Author Topic: Lost male cat, Long Eaton, Nottingham - NOW FOUND  (Read 23998 times)

Offline babyalfie

• Adult Cat
Re: Lost male cat, Long Eaton, Nottingham - NOW FOUND
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2008, 18:46:40 PM »
Well today, the ginger cat spotted was on the scene again, after seeing him it was not actually my Alfie. It was such a look-a-like but not my baby.
So back to square one again.

Unfortunatly Alfie doesnt have a collar or microtag. To be honest, i think if he returns i will try to get some high tech tracking device if something like that exists cos this would be perfect right now.

Thanks for your advice and support.

PS im glad Basil was found, and feel like i have hijacked someone elses forum posting here, so here is the one i created:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=18170.new;topicseen#new
Thanks again.

Offline Skates

• Adult Cat
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2008, 09:43:13 AM »
I was new to this forum when I posted about Basil going missing and everybody was lovely and so supportive.  I've never had a cat go missing before and the pain I was feeling was horrible but this forum definitely helped me.

My Basil was found 6 miles away but luckily enough someone phoned the number on his tag as he went in her house on the Saturday night for food and again on the Sunday.  They wasn't sure if he was just new to the area or whether he was lost, I'm so grateful they decided to phone though!

Is Alfie wearing a tag?  I can't believe that someone was looking after him and let him out, you must be so mad at them!  I bet Alfie is trying to make his way back to yours.  Cat's are normally quite good at making their way back so I bet you do get him back.

I'd definitely put posters through letter boxes as well as putting them up on lamposts near yours and on the way to where he was when he got lost.  Could you put an advert in the local paper as well?  I did that for Basil in case he'd gone quite far (which he had).

I will definitely keep looking out on this forum to see if you've got him back, I've got a good feeling and think he's making his way back to you. xx

Offline babyalfie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2008, 20:58:43 PM »
Thanks for the support, i'm new to this forum and everyone seems so helpful.
Its great to hear about success stories like Basil's return.

I have put posters up in the vicinity of where Alfie dissapeared, but listening to your advice i will produce smaller leaflets and post them. Early this morning a lady phoned to say she thought he was in her garden, but when i got to the house about half an hour later, the mystery cat had gone.  :scared: I hope it was Alfie. After work i returned to the area but again, no ginger cat to be seen. The lady who called me was very nice and allowed me to put a blanket of Alfies and some food in their garage. Another hope is that the lady said the ginger cat was playing with an cat she was familiar with, if it is Alfie, hopefully a new friend may keep him in the area.

Alfie was being 'looked after' at a friend's house whilst i was on holiday, but their idot boyfriend let Alfie out almost straight away. My firend's house is a good few miles from my house but the place where the possible sighting of Alfie was in the right direction of my house, so my baby boy could be trying to make his way home. If it was him, he has already travelled about a mile, but is only about a fifth of the way home, with the city centre main roads in between. I will do all i can to get him back these next few days could be cruicial.

Thanks again for everyone's support and i will keep you posted.
Obviously if anyone reading this lives in the Shipley to Bradford area, please let me know if you see my Alfie.

Offline Skates

• Adult Cat
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2008, 09:19:16 AM »
Sorry I've only just replied, I wasn't logged on last night.  Basil was missing for a week but please do not give up hope of getting Alfie back.  Have you put up more leaflets etc?  I was out most nights putting up leaflets, looking for Basil, shouting for him etc.

I know how you feel and it's a horrible feeling not knowing where they are.  But please, please do not give up hope xx

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2008, 21:56:47 PM »
babyalfie we never give up on here  :hug: . There are some lovely stories of reunited puds, I hope you become one of them soon xx
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline babyalfie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2008, 21:05:12 PM »
Hi i have just been reading your story and wandering how long your cat was missing for????

Alfie has been gone 16 days now and i'm heart broken, can't stop crying!! I'm giving up hope of finding him now  :(

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2008, 21:51:21 PM »
Ahhhh poor Basil ... so sorry to hear he has been poorly (and has cost you a small fortune!).  By the sounds of things he is feeling better now though :)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2008, 12:30:12 PM »
I've just seen this post and pleased he is back safe and sound.  Sorry to hear about his abscess.  Sure the antibiotics will work wonders.

PS he is lovely  :Luv2:

Offline Skates

• Adult Cat
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2008, 09:55:40 AM »
Well I've had fun and games with Basil over the last week!  Took him to the vets on Tuesday for his yearly injections and a check up and they said he seemed fine apart from him losing weight from his week away.

Then on Thursday morning he didn't seem himself and didn't move from my bed when I get up.  Normally he wakes me up wanting food and goes mental until I feed him.  I thought it was just an after effect from his week away and his injections, so didn't think too much of it.  Dad was round doing work on my house during the day on Thursday and he said that Basil hardly moved from my bed which really isn't like him.  I got home Thursday night and he was still on my bed.  He started to walk across my bed and he couldn't put any pressure on his front left paw and it was like he couldn't straighten it.  I rang the vets straight away and got an appointment for that night.  The vet said that it could either be an abscess or he could have broken some of his cartlidges from when he went missing and the only way to find out would be to sedate him and give him an x-ray.  If it was just an abscess then they could sort it out that night and I could bring him home but if it was damaged/broken cartilidges he would have to stay in over night and have an operation.

They rang me a bit later on and said that it was a really bad abscess and that it probably happened when he went missing and it's just slowly got worse.  They had to cut it open, drain it and then they've stapled it back together.  He wasn't himself for a few days but he's on 2 different kinds of antibiotics and is definitely a lot better as he's wanting to go out.  The vet told me to keep him in for a few days but it's getting harder and harder to keep him in as he's howling at his cat flap!  Going to the vets for a check up tonight but he definitely seems more like himself, so think he is definitely getting better.

So Basil's trip away has cost me £201 :-(  He is insured but it doesn't cover for any claims for the first 14 days of the policy and I've only just taken out the new policy - typical!!

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2008, 15:39:35 PM »
Brill thanks.  I will speak to my mum and dad about when they can bring me up and I'll come and have a look.  What are your opening hours please?

I think they're around 11-3ish. It's all volunteer-run so try to call first if you can. The phone number's on the CatChat page (link on my sig). I don't really like putting numbers in the public bit of the forum but I can pm you if you can't find it.

Let me know when you're thinking of popping up. I should think I'll be there a week on Sat. One of the coordinators is on holiday so that's why I'm being a bit ambiguous about what we have in. I'll call at the back end of next week and see what's there. We're not the biggest shelter in the world so there's no point in you coming all that way for no reason!

As I live further away than would be ideal, I tend to do internet and fundraising stuff rather than 'hands on' stuff. I do my share of poop scooping at another rescue closer to me. It's a long-term shelter and they're all permanent residents for one reason or another.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2008, 15:09:26 PM »
Ahhh what a little cutie ... (just sneaked on here in the middle of my training course :evillaugh:)

Offline Skates

• Adult Cat
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2008, 13:36:33 PM »
Brill thanks.  I will speak to my mum and dad about when they can bring me up and I'll come and have a look.  What are your opening hours please?

Here's a few more pictures of my little baby.  As you can see he likes to pose!!

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2008, 13:24:17 PM »
I'm a few junctions up the m1 from you, at j28 and Ashfield CP is up at junction 29.

Our CatChat page isn't quite up to date at the moment as we're waiting for a couple of things. We have a number of kittens  and a  couple of black females as well as Marmaduke, the ginger boy.

You are most welcome to come and visit us but let me know if and when and I'll see what we have in.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2008, 12:41:25 PM »
We need photos hun, I need to see more of this little furbaby now safely home :)

Offline Skates

• Adult Cat
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2008, 12:25:50 PM »
Thanks, I'll have a search for that post.  My garden is fairly big, so think he'd be happy enough if he was just allowed in there.  And I wouldn't have to worry about anything happening to him or him going missing again.

My biggest fear was him getting run over, so would definitely be worth it in the long run.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2008, 12:22:21 PM »
we used metal straps (that is what they're called honest!) from Wickes and clematis netting it cost about £100 for 60 ft by 40 ft garden and I now have climbing roses all over it so it looks quite nice - there is somebody on the board called Roz who has a professional system, if you search under cat proofing you would probably come across a post about it with photos I know lots of people have the system - Algie was killed on the road which is what made us do it in the end and I think Tan and Gail did it for the same reason

Offline Skates

• Adult Cat
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2008, 12:19:29 PM »
Really!??  I can't believe that!  Cat's can be so naughty!!

How did you cat proof your garden?  I might look into that because I can't be worrying about my baby everyday!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2008, 12:14:02 PM »
I know what you mean - before we catproofed the garden our two boys were a nightmare, we were having drinks and nibbles in our neighbours house one day (a quite uptight lady who makes you take your shoes off!!) and next thing I turned around and Algie was on the table with the nibbles!!!!  he was so confident he'd go anywhere I had to get him from behind a man about 10 doors down wardrobe once as well

Offline Skates

• Adult Cat
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2008, 12:08:17 PM »
Thank you, I'll have a look on that link.

Think Corporal Smokey must be in my area as they mentioned a couple of cats they had, so fingers crossed.  Just hope it's the right thing to do for Basil as well, don't want to push him away and go into people's houses even more!!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2008, 12:04:16 PM »
have you looked on catchat?

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html

it will have local resuces listed, also I think Corporal Smokey is in your area, she might know of somebody - my geography is a bit bad so can't think of anyone else but that doesn't mean they don't exist!  glad basil is ok though

Offline Skates

• Adult Cat
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2008, 12:01:29 PM »
 :thanks:

Took Basil to the vets yesterday for his injections and a quick check over.  The vet said that he seemed fine apart from losing a bit of weight, so that's good!  She said that I could let him out again if I wanted.  I kept him in yesterday and last night and let him out this morning.  He'd only been out 10 minutes when a neighbour came round saying that he'd been in their garden and was playing with their cats - this is the neighbour who's house Basil goes inside and plays with their cats.  He's a little monster!  Only been out 10 minutes and he was straight round there.

I'm trying not to worry about him being out but it's hard.  My mum is going to go round during the day today to check up on him and to see if he's been back for some food.  He'd better come back, I can't have another week like last week!

I spoke to the vets about getting another cat.  She wasn't the most helpful to be fair!  She thinks that as Basil is a young cat, then he'd probably be ok.  So I'm thinking that I might try and get a cat that's around the same age as Basil (he was one in June).  Does anyone know of anywhere that has got a cat around that age?

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2008, 21:40:52 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: of joy

Going on my hols tomorrow and this is just the bestest news. I am so happy you and you lad are reunited.

NOW Basil... dont you EVER do that again. Your Mummy was worried sick. Now go give Mummy so loving headbutts. ( I'm sure she forgives you  ;) )
FANTASTIC news xxxxxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Skates

• Adult Cat
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2008, 16:18:26 PM »
I will let you all know what the vets say about getting him a furry friend and will definitely contact you if he thinks it's a good idea.

I finish work in an hour and I can't wait to get home to see Basil, felt bad leaving him this morning bless him.

I'm sure that even though it's throwing it down with rain outside he'll still try and get out the little monster!!

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2008, 16:12:34 PM »
I know the ginger cat Corporal Smokey is talking about and he is such a beauty:)   

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2008, 13:54:36 PM »
Wow 6 miles!  I am so pleased he is back home and would definately keep him in for a while.

I think that once he has resettled in his home then maybe a friend could be helpful.

Just so pleased he is home  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2008, 13:31:16 PM »

I'm going to speak to the vets tomorrow about maybe getting him another cat. 

I know of a wonderful ginger softie who's looking for a nice home...

He is quite big though.

We have a couple of young black females too. They're not on the website yet though as one has kittens and the other hasn't been in long enough.

Let us know if and when you decide to get him a friend and the mighty Purrs taskforce will match you with the right pud.

I'd be inclined to let him settle back in and get back into a routine before introducing any new faces but it sounds to me like you're going to get some good advice from your vet. Best of luck hun.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2008, 12:52:34 PM »
Brilliant news hun, made my day :)

Offline Skates

• Adult Cat
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2008, 10:55:32 AM »
Thank you all so much for your nice messages.  I'm glad I found this forum, it's brill!!

You've all been a great help in the week that he was missing.  It was the longest week of my life!!

I found out that he's been going in other houses and playing with their cats, so I'm going to speak to the vets tomorrow about maybe getting him another cat.  Want to speak to the vets first as I don't want to distress Basil anymore and make him go away again.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2008, 10:51:57 AM »
Fantastic news  :wow:  Have been following this thread hoping to hear good news  ;D

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2008, 10:37:49 AM »
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Great news!!

Offline Skates

• Adult Cat
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2008, 10:14:32 AM »
Thank you.  I did try to edit the title but for some reason it never worked for me.

Hopefully this little adventure would have stopped him from being such a nosey little parker, so hopefully this won't happen again!  Not good for my nerves  :rofl:

I will definitely stay on the forum, everyone has been lovely with what has happened with Basil etc.  Will post some more pictures of him very soon as I've been taking quite a lot of him since he's been back!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2008, 10:07:33 AM »
Woo Hoo ... what wonderful news.  I'm so pleased Basil is back home safe and well :)  (I have edited the title of the thread to let everyone know!).

6 miles is quiet a long way for a kitty to wander so I would suspect he got into a van/car.

He was a little bit late to celebrate but your birthday but I'm sure he will make it up to you  ;)

I hope you decide to stay on the forum and we look forward to seeing lots more pics of the handsome little fella.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 10:08:25 AM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »

Offline Skates

• Adult Cat
Re: Lost male cat, Long Eaton, Nottingham
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
I'm not sure.  The search company said that he might have got into a car or something.  He's always been one for going out, so I just don't know whether he lost his bearings as he went out about midnight on the night he went missing.

I've just booked him in the vets tomorrow night for his booster injections etc, so I'm going to ask them to give him a look over and ask them about keeping him inside for a bit.  The receptionist said to keep him inside until he's at least been to the vets tomorrow night.  Going to be fun and games as he doesn't like being locked in.  He can break through his cat flat so I've had to put lots of heavy things in front of it today so he can't get out!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2008, 09:47:48 AM »
I'd keep him in if it was me, don't know what the right thing to do is but its my instinct that I would, he probably hasn't been eating as well as usual so I'm sure having proper food will distract him for a bit, do you think he got into a car or something??

Offline Skates

• Adult Cat
Re: Lost male cat, Long Eaton, Nottingham - FOUND!
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2008, 09:45:46 AM »
Thank you, it's the best news ever.  It's been brilliant having him back home and having lots of kisses and cuddles with him.

Do you think it's right to try and keep him in for a few days?  Don't want to cause him anymore distress than what he's already been through.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2008, 09:43:07 AM »
fantastic news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Skates

• Adult Cat
Re: Lost male cat, Long Eaton, Nottingham - FOUND!
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2008, 09:17:13 AM »
I've got the best news ever - Basil has been found!!  I had a false alarm yesterday morning from the search company saying that someone had found a cat and it could be Basil but it wasn't :-(

Then I had a phone call from the Missing Pets Bureau yesterday afternoon saying that he'd been found!  He was 6 miles away!!  The lady who found him said that he went round their house about midnight on Saturday night and had some food and then he turned up again yesterday.  She wasn't sure if he was just new to the area but she thought she'd give the number a call on his tag and I'm so pleased she did!!

She was lovely and brought him back for me yesterday.  He seems ok, lost quite a bit of weight though bless him.  He was very loving yesterday and kept following me around the house.  He wanted to go out this morning but I'm trying to keep him in for a few days, do you think that's the right thing to do?

He needs to go to the vets this week for his injections etc, so I'm going to get them to check him over and make sure he's ok.

I'm so relieved!!!

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2008, 21:41:01 PM »
Keep going round all the houses until the neighbours think you're bonkers and then do it again! Good luck finding him  :hug:

Hey one of my neighbours still think I am bonkers after they saw me night after night looking for Bunty with unwashed hair, swollen eyes from crying and rattling food - dn't think the bloke has ever looked at me the same but sod em I got Bunster back and they sing kareoki  :evillaugh:   Sweetie don't feel shy about going round - I'#ll come over from Sutton in Ashfield to help you one evening if you think it would help?   Let me know x

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2008, 17:55:09 PM »
Keep going round all the houses until the neighbours think you're bonkers and then do it again! Good luck finding him  :hug:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2008, 12:22:50 PM »
Yes go out at night rattling him food or tapping a tin.

Link to CatChat