Author Topic: Told to 'get rid' of cats & 'get a life'. Grrrrrrrr's rant!  (Read 9105 times)

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
Re: Told to 'get rid' of cats & 'get a life'. Grrrrrrrr's rant!
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2009, 07:59:55 AM »

I tell people it was my religious upbringing Im a CAT-holic .......(Im not actually, Im C of E but it shuts people up!! :naughty:)

Thought you might like this...... :naughty:

Brilliant - and the thing is - the vicar would love it, too!!! :briggin: :rofl:
People Power Works!!!

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2009, 07:48:01 AM »
I had the same problem with a family member once!  Easily solved....

"when you start paying my bills,supporting me and paying for my animals.... then you have a say..... till then..... :censored: off"

Problem solved!!!
Dont worry about it hunny, she obviously has nothing better to do than dictate to you.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2009, 07:39:07 AM »
 :rofl:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2009, 01:24:29 AM »

I tell people it was my religious upbringing Im a CAT-holic .......(Im not actually, Im C of E but it shuts people up!! :naughty:)

Thought you might like this...... :naughty:

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2009, 00:03:49 AM »
I had an uncle who was a bit like that when I was a kid. 

After Felix disapeared for six weeks, and came back hurt, he never really wanted to go out any more - not like he used to.  This uncle told me that we should let 'it' out, so that 'it' could use the garden, and then we could get rid of the litter tray.
After Felix died he came round to bury him, at my Nana's request, and called Felix 'it' again. 

I don't remember ever actually talking to him properly again.....

I'm quite lucky now in the fact that all my friends like cats (or tolerate them quite happily).  The only ones who can't go near them are very allergic -and one of those got picked her wee dog because he was the closest she could get to a cat without it killing her!

Ignore the silly moo. 
She's obviously missing a part of her brain - the part that shows comapssion for another living being - be it animal or person.
If getting a life means being like that, I'd rather not have one.  Besides, as my Nana used to tell me when I was a kid - if you can't occupy yourself for a few hours, but always need more excitement (from going out and having a life), then you clearly don't have much 'up top'.....

Surely, whether you rescue cats as part of an organized shelter, or just do what you can with your own pets and donations, etc, you're doing something really good - surely that's a more worthwhile life than going out clubbing or whatever?

Anyway, she clearly doesn't get that most cats are nicer than lots of people anyhow.

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2009, 22:56:52 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that I rather enjoy 'life'

feeding the cats
playing with the cats
cuddling the cats
sleeping with the cats
talking baby talk with the cats
grooming the cats
taking photo's of the cats (what else is there)
dreaming about cats
making cat cards
purrs cat forum
goo gooing @ other cat pics
e-bay for cats
pets at home for cats
meeting people to chat to in cat isles of supermarket...& talking cat.

err is there anything else??

I LOVE LIFE having cats!

Errrrrr, going to cat shows and talking cat.....  :evillaugh:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2009, 20:02:32 PM »

:rofl: I'll run that past my mum next time I see her we argue about it

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2009, 20:01:57 PM »
at least unlike babies cats can see to their own toiletting and wash themselves  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2009, 19:57:43 PM »
Ive been unmaried with a cat and told to get a life ...........

Ive been married with several cats and told to get a life ..........

Im with my partner and two cats (best option yet! :Luv2:)  and told to get a life .....

Er..... I thought I had ..... :rofl: 

And as to people who say that I treat my cats like babies I probably treat them better than babies .... :briggin:

People Power Works!!!

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2009, 17:47:09 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that I rather enjoy 'life'

feeding the cats
playing with the cats
cuddling the cats
sleeping with the cats
talking baby talk with the cats
grooming the cats
taking photo's of the cats (what else is there)
dreaming about cats
making cat cards
purrs cat forum
goo gooing @ other cat pics
e-bay for cats
pets at home for cats
meeting people to chat to in cat isles of supermarket...& talking cat.

err is there anything else??

I LOVE LIFE having cats!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2009, 17:38:03 PM »
she probably fancies you Mark ... some people are a little slow on the uptake  ;)

Unlikely although she is 22 and her OH is 38  :-[

She was just trying to get a group together. She did say the other day that she is happier being in a group with Sarah and I as the people her own age who latched on early really bored her - she just seems to get on with old cronies  :evillaugh: - actually one of the band member is one of the tutors - a friend of her boyfriend.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2009, 16:22:32 PM »
Damn right Moira!

I tend to keep away from people like that (which includes my MIL & FIL- who have no empathy and understanding whatsoever)

Qualities such as empathy, understanding and compassion seem to be in such short supply nowadays as they are seen as signs of weakness in a capitalist world.

Personally I don't let intolerant people into my house, if I have no choice, then I tend to leave my OH to deal with his parents or I might come down with my terrible affliction of blunt honesty and tell them a few home truths about how perfect they truely are!  >:(

'I reject your reality and subsitute my own' as mythbusters say!  :evillaugh:

Offline moiramassey

• Adult Cat
  • Moira's Mitzi
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2009, 15:22:49 PM »
Reasons why people make rude and hurtful comments about other people's lifestyle choices

1. When a relative or 'friend' makes a comment like that it is often nothing to do with their 'concern' about their relative/'friend', it is about being mean.

2. Some people have no empathy and are incapable of understanding that other people do not think the way they do.

3. Some people conform to the norm because they see it as a way to be assured of social acceptance. They have often sacrificed what they really wanted in the quest for this acceptance. When they meet people who has followed their heart, and had the courage to live outside the box, they are jealous. They aren't jealous of the actual lifestyle, but of the willingness to be different.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 16:29:33 PM by moiramassey »

Blacken, Mini, Flynn and Mitzi
"One cat just leads to another" Ernest Hemingway

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2009, 15:00:59 PM »
she probably fancies you Mark ... some people are a little slow on the uptake  ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2009, 14:53:46 PM »
I assume other people's idea of "a life" is sitting around in pubs or clubs getting sloshed?  :evillaugh:

Something I don't mind once in a while - ie someone's birthday but it bores me to tears. One of the girls at uni can't understand why I wouldn't go to a "gig" at a pub. She thinks it odd that I am happy at home with the TV, nice food and the puds  :evillaugh: - she must have asked me 30 times over the last few weeks but finally got the message when I said I would rather stick needles in my eyes than spend an evening in a packed pub with loud music  :evillaugh: - I don't mind going to a local with friends where I can get a table and actually hear people talk though - not a complete hermit!

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2009, 14:51:12 PM »
the irony is that when you do have all that stuff (and a career to boot) you don't actually have any time to 'have a life' as maintaining the lifestyle dominates any such chance. Me I will stick to having a real life and let all that other stuff be sought by them as wants it - it is they who are using material possessions as a substitute for deep, soul-satisfying *living*

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 14:44:08 PM »
I get this all the time from my mother.
She keeps saying 'you can pack it in if it gets too much' and I try to smile sweetly and say, yes I know I can mother. If she really gets on my nerves I compare my 'calling' to her religion - she goes to church daily, says all sorts of prayers each day and is OTT catholic.
When I tell her that my hobby is as important to me as hers , she gets defensive , says I can't call religion a hobby then she does shut up.

people are often too quick to judge and think their lives are better and more meaningful that your own. I just tell them to butt out.

I don't want a show home, nice clothes, shopping sprees, holidays in posh hotels etc - to a certain extent I had all of that (as much as I wanted) when I had my 'career'.
My mother thinks if I had a lot of money I would revert to 'norma'l, but I point out to her that the only thing I would want to spend a lot of money on is setting up a proper cat home in Coventry and would then be even more 'up to my neck' than I am now.

I think some of it can be jealousy, every one should have something they are passionate about - be it cats, shoes or whatever and I feel sorry for those who do not.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 14:45:29 PM by Angie (covcats) »

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 14:22:33 PM »
One assumes this witch thinks "getting a life" involves swanning round other peoples houses, insulting and upsetting them and being mean to the "furry members" of the family  :censored: :censored: 

Gee I'm so pleased I have NO life in that case.  I would treat this poor excuse of a human being with the contempt she so rightly deserves and make it clear that your cats are your No 1 priority and your home is their home.  If she wants to visit again then she either needs to change her attitude or at least keep her opinions to herself otherwise she won't be welcome.

I totally understand that not everyone feels the same way about my cats I as do .. the same way I don't go all gooey over dogs or kids but I would never think of going round to my friends house and telling them to get rid of their kids / dogs / husbands / etc .... So RUDE!!!

Rise above it hun and know that there is only one person who is missing out by not recieving the unconditional love offered by a furry ... and it's NOT you  ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2009, 20:36:48 PM »
Me too Indys... though I'd have the £200 to spend on more cat beds & maybe some new jeans!!  :rofl:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2009, 20:35:12 PM »
I have no desire to go and hang around sweaty, drunken, horny fools and creepy old guys preying on young drunk slappers... where I live there seems to be no-one who can have a couple of drinks and a laugh, you judge how jgood a night out it was by how many hours you don't remember

If that's getting a life, I'll stay indoors thank you.

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 20:34:16 PM »
if you gave me a choice of a bag of chips and a night in with the cats or £200 to spend on food and drinks and packed me off to a nightclub... I'd stay in!

I have no desire to go and hang around sweaty, drunken, horny fools and creepy old guys preying on young drunk slappers... where I live there seems to be no-one who can have a couple of drinks and a laugh, you judge how jgood a night out it was by how many hours you don't remember

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2009, 20:14:41 PM »
Great philosophies from you all. At our happiest when with our fur family.

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 18:45:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure some of my friends and family think i should get out more :innocent: but the animals are part of my family and they have to accept that, they wouldn't dare say anything like that to me though. Any visitors get told they have to accept dog snogs too else the mutts get upset :shy: :evillaugh: Most don't mind tbh, Lucy actually has a queue of people who want to steal her from me. :Luv2: (they don't stand a chance, but it's a nice compliment 8))

If someone is really not an animal lover then they just aren't invited in. :naughty:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 18:31:23 PM »
Most of my friends are animal lovers , I only have one friend who wont come round because of the cats and thats only because she is severely allergic.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 18:29:29 PM »
People like that are not worth bothering with -just ignore  her -one of lifes  :censored: :censored: :censored:
I live alone ( also do not need to "get out more "! ) -been there and done it when i was younger !
I also hardly see anyone ( only family i have is a nearby older brother -see once a month -lives 15 miles away -and a older sister who lives in Wales -i see her once a year ) apart from when i go shopping.
It doesn''t bother me either -can live quite happily with my fur babies - my brother and sister occasionally comment -"you are always at the vet " or " not another cat bed/scratching post !"  i just ignore them now - cant be bothered to answer - they are my babies and i live for them - their needs and comforts always come first.
Tell her she is the "sad  :censored: :censored: " with no heart.

No-one like that is welcome in my house -in fact when someone ever says they don''t like cats - i suddenly don''t want to talk/listen to them any longer.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 18:31:06 PM by bunglycat »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 18:29:03 PM »
When she was going she told me to get rid of the cats & get a life! 

How silly.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 18:25:39 PM »
Oh tell her to   OFF !!

that was my exact first thought  :rofl:

she wouldnt be welcome in my house i'm afraid.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 18:16:57 PM »
Oh tell her to  :censored: OFF !!

Some of my friends think i am mad but "in a nice way" (well so they say  :evillaugh:)

honestly hun don't get it another moments thought ....her loss not yours xxxxx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 18:13:38 PM »
Agree with BC I get really pleased when I can have a few days indoors!  Take no notice of her - put salt in her tea next time she comes round, if, of course, you let her cross your doorstep

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 17:44:22 PM »
What a  :censored:!  Obviously take no notice of the silly cow!!

Couldn't have said it better. 

Shame she can't appreciate the love of a furry, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.  I don't know anyone who's that insensitive but there are a few who don't quite understand how much I love my boys and think (or would think if they knew) that I go a bit over the top with them.  They are my family and human friends/family/work colleagues etc can like it or lump it.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 17:30:21 PM »
YOu see I have never understood this obsession with 'getting out more'. I have always been more than happy staying in. Getting out more, or at least *needing* to get out more, is more a sign of having no life than choosing to stay in, I would have thought. Since if you can keep yourself amused staying in, then clearly you are a better, less emotionally needy, person than the one who has to go out and 'feed' their need for being out ... It has always been a source of great confusion to me ...

Totally agree - I can spend days indoors very busy and content

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 17:28:45 PM »
I have a strong suspicion that if you stand back and think about this woman and recall what information you have about her, what she is actually feeling is envy.  :sneaky: Maybe their is something about your relationship with your cats, or your circumstances or lifestyle, that she wants for herself deep down. And if she can't have it, the next best thing to do is smash it so no one can have it, isn't it?  :shify:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 17:24:51 PM »
YOu see I have never understood this obsession with 'getting out more'. I have always been more than happy staying in. Getting out more, or at least *needing* to get out more, is more a sign of having no life than choosing to stay in, I would have thought. Since if you can keep yourself amused staying in, then clearly you are a better, less emotionally needy, person than the one who has to go out and 'feed' their need for being out ... It has always been a source of great confusion to me ...

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 17:24:23 PM »
OMG what a hag, anyone like that I have know are no longer welcoe in my house, my hubbies best mate swife is anti cats and thinks she and her children will catch something and that my house is dirty becaus ei have cats so I have made it clear to everyone that she is no longer welcome in my house EVER - what made me giggle was her husband brought her kids around secretly to see the cats and they loved it   :evillaugh:

Mate do not waste your energies worry about that dried up old hag, she is missing out on the love of cats and thats her loss.  

They are your family as our my cats to me and everyone elses cats on Purrs.  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 17:21:56 PM »
I find this happens often >:(when people ask how many cats i have and i reply 8 plus the dogs they look at me in amazement and ask why on earth do i need that many cats,i try to explain they are my children as i have no family but they find it incredible  and say i really should get out more :evillaugh: :evillaugh:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 17:19:57 PM »
quick sprint around the block should clear you head!! ;)

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 17:14:18 PM »
Think I maybe at bit over sensitive.

IGNORED already.............. or has it? :rofl:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 17:14:55 PM by Purrlishious »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 17:11:17 PM »
Do any of you face cat discrimination with friends or family?

Not to that degree, no. I've had disagreements with my friends who've told me I'm "overprotective" when I put covers over open windows on the second floor. I'm also told fairly regularly I "baby" my cats by a couple of friends. I'm not really sure what they mean by that and quite frankly, I don't care!

I'm sorry your sister in law was so rude to you. She had no right to speak to you like that. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 17:10:57 PM »
Purrlicious, I feel sorry for your SIL. SOmeone who is unable to accept the affection and love of an animal is clearly losing so much love from their lives. Perhaps you should send her a sympathy card? :evillaugh:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 17:10:27 PM »
she is not worth worrying about and i would not allow someone like that in my home  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Link to CatChat