Author Topic: Deafness/dementia/attention seeking?  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Deafness/dementia/attention seeking?
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 18:15:51 PM »
Gooey stares intently for food, then he moves in closer, then he bites your ankles  :evillaugh: i wish he would squeak instead!

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 18:13:25 PM »
I agree, it does sound like it could be the food.  Byron will come and sit and stare at me if she is wanting some food or different type - they will find a way of letting you know.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 17:54:49 PM »
Oh definately sounds like the food to me and all food should never just be changed

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 17:50:35 PM »
Hmmm I do think that it may have been my going away... Katie and I are very close and before Andy moved in a year ago it was always just me and her and she'd sleep on the bed every night etc so I'm more inclined to say she's just punishing me fo going away! Also andy changed her onto wet food when I was away whereas I like her on dry so maybe she's just crying for the wet food!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 17:47:34 PM »
Our Freddie squeaks alot but we're used to it.  I mentioned it to vet when Freddie 1st arrived 3 years ago.  Vet said just keep an eye and see how he settles.  He squeaks more now than he did then but it's been a gradual thing and am quite sure it's attention seeking with him.  The fact that Katie's behaviour has altered significantly would make me think of a vet visit unless you think your absence might have started it and she just needs to settle back down again into her old routine?

Age 8 does seem very young for dementia and I wouldn't be thinking HyperT unless there are other signs.

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 17:34:26 PM »
Hehe, nope Woody found a lovely new home around 6 weeks ago and she's been SO much better since then and doesn't live in the airing cupboard any more!

She's always cried at night when she's playing with her catnip mouse ever since we got her (around 4 years ago). She's not evern necessarily more clingy as she's a very cuddly lap cat normally, but she literally will sit on the floor looking up at us crying and crying and we just don't have a clue what she wants!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 17:30:06 PM »
Have you still got the other chappy whose name eludes me at the moment  :innocent:
if it was night yowling it can be hyperthyroid probs, is she just being more clingy and attention seeking

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 17:26:34 PM »
she sounds a bit young for dementia and think the first port of casll is the vets to ensure theres nothing going on that tests cant resolve  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
Deafness/dementia/attention seeking?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 17:23:02 PM »
Katie is around 8 years old and recently has started crying lots at both of us even when she's been fed, has clean litter and been played with...

Andy said it got worse whilst I was away (I've been ill and had a month awayfrom home). She seemed to be better now I was back, but sometimes it really is just like she'll sit and miaow and miaow at us, like she's trying to ask for something ot tell us something. She's a vocal cat anyway, but this is different and i'm not sure whether I should ignore it, or take her to the vets...

I don't think she's deaf as she cn stil hear when I call her for food at the other end of the flat... how else would dementia show itself?

Any advice would be great!

Link to CatChat