Author Topic: HELP - what's the blue gel inside automatic feeder icepacks made from?  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: HELP - what's the blue gel inside automatic feeder icepacks made from?
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 09:43:48 AM »
Thanks for that Mark I AM NOT GOING TO PANIC, I AM NOT GOING TO PANIC.  I don't think he has had any, I think he just hooked it out to see if there was any food underneath it. All the stuff was underneath the pack and there were no blue footprints anywhere.  Just have to keep a watch and make sure it doesn't happen again.  This cat is worse than a two year old child, foot stuck in toaster, foot stuck in extra hood grille, automatic feeder pack, what next - don't tell me please, I don't want to think about it.  Thanks for taking the time and trouble to look it up, much appreciated :)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 09:36:08 AM »
It is the safer chemical they can (but don't) use in antifreeze. Safer doesn't mean safe though. I googled it with cats and found this http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/clerk/Tarigo/index.php

I found another site that said it is added to human and animal food to soften it but hasn't been used in cat food since 1992 when they discovered it is dangerous for them. So they do use anti-freeze after all  :scared:

As alcohol is the antidote, might be worth wiping the area with a bit of vodka or gin if you have any?

I think they might have told you it was safe as it is considered safe for humans. I have just been talking to my mum and told her about Alice's squirts on the floor by the tray this morning. She said her cat does it and mentioned that she uses dettol surface spray  :scared: - I told herit was dangerous and she said it said on the pack that it is OK for High-chairs so surely must be OK for cats. She is going to give it to my sister and go back to her old one (she can't remember the name but it says safe for per areas)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:40:42 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 08:50:39 AM »
Good for the Germans, emailing you back so quickly. I'm sure they'd not say it is safe unless it is (and you've got them saying it's safe on email which they would be aware is proof, should anything go wrong). TRY not to worry as Charlie is a real "toddler" isn't he?!  I'm sure all will be fine. You need to go outside and build a snowman and hurl snowballs at it methinks, work off some of the stress you poor love  :hug:  :hug: xxx

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 08:44:42 AM »
I think he will be fine .... the use those ice pack things in schools and nurseries on bruises and bumps, dont they?  (Ok - I know there are ice packs specifically designed for the job but Ive seen the freezer packs used to) - cant believe theyd use them in this day and age of claims etc if they were not safe ....  :hug: :hug: :hug: to you and that naughty Charlie!! :rofl:
People Power Works!!!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 08:28:45 AM »
They emailed me back very quickly.  It is propylene glycol and they say it is safe.  Have googled it and don't like some of what I have seen so will have to keep a close eye on Charlie boy! More worries

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 07:58:42 AM »
Oh my goodness you must have been scared stiff after everything thats happened and then this,i cant help with whats in the pak but im sending some positive vibes for calmness today :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 07:58:24 AM »
.  My first though was anti freeze but I quickly realised that was astupid thought, 

It was my first thought too  :shy: - until I realised that putting antifreeze into something you freeze didn't quite add up   :-:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 07:53:39 AM »
Thanks Mark, have emailed the manufacturer who are in Germany.  My first though was anti freeze but I quickly realised that was astupid thought,  This Charlie is a real nightmare.  Nothing is safe from him.  I will have to use the Cat Mate one more.  You would think that with it being a product used for animals it would be safe.  I need eyes all over my head (not just in the front and back) with Charlie boy.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 07:38:13 AM »
I have been googling and most say they are non-toxic, although I wouldn't trust anything from China. Is it a reputable brand? - maybe best to contact the manufacturer/importer. I think they must have safety data sheets for it?

I remember years ago there was something in the paper regarding a kids toy that contained water. When it was teste, there were microorganisms in it so they thought whoever made it must have just used dirty river water. Anyway, the least likely thing in an ice pack is antifreeze  :evillaugh:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
HELP - what's the blue gel inside automatic feeder icepacks made from?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 07:12:45 AM »
Charlie's done it again, when I got up this morning he had dragged the bowl out plus the ice pack and the ice pack had leaked on the floor.  Luckily it was under the pack but I need to know how to find out what the gel is just in case!

Link to CatChat