Author Topic: long term Baytril use: anyone know about Marbocyl?  (Read 7230 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: long term Baytril use: anyone know about Marbocyl?
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 15:50:25 PM »
If i wanted to do that id have quoted you but i didnt  :shy: sometimes when people are desperate they may take on board things that arent a good idea

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 13:14:12 PM »
I dont read here all the time but was shocked to see pepper for making him sneeze, i hope this wasnt used and that guests reading this wont try it.  :scared:

Thanks for the public bashing MM !!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 11:39:45 AM »
Theres issues with both so really you havnt nothing to lose trying the other, it all depends on the cat,some do awful with baytril  :(

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 11:31:38 AM »
No, don't worry. Although an american on my yahoo group suggested holding a fresh cut onion in front of his nose as it works for her cat! I have infant saline drops that the vet is going to show me how to use to hopefully make him sneeze, as she wants to.
I think we are going to try the marbocyl. Bonnielass's post is swaying me that way. If it has no side effects, then it's supposed to work better than Baytril. The problem with Baytril is that it seems to only work for a while, like 3 weeks, then doesn't, although it has made him feel better, no question. I got no feedback from the USA about marbocyl, other than that it's very like Baytril. Same group of abx.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 11:25:50 AM »
I dont read here all the time but was shocked to see pepper for making him sneeze, i hope this wasnt used and that guests reading this wont try it.  :scared:

I hope the extended course of baytril helps make him comfy

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 21:41:05 PM »
Bungly had baytril as you know and it cleared up unbelievably quick -Smartie has had it once or twice in the past as he gets herpes ( as well as asthma and heart problem !)

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 19:35:12 PM »
Kate my lost babe Wizzy always had a runny nose and got blocked up and my vet put him on Marbocyl,
He was on it for almost 2 years, at the first sign of snots i used to give it to him and it worked wonders for hm
cleared his snots up within a couple of days, i used to have him on it for 7 days at a time
Wizzy had asthma so he often caught colds and had a snotty nose
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 18:23:48 PM »
 :thanks: think he will stay on Baytril for 2 more days. Someone on my yahoo group told me their cat had a slight neuro reaction on Marbocyl. Haven't ruled it out though as it does work well on snotty noses & his lurgie may get immune to Baytril (it happens with Baytril) apparently and yes, the vet is applying her mind which is good. I'm waiting for more feedback from America. I think it sounds pretty like Baytril to be honest. The safest abx is synulox, but it just doesn't work on colds.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 17:20:23 PM »
Hoping this drug will help Swampy to feel better in himself -glad the vet/locum has applied their mind this time -they should do this every time you go and Listen to you !
Lots of healing vibes coming Swampys way  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 16:42:27 PM »
I'm sure Gill didn't mean to sound harsh Kate, the trouble is we can't see him and just read things like he isn't holding down food etc and it sounds awful, I'm sure if we had him in front of us like you do it would be different - you can only continue to be guided by your vet and you instincts and I'm sure you will  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 14:49:35 PM »
Quite right Kate. No one has the right to tell you what you should or should not do. Of course you will know when it is Swampy's time, you had to do it with Max and after all the loving care and devotion you give to him there is no way you would let him suffer.  If there was no point in giving the meds the vet, I am sure, would say so and say that there was no more to be done.  I think it is worth a shot, Swampy deserves the chance bless his chocolate paws:) :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 14:26:28 PM »
@ Kate!  :care: :grouphug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 14:18:48 PM »
sorry Gill but it's not Swampy's time as yet. The locum was very pleased with him this morning. Yes he is mostly (not totally) assist fed and no, he does not have long. But he's quite perky today, much better than sunday. I will know and I won't let him suffer or lose his dignity. It does upset me that people think that I would.

If anyone knows about Marbocyl please do let me know. The Baytril is very similar to marbocyl she said and it has made him feel better but it may not be safe to continue using it, I don't know.

I'm sorry but want to get something important off my chest. It is intolerable that you can't ask a medical related question on this health thread without someone telling you that you cat must be pts. It is an individual decision and no-one knows anyone's cat better than they do. Where am I supposed to ask for help and info if I can't post on here?  Swampy, like all very old and ill cats, has us on a rollercoaster of bad and good days.  But I surely must be able to post my true feelings and questions about his health and treatment without being upset by being told to pts. Rant over and out.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 14:27:11 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 12:45:31 PM »
you have probably forgotten but franta takes marbocyl when he has the seizures. he has .9 ml of 2% solution by jab for 7 days. its a powerful ab that gets into the brain and franta was given it as it was guessed he has a brain infection.

its worked for him 3 times now stopping the seizures but nobody knows why.

to be brutally honest kate i think you know its time for swampy to go and meet max and the locum and your vet have both probably told you this  :hug: :hug:

you can see that swampy is going downhill fast and i dont think that marbocyl or anything else will help him now, please let him have some dignity and pass to the bridge. i know its the very hardest thing to do but you must consider what is is like for poor swampy being given all these meds and not being able to eat or do hardly anything for himself.

i know this will upset you but i am sure deep in your heart you know its swampys time  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 10:51:59 AM »
We had to go down there again today as there was no way I was getting a phone call. Anyhow she apologised and did apply her mind. She gave him Baytril again but wants to move him to Marbocyl tomorrow. I'm going to change this thread's title in the hope that someone out there has some info. I can only find it as tablets for cats and she is giving it as an injection in case Swampy vomits. She says he will need an injection a day for week which sounds a long time to me. Of course I am scared of the side effects, which can also be neuro like Baytril.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
Re: long term Baytril use: safety
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 00:28:20 AM »
I could give your Locum vet a good piece of my mind for saying that to you - uncaring and unsupportive  :censored: :censored:- good job i don''t know the place !
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:  to you and Swampy

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 00:04:46 AM »
I have lost confidence in the locum vet who thinks that Swampy will be pts soon and that I asked for it, so be it on my head.

is that what she said ?  :wow:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 22:20:21 PM »
Is it worth going to another vet and telling your own why you are fed up with their attitude - i am sure thats what i would do now .
They can fax all his notes over .
Could you write them a letter otherwise asking why their attitudae is so bad and you are really trying everything you can for Swampy -they have no right to be like they are to you . :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
long term Baytril use: anyone know about Marbocyl?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 22:15:24 PM »
what's the longest anyone has had a sick cat on Baytril please? Swampy's been put on injectable Baytril again because of his sinus related constant vomiting of his food (not survivable if it continued).  Last Friday he was meant to stop taking it. He'd had an initial injection and then had been on just under 1/2 pill per day for 5 weeks (longer than normal I know). The vet thought he would be ok after that but he isn't. It worked very well at first, then less so. I have been unable to get hold of the vet who wouldn't talk to me today. I am terrified that another course of Baytril may kill him. I have lost confidence in the locum vet who thinks that Swampy will be pts soon and that I asked for it, so be it on my head. (she likes some other abx, tetracycline).

He was meant to be on noroclav/synulox now as it is safer, but the problem is that it doesn't work on his sinusitis so there seemed little point. Does anyone know please? Also does anyone know if the injectable Baytril is stronger than the pills?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 10:52:27 AM by swampmaxmum »

Link to CatChat