Author Topic: when and how to wean  (Read 2141 times)

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
Re: when and how to wean
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 09:27:15 AM »
I must confess I have always had great success with the kitten loaf, it seems that the consistency and smell of that really attracts the kittens and it has never really caused any issues with mine.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 09:12:07 AM »
my vet told me off for using kitten loaf as my lot had the runs. she said it was too rick and to try one of the more expensive brands. Judith seems to wean hers quite happily on the Orijen soaked in a little cooking juice from fish, liquid from pilchards or just plain water.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 08:21:49 AM »
I would make sure you have some shallow bowls in, and be prepared for the kittens to walk all over it. It might be worth mixing a bit of water in at first just to make it that bit sloppier for them, and we always use Whiskas Kitten Loaf for weaning, it seems to be the easiest for them to eat.
Please spay your cat

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 18:25:28 PM »
You don't really need to do a lot. Mum will take them to the food when they are ready and you will find that they become interested in what mum has in her dish as well.

From about 4 weeks on I mash up kitten food whhc mum should still be on anyway and put it in a large shallow sided bowl. The kittens will be called by mum and they will proceed to start tasting it for themselves.

The ages varies when babies start, some at just gibe 4 weeks and some nearer 6, I just let nature take it course. After all they manage in the wild!  ;)
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 18:09:24 PM »
Have never weaned a kitten before (sorry) .....Just wanted to say "hope your doggie Gets Well soon"!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 17:58:50 PM »
Will move this into the health section so you may get some quick replies  ;D

Offline Denise070

• Adult Cat
when and how to wean
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 17:05:47 PM »
Sorry i have not been on in the last few days but one of my dogs is very ill so i have had my hands full.

The kittens are getting bigger by the day, they are now sitting up and starting to walk.They are only 2 and half weeks so i know they are too young at the moment, but when do they start to be weaned.

Also how do i do it.

Thanks

X

Link to CatChat