Author Topic: Cat scratching herself  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Cat scratching herself
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 01:26:06 AM »
I think the clue hear is the change from Combo to ordinary frontline because they work different  and I suspect a switch back will resolve the problem, If there is one flea or sign of dirt, eggs are very small and white then this will be what is making her itch.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 22:51:49 PM »
Are the kitten biscuits relatively new to your cat? The reason I ask if that Noah was madly itchy for a couple of days on a sample of Royal Canin: at least I think it was that as he is indoor and white so I know it isn't fleas!  :catlove2: If the biscuits are new could you perhaps feed your cat and kitten separately for a week or two? The problem with allergies is they can develop to foods/ products that are not new, so the cause can be tough to root out. Are you insured? If so and this persists your vet might be willing to run some allergy tests.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline liquorice

• Adult Cat
  • New picture
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 21:26:32 PM »
Hello

No, although she does eat kittens biscuits alongside her normal cat food.

J

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 20:34:44 PM »
Any new cleaning products in the home, shake'n'vac/ laundry detergent? Any change in food?
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline liquorice

• Adult Cat
  • New picture
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 18:41:52 PM »
Hello

Thanks for everybodys help. We took her to a more experienced vet within the same practice as she needed dental treatment. The vet looked at her skin and it not sure what is causing it but whatever it is causes a whitehead to appear then a scab on the top. Any ideas???

Thanks

J :thanks:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 19:22:06 PM »
Oral steroids are better imo as you control what goes in and can wean off when you need to, several weeks of steroid being released is sometimes overkill.
Have you a fine comb you can run along her back? If you comb her and then look in the hair you will find out if theres flea activity as black bits will be in the hair. Put the black bits on a wet tissue and see if they turn red, if so thats flea poop  :sick:
A house spray such as indorex or acclaim will help if she has a flea allergy, most of them live in the environment not on the cat, you can buy these sprays online from vet uk or similar online pharmacies  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 18:48:50 PM »
They are the tablet form of steroids - I'm surprised they didn't give a long-acting jab instead really.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tiggerl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 18:44:03 PM »
Hello

Thanks for asking!

We took her to the vets tonight and they said she could just have an allergy to something, they didn't want to give her the steroid injection, but gave us 5mg tablets which she is to take half in the morning and half at night, they are: Prednidale. Do you know if these make her tired at all, she seems a little calmer.

Thanks

J
hi
i think thats what my vet gave tigger but a long acting injection version.
he isnt

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 21:53:06 PM »
Glad she seem a bit more settled poor girl,  not sure about tablets and like MrsR says probably unrelated, I would just see how she goes and ask the vet if need be  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 20:49:25 PM »
I am not sure about those tablets hunnie but I am sure someone on here will know.

Maybe she is a little tired due to not feeling 100% herself.

Offline liquorice

• Adult Cat
  • New picture
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 20:30:48 PM »
Hello

Thanks for asking!

We took her to the vets tonight and they said she could just have an allergy to something, they didn't want to give her the steroid injection, but gave us 5mg tablets which she is to take half in the morning and half at night, they are: Prednidale. Do you know if these make her tired at all, she seems a little calmer.

Thanks

J

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 20:10:38 PM »
How she doing today?

Offline liquorice

• Adult Cat
  • New picture
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 22:58:13 PM »
Thank you!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 22:38:24 PM »
She could have a flea allergy. It only takes one flea bite to get them itching like mad. My dog has been diagnosed as having said allergy. If it is this a steroid injection at the vets should stop the itching. I only ever found one flea on her after repeated searches.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline liquorice

• Adult Cat
  • New picture
Cat scratching herself
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 22:09:04 PM »
Hello

For the past week our cat has been scratching like mad! I'm not sure if it is because she was on frontline combo and now back on the normal frontline, anybody got any ideas. She has like flea bite things around her neck, but todat no fleas have been found. I am taking her to the vets on saturday.

Link to CatChat