Author Topic: Please help  (Read 2041 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Please help
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 11:34:56 AM »
Can cats get arthritis at any age? Just wondering as I know people can - I'm 33 and suffer with it mildly in my finger joints.

Shadow has had arthritis since he was 2 (dog, CC just in case you were wondering ...)

Once a diagnosis is confirmed, you can supplement his/her food with glucosamine and Chondroitn supplements that you can get from most good pet suppliers ...

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 11:24:41 AM »
I too think a vet check initially is the way to go to ensure what the exact problem is. Some vet practices do have  vets that are also qualified to give advice on homeopathy. In my view and I know others no alternative medicines should be given before seeking professional advice.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 11:21:23 AM »
Cod liver oil tablets. Plus they dont mind the taste! My Mum's dogs breed isnt meant to live past 8 and she's 11 with a little help from the cod liver oil! ;D

I've read that you should never give cod liver oil to cats because it is too strong and can do more harm than good (sorry, forgotten what it is that it has too much of - vitamin A perhaps?).  The salmon oil that Sam mentioned would be a better alternative if you decide to go down that route, but I agree with all the others who have suggested the first port of call should be the vet.  If it is arthritis I think they also do glucosamine/chondroitin for animals which may be less aggressive for long term use than NSAIDS.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 21:55:17 PM »
Cod liver oil tablets. Plus they dont mind the taste! My Mum's dogs breed isnt meant to live past 8 and she's 11 with a little help from the cod liver oil! ;D

Salmopet - salmon oil is actually better than cod liver oil and it is specifially designed to animals  ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline jemb85

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 21:46:31 PM »
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 20:06:20 PM »
A vet check and a heat pad would be my suggestions, if she has much trouble then a prescription drug will be needed such as metacam. Natural remedies are limited in what they can do but if you want one then vet uk has a whole section for joints

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 19:31:24 PM »
Can cats get arthritis at any age? Just wondering as I know people can - I'm 33 and suffer with it mildly in my finger joints.

I would think so JS but older cats more so and snap! I think I'm getting it in a couple of my nuckles as they have started to hurt recently but my poor sister has had it quite bad for a long time now (she's 2 yrs older than me) in quite a few joints as did my mum.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 19:30:53 PM »
I agree. There could be underlying medical issues which may also respond negatively to alternative therapies and are always best checked by your vet. My cat has stiffness but she suffers from other conditions, therefore before trying anything new my vet is always consulted.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 19:13:19 PM »
People can certainly get arthritis at any age  :(  My daughter developed it around the age of 12  and we were terribly sad to see BABIES in the paediatric department with it - maybe its the same with cats ?

I agree with what everyone else has said - vet check time  :hug:
People Power Works!!!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 19:09:05 PM »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 19:02:08 PM »
I Agree with Blip ... you need to speak to your vet in the first instance to find out exactly what is causing the stiffness.  TBH I am a little sceptical and am wary of  "natural remedies" as many of them are untested and unproven.  Once you have spoken with you vet please let us know the outcome as there are some things that may help Maisie (in combination with vetinary treatment) e.g. Fish oil.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 17:38:10 PM »
Purrs advises that in any case of concern about a cat's health, you should always consult a fully qualified veterinary practitioner as your first priority.   If you are considering any additional complementary therapies or treatments for your cat, we strongly advise that you discuss this carefully with your vet first.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 17:19:21 PM »
Hi

You might be better off posting this in Health and Behaviour. You may get more of a response there than here, Never the less  :welcome:

A vet check would be in order first to see what is going on. I would not advise anyone to medicate their cat, natural remedies or otherwise with out a checkup.
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline catnip crazy

• Kitten
Please help
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 17:05:37 PM »
Hi all.

Just wondered if you could please offer a little advice. My cat Maisie has started becoming stiff on a morning and struggles to get out of her bed. She is only 7 so i'm wondering if there are any natural remedies I could try with her

Thanks in advance

Link to CatChat