Author Topic: Significance of slightly raised urea and ALT?  (Read 5551 times)

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
Re: Significance of slightly raised urea and ALT?
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 22:03:21 PM »
Am just bringing this thread back up, interesting reading as Dougie's urea is 15, and was 14.5 six months ago when he was first rescued and his mouth was sore.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 12:53:35 PM »
(soz I had already put this on your other thread Christine)

Sorry  :shy:: I thought this specific question might be of general interest so I didn't raise it on Blip's 'hip' thread.

Definitely  :)  I answered there 'cos started being discussed but I too thought better discussed separate, good thinking :evillaugh:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 12:40:27 PM »

Sorry  :shy:: I thought this specific question might be of general interest so I didn't raise it on Blip's 'hip' thread.

Thanks for your inputs, Millysmum, Gillian and Janey. Blip's creatinine is very good at 101 and all her other counts are spot on.  Far from being concerned, the vet was 'encouraged' by her overall results, hence my surprise to be told of the slightly raised urea this morning.

I suspect she may have been slightly dehydrated.  It turns out she's slightly constipated (I'll update on her 'hip' thread).  She's not on steroids so it's not that.  But she wasn't pre-starved for her bloods on 6 August and had eaten not so long before, so I suspect that may be a factor.

I have done a little desk research and discovered raised ALT values, while they can be indicative of liver issues, can also be present if the cat has eaten recently.  Anyway, she'll be having quarterly blood tests from now on, as she's going onto daily Metacam, so a pattern will emerge.

:thanks: all!
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 12:18:39 PM »

Pep's urea was raised on his notes - it was 18.8 against normal values 2.8 - 9.8  whereas....my vets say between 5.7and 12.9 (just shows how different values can be from vets)

His fosterer said her vet said that could have been because he had eaten beforehand but I guess Blip won't have eaten with having a general?

My vet said it could be down to different things and she guessed his raised thyroid levels but Blip hasn't that either neither seemed overly concerned though unless my vet is waiting to see what next bloods show?

If you ask your vet they'll have some idea    :hug:

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 12:27:32 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 12:02:02 PM »
Snap MM!  :evillaugh:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 12:01:01 PM »
The raised urea could just be that she's a little dehydrated. Is she on any steroids for her hip problems? as some steroids can cause raised urea. I know ALT is liver related, but not sure of the significance of raised levels.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 11:59:24 AM »
ALT is to do with Liver, urea can be raised if dehydrated. I think if its just urea on its own then not to worry, its when creatine and urea raised together that indicate crf.
One level raised can also be a sign of infection, Gooey has this when he had a horrible mouth, il look back and see what he had raised  :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Significance of slightly raised urea and ALT?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 09:51:58 AM »
Some of you may know that Blip is having x-rays today to establish what's going on with her hip.  The vet is doing this under GA rather than under sedation as her urea is slightly raised.  I asked for details and have her blood test print-out from 6 August.  Everything is within normal range except:

Urea - 15.8, should be between 6.0 and 10.0
ALT - 62, should be between 0 and 20.

It was the nurse I spoke to this morning so I didn't take this up with her - anyone know?  What is ALT anyway?  Blip is 11 years old.

:thanks:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Link to CatChat