Author Topic: Firebolt is really ill!!!! - hypertrophic cardiomyopathy  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Firebolt is really ill!!!! - hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 19:09:53 PM »
Vets told me to limit his time outside but i feel so mean as he loves being out, try n keep him in when im not here but let him out while im in, no quality of life if he cant do something he loves is it? hope im doin the right thing.

My vet didnt say anything about limiting my Sam's time outside - he carries on as he did before, goes in and out as he pleases - although maybe not so active as he was and not as often at the moment as the weather's been yuk! Light exercise is good for heart cats anyway.

I'd definitely recommend joining the heart group I posted the link for - they are very knowleadgeable and were so helpful when I joined with all sorts of questions about Sam's condition.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 15:06:17 PM »
Sorry am I a bit late with the welcome but you're get good advice here.

Sorry to hear Firebolt is poorly

Offline sherbert-lemon

• Kitten
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 13:40:02 PM »
 :thanks: ever so much every1!!!!! Made me feel loads better reading all you're replies. Firebolt's on Forteker at the mo, and seems to have picked up a bit for now. Don't like it wen he has a funny turn tho, he pants with his little tongue out and its so scary, my daughter's really worried too, she's only 7 but understands, she likes treating him. Vets told me to limit his time outside but i feel so mean as he loves being out, try n keep him in when im not here but let him out while im in, no quality of life if he cant do something he loves is it? hope im doin the right thing. Luckily im entitled to PDSA treatment so i dont have to pay loads, gave them a massive donation tho after all the tests they did!!!  :hug: to all of you and  :thanks: all again  ;)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 07:35:00 AM »
Hope Firebolt is doing ok?

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 01:40:07 AM »
Smartie my boy has an enlarged heart - he is on fortekur - seems to be doing well on it -been rolling all over the kitchen floor tonight ! He is almost 12 years old - maybe worth looking into.
Welcome to purrs - you will gets loads of support on here .
Recognised the names straight away  ;)  - I am a big Harry Potter fan ! seen the films and read all the books -3 times !!
Sending some healing vibes and  :hug: :hug: to you and Firebolt.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 08:17:07 AM »
Fingers crossed it can be controlled and you can have some good times together.
Please spay your cat

Offline Essa

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 05:59:30 AM »
Bless you both ...so so hard when they have something serious  like this, whatever it is the emotions you go through are just as roller coaster , just as difficult...you are doing your very best for your baby, thank god you are there for him  - and remember , we aren't sent anythin unless we can handle it - you have been sent your babies because you are the mum that they need ... i am sure that everyone on here will be thinking of you and there is so much support on here that you may have stumbled upon something great out of something that feels not so great ... keep sharing it will help ... :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 00:57:34 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, sorry you've found us in such worrying times  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 23:05:17 PM »
Hi, im new here and stubbled on this website by mistake looking for info on an illness my cat, Firebolt, has. It hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, basically an enlargment of the heart. He's on meds but not so good at the mo, just wanted to get it all down, takes my mind off it. If anyone has any advice or has been through something similar you're welcome to contact me.

Welcome  :welcome: Sorry its under these circumstances though. My Sam was diagnosed with HCM in August last year, he was quite poorly and was open mouth breathing with fluid build up in his chest. He had the fluid drained and was put on fortekor and diuretics. It took a bit of juggling to see what dose of diuretics he should have (as he also has early renal failure) to avoid dehydration, but he's on half lasix every day. A while back I thought the fluid was building up again and his diuretics were increased for a few days and since then I've started him on a regime of rutin (to prevent chylous fluid build up) and taurine (with my vets agreement) and he's been doing fine since.

What meds is Firebolt on?

I'd recommend joining the feline heart group, lots of peeps on there in the same boat with much good info http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart/

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 19:59:20 PM »
Can't give you any advice but can give you a much needed  :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 19:59:01 PM »
Hi and  :welcome: to Purrs,

So sorry to hear about Firebolt and the sad loss of Nimbus and your other kitty  :(.

There are several members on here who will be able to give you advice on Firebolts condition but in the meantime if you go to the home page and type hypertrophic cardiomyopathy into the search box it will bring up all previous threads that have mentioned this condition.  :hug:

Sending lots of love and cuddles to Firebolt and a big  :hug: to you.

Regards

Sam, Foxy, Zephyr and Rossi xxxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Firebolt is really ill!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 19:54:17 PM »
Never give up, they need our help cos they cant help themselves and am sure someone will know about this.  :hug: :hug:

I take it you have spoken with your vet?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 19:27:51 PM »
If this is moved boards it would be good (hint hint lol)

There are members with experience of HCM so hopefully they can help you

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 18:48:15 PM »
Hunnie I have just lost two of my cats in the last month, one with a brain haemorrage and one with a brain tumour so I understand your pain but don't give up ever - you have found Purrs and you will find so much support here from everyone.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 18:46:11 PM »
Hi  :welcome: to Purrs, im sorry to hear about Firebolt,its must really hard for you loosing your other furbabes :(   as well but you will recieve lots of support on here  :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline sherbert-lemon

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 18:15:44 PM »
Thanx ever so much, don't seem to have a lot of luck with cats!!! Firebolts brother nimbus got knocked down a year ago (If your wondering bout the names, Harry Potters broomsticks). Got a second kitten after firebolt became really depressed and everything was fine, but he died suddenly at one year old from a brain haemorrage, now this thing with firebolt (its genetic at least) think im going to give it up as a bad job

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 18:11:11 PM »
Just wanted to say welcome to Purrs and sorry to hear about Firebolt, you will definately get lots of support on Purrs from everyone hunnie x

Offline sherbert-lemon

• Kitten
Firebolt is really ill!!!! - hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 18:09:01 PM »
Hi, im new here and stubbled on this website by mistake looking for info on an illness my cat, Firebolt, has. It hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, basically an enlargment of the heart. He's on meds but not so good at the mo, just wanted to get it all down, takes my mind off it. If anyone has any advice or has been through something similar you're welcome to contact me.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 19:54:40 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »

Link to CatChat