Author Topic: Play fighting??  (Read 1306 times)

Offline kp76

• Adult Cat
Re: Play fighting??
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 21:51:11 PM »
After watching them today, it's definately the cat equivalent of tag. Alfie, my 9 month old, is at the moment sneaking up to the footstool that Storm is sat on. Waiting for her to pounce then running away. Lol. It's nice to watch them playing even if it is quite boisterous. They must be feeling more settled.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 16:40:15 PM »
Poppy and Elvis do this all the time, occasionally Bunty who is over 15 years of age will do this to the younger ones :evillaugh:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 16:19:38 PM »
same here with Esther and Smidgen, But if Esther won't play, then Smidgen just picks on the dog instead  :Luv: They do, however, from time to time, sound quite fearsome so unless one is showing signs of stress, I would not intervene...

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 16:13:23 PM »
Sounds normal to me as well ... Zephyr (aged 6) often walks up to Rossi (aged 2) and pounces on her ... lots of hissing and squealing from Rossi so Zephyr lets her go then she bops him one and pounces on him!  :rofl:  and so the game continues.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 16:01:24 PM »
Nina and Edgar do this now  - he usually chases her and he is 12!!!!  :evillaugh: Then she chases back and he hides!! lol!! No hissing though and when they arent chasing each other they are grooming each other so I think it is all love!!
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 09:43:58 AM »
We have opposite "problem" (not a problem really). Freddie is about 5 and runs up to Noni aged 2 and sort of touches her with his paw and does a runner. Most times she runs after him and gives him what appears to be a good hiding, he often ends up squeaking and it stops..... for maybe a minute when he starts it all over again   :Crazy:  Quite a lot of white fluffy fur on our red carpet nowadays  :naughty:

Sounds like what your 2 are up to is quite normal. Perhaps boys are generally more playful than girls?

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 08:23:45 AM »
That sounds fairly normal to me and is more than likely just play, on your 9 month old's part anyway.  He's still a kitten and will be wanting to play but it sounds as though your 4 year old is not wanting to play so is telling him to  :censored: off by hissing.  The swipey paws thing and chasing probably has a play component.  Just keep an eye on them to make sure he doesn't go too far and stress her out, and try to distract him with toys if he is bothering her.  Tire him out as much as you can so that he has less energy for bothering her.  It's the same with my 2 as I have one young cat and one older.  The younger one is always wanting to play and chasing the older one who doesn't always want it.

Offline kp76

• Adult Cat
Play fighting??
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 00:52:30 AM »
I have a 9 month old tom & a 4 year old queen cat. Both are neutered & indoor only cats. The 9 month old seems to provoke the 4 year old into fighting. They don't seem to do much damage to each other, normally it's hissing, a few swipes of paws, a few bites & lots of chasing. Is this normal behaviour?

Link to CatChat