Author Topic: Missing grey semi feral cat from Cramar cat rescue FOUND  (Read 49730 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: Missing grey semi feral cat from Cramar cat rescue FOUND
« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2009, 23:09:00 PM »
Did you manage to go see him Shirley?  :shify: Im crossing my fingers that if you did then he was still as brave around people as he was the other day!  ;) :Luv: :hug:

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #98 on: August 08, 2009, 18:46:28 PM »
Might be an idea, thanks! I think i'll go and see him tomorrow and see if he's still relaxed!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #97 on: August 08, 2009, 14:28:51 PM »
Hi Shirley,

You could always do a thread in the Rescue & Rehoming Sect on here (Purrs!) He is one handsome cat and I do believe the feral left in him is quickly ebbing away!  ;D

Its worth a try!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2009, 16:21:07 PM »
Hi, went to see him today (3.1/2 hours-they must me SO fed up with me now!) and he was great! he came out of the 'bedroom' as he heard my voice and had lots of fuss. Later on, he let 2 of the assistants fuss him as well!!! Yaaaaaaah!!!! He walked away from me and lay in the sunshine, went back into the 'bedroom' and lay in, not behind, a bed and used the litter tray!!!!! He seem so relaxed this time, the only problem being a grumpy cat called Abbie, who growled at him (and the others )everytime she saw him, so that's not very helpful! I felt happier when i left him today, and i wish i could go every day, but a 40 mile round trip when you're on the dole is not good!
Someone had tried to ring the lady in the cul de sac, but got no reply, maybe on holiday? It's not saying she'd want him, but it's worth asking the question.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #95 on: August 07, 2009, 11:50:36 AM »
Wello Done hun, you must feel so at ease now knowing that he cant get himself into anymore mischief!  :wow:

That is promising that someone is interested in him, sounds like a fab home with fields out back for his wandering nature!  ;)

He is a very handsome cat, I do hope the confinement will be easier for him to handle this time!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2009, 18:03:33 PM »
well done Shirley

he's looking in really good shape, despite his adventuring :Luv2:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2009, 17:38:23 PM »
Ooops got the same one twice!

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2009, 17:37:28 PM »
And more!

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2009, 17:33:07 PM »
These were taken on 25th July when i went to Penny's to 'formally identify' him!

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2009, 17:31:02 PM »
 :dance;   I CAUGHT HIM!!!!!! He's now back at Cramar at the moment, but Janet knows of a woman who lives in a cul-de-sac with fields at the back of her house who may be interested!

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2009, 23:18:11 PM »
Thanks! I'm actually going over to Penny's tomorrow to try and catch him! Janet rang me today and asked if i would. He's been ignoring the traps, so i'm using the large cat carrier i caught mommy cat in. Fingers crossed! For the time being (if i catch him) he will go back to Cramar-unless one of you on here would like to adopt him!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2009, 19:30:12 PM »
Still thinking of you both Shirley!  ;) :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2009, 20:08:24 PM »
Shirley we adopted 3 ferals from a farm  14 months ago we were their last resort as the rest of their colony had been poisoned and we said we would take them - they are older - Miss Cissy is about 15 and her 2 kittens Smudger and Ragamuffin are now nearly 9 - they have adapted to inside only life - my choice and have done it with gusto they all let us touch them now as long as we have food in the other hand

We also have Ace who I trapped 4 years ago apart from drugging him to move him we haven't had fur contact since - he loves the digs and is a real colony cat so loves the cat company but if you try to touch him he comes at you clawes and all and I'm not doing that again!

We also have Blue a grey feral boy we trapped last September - he is about 2 and had lived all his life outside but after some major surgery we were advised to keep him in for a week then release - my dear Husband opened his pen after 3 days and he has been a member of the inside Clan since he has adapted beautifully and now has a few friends with the clan but isn't keen on us humans umless we have roast beeef!

They can and do adapat to inside life but you have to let them come on at their own pace = and sometimes it takes several years but the end result is always worth the wait and you seem to love this boy so give him a chance :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2009, 17:03:44 PM »
Hi Janeyk.   I live in rented property with only half of the garden with a 6' fence (which is no problem for a cat anyway!) I've had my Ollie about 6 years and only moved a few doors away from where i had him and he never wanders off.

Hi Dawn, i'm on meds for the epilepsy but have scans for the tumour. I've known about both for just over 7 years, (on the anniversary of my Dad's death, who also had a brain tumour!) caused by an RTA i had 35 years ago!! It is a benign tumour but can start growing at anytime, thankfully not yet, so, while it doesn't affect me, surgery isn't an option cos of all the problems that can result from it.!

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2009, 16:41:38 PM »
Hi Shirley,

so sorry, just caught up with your dilemma, would he not be safe outside in your garden with a kennel where you could just keep an eye on him and feed him etc.  I think he would probably just be happier unfettered, sorry to hear about your other problems too  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2009, 16:32:48 PM »
omg hun are you meds controlling things - I hope you mean benign  :hug:

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2009, 16:31:31 PM »
Thanks for the comments. It does feel as though my heart's being ripped out at the moment. I have to try and calm myself down or i'll make myself ill (i have a brain tumour and epilepsy)
I think i'll wait until he has been caught and have a good chat with Janet to see if we can work something out.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2009, 14:40:00 PM »
Whether he would be an indoor/outdoor pet or a garden cat he would need to be confined initially as he doesnt know the area. Any ferals that are rehomed are given the same, they have to know where their base is and where food is, sadly not all of them are as smart as tosker not to peg it for miles.I wouldnt take that risk with him Shirley  :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2009, 14:25:21 PM »
Yes unfortunately he would have to stay inside for atleast 4-6 wks so that obviously would be a problem for him!  :hug:

Sometimes you just have to be cruel to be kind and I think that Cramar will have to go back to basics with him...This must be so heart-wrenching for you Shirley and I do feel for you hun!  :care: :grouphug:

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2009, 14:20:41 PM »
I'd love to be able to after him on an outdoor basis, but he doesn't know this area so he'd just disappear the first time he was bought here, wouldn't he? Ollie's having problems with a cat that walks along 'his' fence at the moment, so even if he was here, i think he'd scare him off.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2009, 13:57:53 PM »
I think you would be able to look after him very well on an outdoor basis for a while, gradually letting him come in at his own pace

and Ollie will get used to him being around without having him in his face

it's working beautifully for me 
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2009, 13:49:34 PM »
Locking him up would drive him crazy and think he just needs to come back to the place he knows and then be tempted closer and closer.

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2009, 13:47:27 PM »
Hi Bazsmum, apart from the financial worries, it's the thought of keeping him locked up in a room for weeks. He's always had his freedom. One day my boss (stupid man ) brought him into the office and he literally, ran round the walls!! Although Janet has suggested keeping him at Cramar for a while in 'the halfway house' so he's used to being confined. As for fostering him, i would feel guilty taking the money, as they have so many cats to look after.
God, my head feels as though it's splitting in two!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2009, 12:59:30 PM »
So sorry this is being an awful dilemma for you Shirley, I wonder if you would be able to foster him for Cramar Rescue? That way hopefully the food and vets would possibly be covered?  ;) :hug: :hug:

Just a thought!  :)

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2009, 08:12:45 AM »
OMG Liz, what a wonderful home you have, it sounds like heaven! With all those rooms you could take in a lodger,i.e. me and my Ollie, with a gorgeous semi feral, you wouldn't even notice us lol.

Gill, i took him to Cramar when i knew i was being made redundant, and couldn't just leave him I EVENTUALLY caught his mommy-19 days after i'd left!- but she was found to have leukemia and a tumour, so was pts.I was devastated cos they were so close and i know he would've settled in the paddocks with her there. (All the frustrations and heartaches are on Catchat on my thread 'Advice needed on factory cats after redundancy (tho' it may have been archived now! ) and in Lost and Found, same title as this, if you fancy a read!!) I live about 4 miles from work.

Sam, i'm actually scared to death now. After a terrible night's sleep (again) i,m wondering if i can do it. I'm so worried it will spoil the relationship between me and Ollie. Also, finances, or lack of them. Once my redundancy money has gone, i'll be living on £64.30 a week dole money. How can i keep myself and one cat on that, never mind two! I love grey baby to bits, but i wish there was another option for him. I feel so bad now.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2009, 22:38:29 PM »
OMG Shirely, I've only just cuaght up on all the "excitement" on here and CC.  Poor baby .. so pleased he is OK and great news that you are going to give him a home.  He has definitely chosen you ... cats are very intuitive and insticively know "good" people when they see them ... they also know which of the "good" people they want to live with!

Keeping everything crossed that you will have him home soon xxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2009, 22:12:05 PM »
Did he walk 20 miles from you to there or was he taken................if he was taken and used to live near you, then it wont be a problem

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2009, 21:37:20 PM »
Sometimes we think we should but this lot are all ours and we have about 8 - 10 living outside some have been here for a couple of years and others are dumpees that we try to trap and get cleaned up and homed on where possible

We do live in the country and share our large house with the Clan - there are only me and Robin in the human form in a 7 bedroomed house!  We moved here for the animals and have amortgage to match - they have a 1.5 acre garden, a 3 acre paddock woods on 2 sides, a stream meandering past the front door and a single track a mile off a B Road and only one other neighbour shares the track and they have cats and dogs to - just not as many as us!!!!!!

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2009, 21:11:13 PM »
Do you run a rescue for ferals Liz? Fantastic!

p.s Gill,  i'm about 20 miles away from where he is now.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2009, 21:06:19 PM »
The Clan are up to nearly 28 ferals and the rest are domestic and our rescue raggie - we have a few -  41 currently and 3 dogs so don't worry about 2 - ferals are a joy - well unless you are todays addition Sam - he is min us bit and feeling sorry for himself but is currently in a pen with baby beijing and ragamuffin keeping him company!

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2009, 21:01:32 PM »
I meant being locked in for a few weeks-isn't that the way to do it?

I haven't got a flap in the house-rented-but i'd just bought one for Ollie for the shed he can go in when it's raining.  I always left the door ajar, but the torrential rain a few weeks ago ruined the carpet in there, so i put some new and the same thing happened a couple of days later!!! I've got no-one to fit it at the mo!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2009, 20:08:47 PM »
I dont think he can cope being locked in and reckon that he will have to be allowed to roam but know where to come for his food and comfort when he wants.

This is Sasa really but she likes her comforts far more than being outside all the time.

I have an old plastic greenhouse at the bottom of the garden and found that she had found a way in there LOL.

She goes out every night hunting and have seen her a few houses up the road sitting at the back but she always comes back to sleep eventually and she knows this is her home.

However when I tried to shut the flap at night she broke through and stayed away for a week........Misa knew where she was and eventually brought her home.

I think you need a shelter for him in your garden where you start feeding him at regular times, probably decided by him LOL, gradually bring the food closer to the house until he comes in to eat. Make sure he has a bed inside for when he wants..........I am assumiong you have a flap.

This is what Trigger is doing with Tosker and Tosker is now sleeping in a shelter every night but this has taken 8 weeks of pateince after he ran away as soon as she got him.

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2009, 20:00:46 PM »
Gill, i've known him since he was a baby and he's nearly 6.1/2 years old now, so he knows me pretty well!

I live in a bungalow and Ollie goes where he wants-don't they all lol. I have a spare bedroom which could be for GB but it seems to be Ollie's favourite place the last few weeks  i.e.on top of the folded up duvet, which desperately needs a wash now, but i haven't got the heart to do it!!!

He's lived outside since he was born in the factory, so how can he cope with being locked in?

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2009, 19:20:03 PM »
Tosker has been here more than 8 weeks now, Shirley, and has been back for food every single night - and is now gradually accepting what else I can offer apart from food

so I don't think he will have to be either wholly in or wholly out as long as he knows which side his bread is buttered
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2009, 18:15:14 PM »
One of mine is an ex feral Shirley, not even semi!  :shify:  He has coped so well and I have had him 3 yrs this yr!

If you have a spare room or at least one you could keep him in that your other cat does not go into that would be a good (half-way-house) for him!  ;)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2009, 18:04:38 PM »
I didnt realixe he wasnt trapped but it sounds like he likes you and wants to be with you.........cats always make the right decisions  ;D

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2009, 17:58:27 PM »
I think you may be right, Trigger lol!

I've always wanted to have him, and if i hadn't got my Ollie, i woud have. I'm just so scared that him and GB won't get on and one will get spooked and run away. Although, on Catchat, a lady i email has 5 cats and a semi feral since Feb, and things are ok there.

15 cats!!!!!!! OMG and i'm worried about having 2!!! Ollie is my first cat so i'm not very experienced, but i think i'm going to have a go, after all, there's no alternative-he'd escape from Cramar again and if he stayes at Penny's, there's still the dual carriageway to worry about. If he gets caught, Janet had suggested keeping him confined in their 'halfway house' as i call it-the stage before they actually go into the paddock-which would make it easier to confine him in my house!

He's got to be trapped yet.................................................                                            :givein:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2009, 17:30:52 PM »
I reckon he planned this latest adventure just to make sure he came home with you, Shirley :sneaky:
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2009, 16:21:48 PM »
Thank goodness you have found him Shirley - I think he defiantely belongs with you xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2009, 15:52:32 PM »
OMG!!! Just seen this!  :scared:

Does this mean now that the little fella is gonna be homed by you Shirley?  :wow:  Wish I could come and help you catch him!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Positive vibes yet again Shirley....I think in your heart of hearts you know that he belongs with you! I have 15 cats and some (well two) love to hate each other, but they do learn to live together so Im sure the problems will iron themselves out once all is settled!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

....Into the cage you go Mister!  ;)

Link to CatChat