Author Topic: Tinned red/pink salmon prices etc  (Read 5650 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Tinned red/pink salmon prices etc
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 21:13:53 PM »
Thanks - I am going to limit Salmon - just to be sure  :Luv2:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 15:32:16 PM »
I didn't see anything regarding the difference between red and pink 

What species of salmon are canned?  Why is Red Sockeye salmon more expensive than Pink, Chum and Coho Salmon?  What are the differences between them?
Pink and Chum Salmon are available in greater numbers than Red Sockeye or Coho salmon, making them lesser in cost.  Red Sockeye salmon is known for its deeper red color, firmer texture, and higher oil content.  Coho or Silver salmon may also be known as Medium Red salmon.  It is a softer texture than Red salmon and has a light medium red color.  Pink Salmon is more delicately flavored and lighter in color.  Chum salmon, also known as Keta salmon, is also lighter in color but usually has a firmer texture than Pink.  All species are considered healthy sources of nutrition, such as Omega-3 fatty acids, and may be used interchangeably in most recipes.  Some consumers may prefer one specie over the others, depending on taste preferences.
Also taken from net:- They're two different species - "red" salmon, also known as sockeye, are Oncorhyncus nerka; pink salmon, also known as "humpback" or "humpies" due to the rather odd looking humped back characteristic of spawning males, are Oncorhyncus gorbuscha. I think the consensus is that of the two, reds are a better food fish. The other common Pacific salmon species are kings (Chinook) and coho (silvers), both of which seem to get better reviews than reds and pinks, and dog salmon (cohos), which seem to be at the bottom of everyone's list.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 12:32:02 PM »
I didn't see anything regarding the difference between red and pink but this is a bit worrying

From their FAQs
"I found something in my canned salmon that looks like glass - what is it?
On rare occasions, a crystalline structure may form in canned salmon.  This is magnesium ammonium phosphate, commonly known as “struvite”.  These naturally occurring crystals are considered harmless, although their similarity to glass is understandably alarming to the first time observer.  To check if your crystal is struvite instead of glass, simply simmer the crystals in vinegar for a few minutes.  Struvite will eventually dissolve, while glass will not.  For more information on struvite, you may wish to read the Food Products Association’s article at: http://www.fpa-food.org/content/consumers/crystals.asp"

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 10:36:19 AM »
is red that much better than pink?

May be of interest to you Mark http://www.ppsf.com/quality/index.aspx
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 19:31:00 PM »
Fred cat has had cod or coley cooked for him without fail from the day he moved in. :Luv2:

Everyday? :shify: :shify:

Mine like tuna and fish fingers,maybe they are the feline version of chavs :rofl: :rofl:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 19:25:50 PM »
Fred cat has had cod or coley cooked for him without fail from the day he moved in. :Luv2:

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 17:19:54 PM »
Mine don't like salmon - only tuna!  :innocent:

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 23:59:13 PM »
Ditto Mark
I do just the same...

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 08:14:11 AM »
Well I would if I had to - as long as my babies get what they want (as long as its good for them!  :evillaugh: )

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 23:27:34 PM »
We don't mind living off bread and jam do we Mark?  :evillaugh: :rofl: :Luv2:

I really would if I had to and I bet most of us would too.  :Luv2:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 23:17:24 PM »
Alice loves Salmon and Kylie loves tuna  :Luv2:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 22:59:15 PM »
I used to buy tinned salmon for Smudge and whenever it was on offer I used to buy red.  My mum always says that Red is a lot better than pink but I don't like salmon so I wouldn't know.

Something I've not tried Bonie on yet as she didn't like tinned tuna which I tried her with when I first got her as I had a cupboard full for Smudge.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 22:04:58 PM »
Just recently, I have been stocking up on tins of John West wild red Salmon as it was 1/2 price in Somerfield - around £1.40 a tin. When I went in Lidl the other day, they had thie own brand for £1.39 a tin normal price. They also had John West for £2.99  :Crazy: - The tins are virtually identical - ie Alaskan Wild Salmon stamped on the lid etc. The only real difference is that Lidl cans say they belong to a marine stewardship scheme. I also bought a big tin (400grams) of pink salmon for £1.59 - is red that much better than pink?

Anyway, the reason I posted here is because it is for Alice  :evillaugh:

Alice is one spoilt cat :Luv2:  Ours feel very deprived as they dont know what "real" salmon is :shify: shhhhhh dont tell them :evillaugh:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Tinned red/pink salmon prices etc
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 21:32:34 PM »
Just recently, I have been stocking up on tins of John West wild red Salmon as it was 1/2 price in Somerfield - around £1.40 a tin. When I went in Lidl the other day, they had thie own brand for £1.39 a tin normal price. They also had John West for £2.99  :Crazy: - The tins are virtually identical - ie Alaskan Wild Salmon stamped on the lid etc. The only real difference is that Lidl cans say they belong to a marine stewardship scheme. I also bought a big tin (400grams) of pink salmon for £1.59 - is red that much better than pink?

Anyway, the reason I posted here is because it is for Alice  :evillaugh:

Link to CatChat