't as effective but better than nothing. Are you giving the Fortekor at a different time to food with binders in? as binders can also reduce the effect of the meds. I have switched mine over to Benazecare which is the generic version of Fortekor. Same drug but much smaller tablet so it is easier to hide in food or treats and also 1/2 the price.

I'm not doing to well with renal food although I still manage to slip the odd meal in.

Offline BTC

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 23:07:27 PM »
Billy's been on Renalzin for about 2-3mths now, and (touch wood) all's been well. He's also on Fortekor/Istin (in the morning) and in the evening, Famotidine to help his tum.

What we tend to do is mix his renal food and his Felix Senior so that in the morning he has renal and in the evening he has felix - we tend to put 1 to 2 pumps in per packet of felix.

Touch wood he's been much better for his meds on the whole.  Which we're more than happy about   :Luv:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 13:11:39 PM »
received wisdom is that it can be overdosed and that a pump should = 1ml.

Btw someone in America told me that it will bind with (and therefore make less effective) Istin so am just posting that in case it helps anyone else.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 16:54:42 PM »
Apparently it does bind with meds given at the same time, as do all binders. It makes life difficult if you are relying on food for meds, not pills. I'm not totally sure how long you are supposed to wait before giving other meds like zantac or fortekor?

Anyone know if a cat can have too much of it (Bayer themselves unsure on the phone) as with a/d, you can't mix it all up in advance, add the binder then feed as necessary as a/d doesn't keep well outside of a sealed container?  So I just add a little pump to each assist meal.  Apparently a cat can't really OD on AH so I hope not renalzin either. I also hope it works.....

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 10:56:52 AM »
I think Renalzin has added Potassium as well as vitamin E and also Kaolin to help reduce acid in their stomachs. Apparently, the binder is more effective than others. I don't think it would bind to any med.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 12:42:05 PM »
HTH others. Had an email back from a vet site in USA saying that all binders don't just bind with phosphorus but with any meds, so don't add them to any 'bound' food and give a couple of hours apart. If possible!  They use AH there and think it works pretty well and you can't give too much of it.

why is renalzin supposedly so much better? The vet guy said aluminium in high doses is toxic to humans but not to cats so there's not much pressure in the states to change to renalzin, which is very expensive there.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 17:54:41 PM »
I don't know how I'm going to be able to give it, with Swampy having so many little meals and usually with lysine and always with potassium mixed into the food. I mean if the Renalzin has to be 3 hours away from any meds like she said.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 14:13:04 PM »
Not sure about that - I would assume the worst though to be safe?

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 14:08:27 PM »
Bayer rang me back and were most helpful. Mix up the food that you are going to give in the morning with 1 pump, afternoon with 1 pump and leave the rest unless needed.
However she said that I am going to have to give him some meals with and some without renalzin as it (in theory) can bind to anything in the food, including the medications that I mix in, like potassium and lysine, making them less effective. She also said don't give his pill meds very close to food containing Renalzin either just to be safe.

Do you know if aluminium hydroxide also does that? I have some lying about too.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 13:25:20 PM »
I don't think it is an exact science so if you aimed for 1/2 pump per meal, it would be fine. I always assume they mean 2 pumps per pouch. I always put extra in fish on the rare occasions I give it to Willow. Clapton won't touch food with Renalzin in so I have to use Ipakitine.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Renalzin
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 13:15:45 PM »
Can you overdose renalzin? Their info leaflet says add a pump (2mls) to morning and evening meals. What if your cat is on 7 or 8 small meals a day - can you add a pump to each one?

Link to CatChat