Author Topic: Kitten has one eye closed  (Read 8060 times)

Offline Felix Felicis

• Adult Cat
Re: Kitten has one eye closed
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 16:23:52 PM »
It was only one eye closed, fully, with a little crusted gunk in the corner, wiped it away and she opened her eye after and kept it open.

Checked this morning and no signs of anything wrong. Both eyes are clean and wide open. Weird!

The kittens are about 3 weeks now.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 14:13:26 PM »
Sounds like some drops are needed. My vet prescribes Exacin (also Ofloxacin) - partly as it keeps for 28 days after opening and it is also cheap  :evillaugh: - they are human eye drops but my vet gave them to me for Willow's gunky eye.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 20:45:29 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 12:29:37 PM »
Had the eye opened already or are they half way, i forget how old they are now. Gently bathe and ring your vet

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 10:58:50 AM »
Need to see a vet  :hug:

Offline HaneyHarperIndyMum (Val)

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 04:11:45 AM »
Yellow gunky eye is common in kittens.  It's probably a bit of an eye infection or the tear duct is blocked, provided there are no other symptoms of a URI.  I foster kittens and have had many a kitten with one eye shut.  I use Falcon Ofloxacin Ophthalmic Solution USP and it works great.  You can only get it from your vets.  I would take your little kitten in for a vet check though just to be sure.  Meanwhile just keep the eye clean by using warm wet cloth to wipe away the yellow gunk.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 06:23:13 AM by HaneyHarperIndyMum (Val) »

Offline Felix Felicis

• Adult Cat
Kitten has one eye closed
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 02:31:01 AM »
Hey, our young kitten has one of her eyes closed and there is a bit of yellow "gunk" in the corner of the eye, does anyone know if this is likely to be an eye infection or could she have just caught a paw in the face?  :shify:

It's 2am now so will check back in the morning and wipe away the gunk with a wet cloth.

Link to CatChat