Author Topic: The price we pay for our fur-babies  (Read 3309 times)

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
Re: The price we pay for our fur-babies
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 06:30:55 AM »
Hi all,

fingers have healed up but i have some really lovely scars that i think are going to stay with me a little longer!!!  :wow:
We went to Janine's on Saturday evening, and tried calling Felix, but no answer!  :(
She assured us that he was there that morning and did have a meal and a sleep in the den she has made in her garden.
We stayed around for a while calling him, but no luck.
She said that she has a friend of a friend who works for the RSPCA, and they are going to try and get to us a spring loaded box, to try and catch him.  So until we hear from the RSPCA person, he is still at Janine's.
She said that she has tried and tried to get close to him, but he is too scared of her.  She said that he is looking ok, and lets her know when he is there and ready for some food! (sounds exaclty like Felix..... nothing changes!)
Fingers crossed we hear from the spring loaded box people soon!

My mind is at rest knowing he is being looked after, and well fed.  I bought Janine a bunch of flowers to say thanks for everything. It was the least we could do.
Meanwhile...........
Co-co has discovered catnip! We bought a small tub, and i sprinnkled only a little on a ball we bought for the cats ages ago.. (that no one has decided to play with yet)  Co-co was all loving, and sexy!  Then laid on the ball, pinched it between his two back legs and jumped up and caught it with his front paws.!  (wheres the camera when you need it!) I have had to hide the tub, as i think Co-co is going to become quite addicted to it! 
Louie on the other hand, was totally different.  He didnt become playfull at all. He was very sexy, and was nattering away as he rubbed himself all over the ball, then went straight to bed!  (typical bloke!)  :evillaugh:
I didnt want to make catnip a regular thing! 
Is this any good for our babies?  or does it have any bad side effects? :-:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 01:38:03 AM »
Hi Sonnie,

Really sorry I seem to have missed this thread until now.  I was going to email you tonight to see if there was any news on Felix then I noticed this thread.

Really sorry to hear that fee-wee bit you .... I can imagine the pain ... I was bitten once by a rather scary semi feral kitten that I didn''t realise was feral until I picked it up and all of a sudden it turned into "tasmanine devil" all teeth and claws!!!!

It's great to hear that fee-wee is in the area and is being fed and looked after by Janine (what a lovely lady).  Wishing you lots of luck in getting you lad caught, back home and off to the vets ASAP ;)

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 23:53:16 PM »
Good luck for Saturday Sonnie. Hope you have suits of armor & steal gauntlets.

Get better soon  :get well 3:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 13:46:53 PM »
Ouchy that sounds painful!!!!
I too suffered a nasty cat bite years ago and it wasn't nice.

I hope you get Felix home soon though, and what a lovely lady looking after him.

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 13:28:45 PM »
Hola!

I have such a crap immune system, if someone has a cold 3 miles away, guarenteed within a day or two, i have it too!
I also have a HUGE phobia of needles which really doesnt help!  :scared:
I spoke to Janine this morning, she said that Fee-Wee is still there! :wow: yay!!!
She said that she has tried trpping him in the den she has made but he is too quick! and a clever  :censored:  HAHA!
we are going to try again on saturday evening, SO....

My baby might be coming home!  WOOHOO!!

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 20:28:58 PM »
at least Felix is being looked after, does he stay in the den the lady made him if she approaches? if so maybe she could place the trap over the entrance so only way out is into trap?

when handling Mabel I always get the odd scratch or bite but I found immediate surgical alcohol gel (stings like heck) and a trip to a&e for antibiotic jab I have so far never been put on a course of tablets or any level infection

then again I have a fairly good 'dirt' immune system after years handling wild animals I think...but still taking no chances

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 19:33:19 PM »
Keep taking the antibiotics, I use to work in A&E and have seen cat bites that have turned infected and the patients had to become inpatients needing IV antibiotics hun so take care ok.   Any problems go straight to A&E ok.

Definitely keep persevering with the cat trap as sounds to be the best way to get your baby home.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 19:26:37 PM »
Ouch! Good luck for the weekend i hope you get him, he will need to be grounded after his visit to the vet  ;)  Are your others done?

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 19:07:55 PM »
Good luck for the weekend.  Lucky Felix that he's found a lovely lady like Janine to look after him x

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 15:47:35 PM »
Fingers crossed for the weekend for you  :hug:

Glad your hands are a little better as well, it can take a while for infections like that to clear up.  A few years ago I was doing some tidying up in the garden and my finger was pricked through my glove.  I didn't think too much of it until I had an intense pain in my finger later in the evening (thought it was just a bit stiff from overuse), I was sent straight down to A&E for antibiotics and a tetanus jab, and told to go straight back if I saw it tracking up my arm at all.  I literally couldn't bend my finger at all for about a week, and it took well over a month and 2 courses of strong anti'bs to get full movement back in my finger!!!!  :shy:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 13:01:30 PM »
Well done janine, great lady  ;D

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 10:34:43 AM »
Thanks Gill,

Hands are better today, but still a bit painfull.
I just got a text from the lady who is feeding Felix, she said that she knows he is sleeping in the den she made for him in her garden, and he is using the cat bed she out in there.  He is eating well, and driving her mad with his constant talking!!
Im please Felix is still there, and Janine (the lady who is looking after him) has been absolutely fantastic, feeding him, making a shelter for him, and sending me updates via text,  I really dont know of anyone else who would go to this much trouble for an animal that doesnt belong to them, ;D
We are going to try and catch him this weekend, Fingers crossed everybody! :wow:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 23:30:37 PM »
Wow thats heavy dose of antibiotics and well done your doctor cos many do not understand the dangers of cat bites.

I really hope that Felix is back home very soon and look after yourself and those hands  :hug:

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 21:35:16 PM »
Hi all,
Thank you all so much for the get well messages, :wow:

Luckily the lady is feeding Fee-wee, so we know he is in one place, and staying there!

Doctor has given me antibiotics, 2000mgs a day! and its taking its toll and making me sick! :sick:
Hands are still very swollen, and now i have the bites turning yellow, ive checked with the doc and this is ok, as the infection is drawing to the surface.  Fingers crossed (not mine though!!! haha) i will be back to normal soon! ;D

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
  • R.I.P Jasmine 12/12/06 - 23/12/07
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 16:02:30 PM »
I hope your hands get better soon  :)
Come home for your mummy Felix

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Loving mum to Holly, Tilly, Molly and Taco

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 14:29:34 PM »
Ouchy, I hope your hands are much better soon, and that you manage to outwit Felix and bring him back home  :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 14:02:35 PM »
Oh poor you.  Hope you are feeling better soon and manage to persuade Felix to return home  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 13:58:20 PM »
I am pleased that you know where he is but being unneutered is gonna be a problem if there are any ladies in the area. Is the nice lady feeding him, cos that will help to get him to one place regularily.

Take care of your hands and if you start to feel ill, get to A&E pronto cos bad cat bites can be very dangerous. Hope that your doctor checked that youir tetenaus jab is up to date and gave you oine if necessary  :hug:

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 09:01:48 AM »
Thanks for the advice  :)

we tried trapping him when we moved with his fave fish, but the  :censored: is clever!  it didnt work!!
i will give it another go though, anythings worth a try ay!!   :evillaugh:
Going to leave it till saturday, then talk another walk up to where he is, fingers crossed it works, and then its straight to the vets for some ball chopping!!!  :evillaugh:   :rofl:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 08:09:07 AM »
I think Yvonne's idea is a good one Sonnie - will save your fingers as well!  I know lots of people use really smelly fish for trapping like pilchards

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 07:09:51 AM »
Good morning Sonnie,

So close yet so far.  Do you have a trap that you could use and put some tasty food in it?  It worked for me.
You may be able to borrow one form your local rescue if not it was well worth the £20 that I paid for it.

Hope your hand soon recovers from the infection, I have had a nasty cat bite as well.

Good luck.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
The price we pay for our fur-babies
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 05:14:04 AM »
Hi all,

You may or may not know, but I had lost my 2nd baby, Felix, last seen on christmas day.
I recieved a call from a lady saying she has been feeding a cat who turned up just after christmas, and judging my the posters i had put up, she was sure it was him.  So..... on saturday night, my and my hubby decided to walk to this lady's house and see if it was him.  After getting there and calling him a couple of times, we got a lil' reply, I saw him hiding under a car, :wow: we found him.
I know that Fee doesnt like being picked up, but once he came close, I thought this would be my one and only chance to grab him.  So i did...... stupidly. >:(
Felix went absolutely ape! I tried holding on but couldnt.... i let him go, he ran off... :scared:
My husband ran after him, but couldnt find him.
When Joe (my hubby) walked back over to me I was in such a state, crying on a strangers drive at 11.30pm is not the best way t spend a saturday evening!  :'(
Only when he asked if i was ok, i looked down at my hands, I was covered in blood.  Felix had bitten me so bad and deep, :sick:
I had to go, so we walked home, then i realised how bad my hands were. 
I know i shouldnt have picked him up and startled him, there were other ways of getting him in the cat box.
My left hand is now so swollen, and even after sinking my hands into tcp three times a day, nothing worked.  So yesterday Joe drives me to the doctor, who tells me my hands (both) have been badly infected and have gone septic.  GREAT!  :sick:
- dont drive, dont poke your hand in any way, dont lift anything, dont knock it anywhere, dont pick up any animals!  Lovely stuff!!  So im typing this with one finger, and my right hand!, i cant hug or stroke my other two babies, and Joe now dresses me in the mornings!   :yayyy:

I have since spoken to the lady he is bugging! and she has really been great.  We cant attempt another visit with my hands the way they are. 
This truely is the price we pay for our babies??

Link to CatChat