Author Topic: Lets make next year a better one  (Read 4409 times)

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
Re: Lets make next year a better one
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 23:19:40 PM »
What a brill idea I'm sure there is someone on here that is a legal eagle  ;)

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 23:08:45 PM »
We need someone au fait with the Betting and Gaming Act....or whatever it's called. 
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 22:58:27 PM »
Great idea Roz OO i hope it can happen it would be great.

Now we need a a brainy cat lover that knows how to go about it.  Any lawyers on ere?

Hey anyone heard from Nina who was on CC?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 22:50:55 PM »
That would be soo wonderful Roz, wonder if there are people on here that could look into it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 22:43:40 PM »
Thats a great idea Roz, I wonder if it would be legal. The problem of course would be to convince people that it was legit as there are so many lottery scams running on the internet.

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 22:37:04 PM »
You know what....we should look into the possibilities of an Internet Lottery for Animal Welfare.  I know the government has all sorts of regulations and restrictions on gambling and there are on-line gambling laws but equally the Internet has a lot of freedom denied to other outlets.

It would generate vast amounts of money....and all the profits would go to the animals.

I wonder if it would be possible?  I've been thinking about it for a long time now.

I know someone who could write all the software but he would need other people or a team to research all the problems/restrictions.

I dare say such a thing would not be allowed but wouldn't it be wonderful if it could be achieved?

Best wishes

Roz
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 22:24:22 PM »
I just thought I would bump this one up as we have had so many members since the thread was started.
Please spay your cat

Offline ajay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 20:01:55 PM »
Good idea Desley! I don,t foster or anything, but like you say, just a few extra tins at the supermarket etc......that really is a great idea.I,ll definately make more effort this year.....thanks x j

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 16:32:39 PM »
I think that's a wonderful resolution, Desley and as Teresa says, even if someone isn't exactly awash with dosh for the moment, there's always something he or she can do to help.

I've signed your pledge  :Luv:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 16:20:38 PM »
That's a really good idea Desley.  I already have a big plantpot that I throw small change into but I never do anything with it.  There must be a fair amount in there by now so its just a matter of delivering it somewhere.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 10:53:14 AM »
One of the things thats really been a big help to my little rescue this year has been the clever people who bargain spot.
Things like offers on the natures menu, the Lidl scratching posts, not a lot of time to shop around when you do rescue so a big Thanks to people who point us to these good buys Please Please continue.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 10:54:08 AM by Teresa Pawcats »

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 10:41:54 AM »
I donate to about 15 different animal charities a few times a year and to add to that I decided this year to keep all my unwanted things in the garage and took them to different cat shelters throughout the year and I'll do the same this year.  If we can all help a bit it's definitely worth it.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 15:38:30 PM »
Great post Des ... I agree every little helps.  I have decided I will be donating all the beef flavoured felix pouches I get (my lot refuse to eat beef flavoured but love the other meaty flavours) to a local rescue near me.  It's not much but it all helps.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 09:37:17 AM »
Great post Desley, if everyone does something, no matter how small, the overall result will be huge, and that can only be a good thing.

I'm going to try and do a bit more for my local CP this year, even if its just donating spare pennies, food, whatever I can spare really.

I'm also going to carry on my crusade with them to help FIV+ puds find homes, they've nicknamed me their FIV co-ordinator as anyone who is interested in an FIV cat is welcome to call me for a chat, even pop round to meet Maxy boy if it puts their mind at rest that its not the death sentence some believe it to be.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 19:38:24 PM »
I am glad there has been such a good response - if anyone doesn't know what to have for a birthday present, ask for a cat to be sponsored. I have had a cat sponsored for X Mas - he lives at the local rescue as a farm cat, and I can't adopt him as he isn't housetrained and is too old to be moved now. My kind of cat though - old, three legged and one eyed!!!
Gail - why dont you offer to do a food bin in your local Morrisons? Do make sure you get the backing of a rescue first though, with the problems Dawn had.
Linda - have you checked the rescue pages on CC to see if there is an independent one near you - I didn't know about the rescue I foster for before them, as they dont advertise.
Please spay your cat

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 17:36:14 PM »
Excellent post Desley.  I must make more regular runs to my local CPL next year although I am a bit miffed with them, never seem to want any help (bit cliquey really).  I'd like to make a relatively sizeable monthly donation to an appropriate rescue but want to ensure its the right one.
Gail, tell me more about the ferals you sponsor?  I've never heard of this before.

Offline sonya

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ozzy Daisy and Ebony
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 16:57:31 PM »
Totally with you too Desley, I always buy a couple of extra tins of food when im shopping for my furbabes in my local Jollyes and put them in the cp bin and local cat and dog shelter bins they have in there, but I think the pennies and 5ps idea is excellent, I am also pledging to save the cashback from my mail order catalogue and donating it to the rescue I got Ebony from at christmas time next year.

Im sure if we all made an extra effort this year we could do so much.

Sonya
  xx
Cats are like vodkas-you cant just have one

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 16:37:44 PM »
I'm with you on this one Des.

I do sponser my ferals  -Bunty & Saffieat Cramar - and I do take food down.  However I would love a bin in morrison's supermarket, so i could pop some cans of kitty meat in there.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 15:27:23 PM »
Thanks Desley

Yes agree, and my pledge was made a couple weeks ago to the Cat Chat babes and upwards and onwards to a great relationship there.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Lets make next year a better one
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 15:19:12 PM »
Seeing as 2007 is only days away, I thought it would be nice to see if we can all make a pledge and help the hundreds of cats that will find themselves in a rescue next year. I know there are people on here who can't foster or do front line rescue, but I think we can all do something small to make a difference, and it truly doesn't have to be anything expensive or time consuming - it can be as small as one extra tin of cat food with your shopping - I think the majority of us can absorb 50p into our shopping, but that will feed a rescue cat for a whole day, and also help the rescue's money go a bit further. Or maybe consider what toys/beds your cats actually do use, and donate any unused items to your local rescue, they could help make a cats stay that bit nicer. We have 370 members on here at the moment, if every single one can do something small, it will make such a big difference to cats up and down the country.

My pledge for next year is to donate the pennies and 5ps I collect to local animal charities, and to either buy a tin of food a week, or something from our wish list.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat