Author Topic: Constipation query  (Read 2086 times)

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
Re: Constipation query
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 01:55:17 AM »
Hi Moira, how is gorgeous Truman?

Offline Fennella1

• Adult Cat
  • Fen
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 17:52:27 PM »
Hi Moira, lactulose works a treat. When my Joeycat (R.I.P) first came to me from CHAT He never went for about 4 days. I put a very small amount on his food and the nex ;) ;)t day he went. Joeycat was much better!

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 11:40:42 AM »
How is Truman doing hun?

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 20:10:26 PM »
Dinah also had very hard poos, I'd agree that it was related to her CRF rather than the Fortekor.  We mixed water in with her food and sprinkled Peridale granules in to her food as well (it bulks up the poo a bit).  She ate it without any problems.

Great to see him enjoying the sun.  :Luv:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 18:57:11 PM »
It is more likely the CRF than the Fortekor, it is common in CRF cats as the body draws fluid from everywhere and leaves hard poo, so it might be worth mixing water in with his food to increase his water consumption, as well as using Lactulose - I have molly on that, and despite being incredibly fussy with anything added to her food, she cant taste the LActulose, so would definitely try adding it to the food first, as it is incredibly sticky
Please spay your cat

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 18:24:10 PM »
Katalax is good stuff for constipation and/or furballs, however if Truman likes it make sure to remember to keep the tube well out of his reach as trust me the effects of a cat eating a whole tube of Katalax are rather horrendous  :sick: :sick: :sick:

Hope Truman's tummy is back to normal soon  :hug:
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 18:19:40 PM »
Aw bless him!  :Luv2:

Sending positive pooing vibes to help with darling Truman's tum~~~~~~ :hug:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 15:29:37 PM »
Memphis was massively constipated when he was being fed s/d after having his bladder unblocked. He was going every 3-4 days and his outgoings were rock hard. The vet gave him a tube of lax-a-past. I squirted 3/4-1 inch onto his food and it loosened him up nicely. He's back to going once a day now he's no longer on s/d.

Hope little Truman gets comfy soon.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 15:18:12 PM »
 :Luv2: dear Truman, glad he is finding his way Moira Schui was blind and he had no trouble finding his way around they do really well, hope his constipation is just a one off :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 13:12:45 PM »
It is so great that Truman is managing despite being blind! I don't think his constipation is the fortekor but is probably just his age and possibly diet. Foods like Hills k/d seem to unblock quite nicely! Whereas ordinary senior food not. I would definitely go for the lactulose as it is safe and it works well. (presume Truman would let you put a 1ml syringe in the corner of his mouth to squirt it in?). Watch out though as it is mega sticky stuff.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 13:02:17 PM »
What a little explorer  :Luv2:

You could ask your vet about lactulose, it's over the counter so if he is happy for you to try Truman on it you can get it from a regular chemist. 

http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#constipation

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 12:34:56 PM »
Clapton has never had any problem but Willow doesn't seem as regular since she started on it.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 11:23:07 AM »
Hunnie I have split and moved this post to here so you get more replies x

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Constipation query
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 11:19:57 AM »
poor Moira - looks as if you're heading for a litter tray in all four corners of your bedroom :sick:

delighted he is doing so well, but I think you may have to repeat the question re constipation in the health section, as this thread is a bit of the beaten track, as it were
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
Constipation query
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 10:51:06 AM »
Hi All

Took Truman out to the garden yesterday but he wasn't too impressed. He turned and walked back into the house, and, without any difficulty, found his way to the stairs. Being blind as a bat, it is amazing how good his homing instincts are. He was struggling to get up the stairs, however, and I had to carry him up. My bedroom is west facing so gets the sun in the afternoon. At 1:00pm the sun was just hitting the corner and Truman found the spot no bother and sat down there for a snooze. When I came back in at 3:00pm the sun had moved onto my bed - and so had Truman. I guess he figures why go outside to sit in the sun when the sun comes to you :)

I tried the tray and paper suggestion and it worked. However, just when I was going to take the litter tray away, blow me, he went and used that! Later he went and weed in a third corner of the room (which, luckily, I still had paper down).

His appetite is very good, he is drinking plenty and I'm sure he is gaining a little weight. I put that down to the Fortekor. I am a bit concerned, though, that he is very constipated. He didn't do a poo for 2 days and then this morning it was hard as bullets. Does anyone know if this is a common side effect of Fortekor? Any advice/suggestions?

Link to CatChat