Author Topic: Found, little black cat.  (Read 3901 times)

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
Re: Found, little black cat.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 19:43:50 PM »
Well I felt so sorry for the little guy today because everytime I tried to get near him he ran and hid. He was huddled under any bit of furniture he could find, he was miserable. I finally managed to grab him, he sat on my lap shaking like a leaf until finally he calmed down. So I carried him downstairs and got the big cat-carrier out. My other guys were outside so I let him sit with me on the sofa. He sat very happily for ages, getting warm and snuggly so when I needed to get up, I put him in the carrier so he could still be with me but was safe from harm. We had a lovely few hours on the sofa but eventually he got frisky and suddenly ran off and I had the devil of a time to catch him again! I have put him back in the room upstairs which is a shame as I had hoped to have him downstairs longer but he's now behaving like I'm his worst enemy!  I guess he's confused. Still I'm going to persevere for a few days longer as my OH will be home in a week's time. The shelter is still an option but I would like to give him a chance to live here.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 17:03:23 PM »
That all sounds purrrrfect........good luck with the intros  ;D

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 07:21:23 AM »
These girls are teenagers and I quite agree that it's not a good idea just to pick up cats. However, because of my limited French I was not able to understand the whole story and frankly, I just reacted to the apparent need to house the kitten at least temporarily. I'm going to try to get more details today and if possible, I will have the girls return to the area with posters but, I don't have high hopes. Yes, they do chip cats here but, he's very young and I can't feel a chip in his neck. ( here, they insert the chip in the side of the neck and it's usually possible to feel it). I will take him to the vet next week to check if he does have one, plus I will leve my details with them in case someone is looking.  I've been going to spend time with him and he's naturally rather skittish however, eventually he will sit on my lap and purr. I'm gong to carry him downstairs and introduce him to my guys to at least see their reaction. I won't let him loose though until I'm sure he will be safe with them. If all else fails , the shelter that I have in mind is very good, they will keep him until he finds a new home.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 23:26:13 PM »
Do they chip cats in France cos it may be worth taking him to be checked , if they do.

Beast to keep nhim seperated and think as long as you give him time and play with him etc he shopuld be Ok. But I also agree not good when children pick up cats cos they dont see it from a human pespective.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 23:04:14 PM »
oh no what if he is someones baby ?

it always worries me when children pick up a cat !

Is there anyway you can put up some posters or contact people

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
Found, little black cat.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 19:13:59 PM »
My neighbour's daughter and her friends found a little black cat in a nearby town. I should explain that we live in rural France and my command of the language is dire! Anyway, they brought it to me because they know I have 2 cats already. I was not able to understand exactly the circumstances of where they found it. Anyway, in the absence of any other solution, I have brought him in and he is now in a spare bedroom with a tray, food and water. He seems to be in good condition, I estimate his age at less than a year. He's not feral , he did let me stroke him. My 2 boys are outside at the moment so they have not seen him and I would like to keep them apart until I decide my best course of action. I was thinking about telling the vet's that he is here in case someone is looking. Do you think that it will be ok to keep him confined to one room for maybe a week? My OH is way until the end of the month and I'd like to discuss it with him. If we don't keep him, we could take him to the shelter from where we adopted our 2 boys.   This is all very sudden and I'm a bit at a loss and need some time to mull things over. :thanks:

Link to CatChat