Author Topic: Report Cat Breeder  (Read 13170 times)

Offline lizzy stell

• Adult Cat
Re: Report Cat Breeder
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 19:03:49 PM »
Yes if you don't pay they don't do anything,which is discussting as ive just recently got made redundant and don't have that sort of money.
I am member of the ragdoll club and they know about this breeder and do steer people away but they haven't got the power to prosicute not like the GCCF so in my eyes no body cares and its awful as all these cats are dying of diseases that could be prevented if these people were stopped. >:(

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 17:02:02 PM »
what about the individual breed organizations? I have a Russian Blue, and belong to the Russian Blue Breeders Association, although I have never been a breeder

I'm pretty sure they would want to know about a rogue breeder, if only to steer any potential new owners who contact them away from them
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 16:49:31 PM »
£250, thats mad! I was losing faith in the system considering how many awful breeders are still registered and get to con people into feeling safe, charging such an absurd amount when a concern is raised is awful.

Does that mean if the person complaining doesnt pay up then nothing is looked into?

Offline lizzy stell

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 21:09:00 PM »
Hi
   I would't bother reporting the breeder to the GCCF there rubbish there not interested,i got a ragdoll kitten which turned out to have lots of dieseases which the vet said were from untested parents,the vet reccomends me reporting to GCCF so i did i got a reply back saying i had to pay £250 to make a complaint against the breeder via the GCCF they said the fee was for administration and things like that and then there were no guarentee that anything would happen.
I was very let down by what i thought was an organisation that protected cats from bad breeders but trust me they don't care.

Offline Lorraine Twyman

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 00:16:30 AM »
Hi
I have been following the thread up. I am one of those wretched pedigree cat breeders :-) but I do it in a responsible manner. I have been involved in cat rescue for over 30 years.
Regarding HCM it is a condition that is in all mammals in varying types. It has been found in the Norwegian Forest Cat a few years ago and we as breeders promote the screening of this breed. I certainly do it. With us if anyone purchased a kitten that had HCM or any other genetic illness for that matter we always say in our kitten contracts that we will replace the kitten with another - we would not like our owners to be in the position whereby they purchased a kitten and it did not live very long.
Thank fully in 11 years of breeding we havenot had any of our kittens die from anything accept 4 who were killed by cars despite us selling for indoor or cat proofed garden homes only.

Unfortunately many breeders do not care once they have been paid for the kitten - what happens to them after that they do not want to know - I dont class those a real breeders - they are certainly not professional.

With regard to reporting breeders - the GCCF is not the way to go - they do not do anything -
A cat in law is classed as property rightly or wrongly - so comes under the sale of goods act - Trading standards is the place to report to.

If a breeder breeds from cats knowingly to carry hCM they should not breed that combination again and SHOULD screen the cats and take the positives OUT of the breeding programme.

Hope this helps a little

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 20:08:24 PM »
The test is like a scan of the heart and you are right CC - all the Bengal breeders I know screen the studs and queens for HCM - Im not sure if it can be done on young kittens but as it is genetic if the parents are clear then the babies should be too.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 13:29:50 PM »
I read lots (most) Bengal breeders do that blood screaning test on their kittens, dont know if it goes further a field with other breeds, although it should  :shy:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Lindsey (thefunkyinuit)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 23:31:28 PM »
Thanks everyone, i'll pass on your advice to my sister about getting Ruby tested and i'll try to find out if the breeder is registered  :thanks:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 23:12:12 PM »

Obviously, my sister, not knowing this at the time, purchased another kitten, from the same breeder. The disease usually effects the cat before the age of 2 and is fatal, her little girl kitten is now the same age as her first when he died and she is worried that she will also be affected as she comes from the same gene pool.

Such a shame about your sisters kitten and a worry that her other kitten comes from the same line. Hopefully her other kitten won't be affected, but as Sheryl said, a scan will be able to determine. It still doestn mean it will be immediately fatal, HCM is a progressive disease, and although there is always the possibility of  sudden death, many cats live long lives before it starts affecting them. My Sam (a persian) has HCM and he's 12 (only showed signs and was diagnosed last year), he's doing well on medication.

Defitinely report the breeder to GCCF (if she's registered)  :hug:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 22:20:37 PM »
The breeder should definately be testing for HCM and if there are cases of it the mating should never be repeated and a responsible breeder would have the Stud and Queen spayed and neutered.  Unfortunately a lot of BYB dont bother so the problem will escalate - I know a lot of responsible breeders who are testing for this awful disease.  This gene is not just being found in coonies but in several pedigree breeds.

Is the breeder registered?  If so as Helen says she could be reported to the GCCF but your sister would need to prove that the cats have HCM

Your sister can have her kitten tested for HCM to put her mind at rest.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 20:44:27 PM »
 :welcome: back - Congrats on your marriage  ;D

Is this breeder registered with the GCCF? Did your sister get the pedigree 'papers' when she adopted them? I think that would be my first port of call http://www.gccfcats.org/

You could also report her to the RSPCA due to the poor condition of the kittens when they were rehomed but sadly I don't think they'd do anything as long as they were being fed and watered  :tired:

Edit to add: Will move this to the general cat chat section...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 20:46:12 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Lindsey (thefunkyinuit)

• Senior Cat
Report Cat Breeder
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 20:32:36 PM »
Hi, I know I haven't been on here for ages, I've been busy getting married!  :Luv:
Lacies fine and as gorgeous as ever by the way!
Firstly, I know this site is dedicated to rescue cats and you don't encourage pedigree breeding (neither do I, gimme a moggy anyday!)
But I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. I don't know if any of you remember me mentioning my sister's Main Coon kitten that died suddenly at 15 mths old?

Anyway, apparantly there is a faulty gene in Main Coons that can cause a disease called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, this is what we believe he died from.
As this is a risk in this breed, all registered breeders should have their breeding cats tested to see if they are carrying the faulty gene, we don't think this had been done and if it was then maybe he should never have been born. Obviously, my sister, not knowing this at the time, purchased another kitten, from the same breeder. The disease usually effects the cat before the age of 2 and is fatal, her little girl kitten is now the same age as her first when he died and she is worried that she will also be affected as she comes from the same gene pool.

This issue, along with the fact that her new kitten had fleas, ear mites AND worms when she got her, and the conditions the breeder's cats were in (small, smelly, dirty house, the females I saw had dirty eyes) I don't think the breeder cares about the welfare of the cats and kittens and should be reported for negligence.

Has anyone any idea how I would go about it?

Thanks everyone  :thanks:

Link to CatChat