Author Topic: Smartie -anyone used Fortekor-or have a cat with enlarged heart !  (Read 18383 times)

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
Re: Smartie -anyone used Fortekor-or have a cat with enlarged heart !
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2008, 23:28:12 PM »
Hi Mark,
I got the pack of 28 -will ring and see how much tomorrow as this was all included in my bill at the time (£268) .
£25 sounds ok for 56 tablets - will see if i can get them from him at that price-  thanks.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2008, 23:23:54 PM »
One of the reasons I changed vets is because he kept putting prices up. In the end I was paying £48 for 56 tablets. I asked my new vet for a prescription and he asked what I pay online. He said he pays £21 so will sell them for £25 as he would rather make £4 than nothing  ;D
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2008, 21:17:27 PM »
Thankyou everyone .
Yes, he has had the fortekor for 12 days now - have to see how much they are from the vet and then compare with online prices -trouble is -i feel guilty for asking for a prescription as my vet is so nice  :-[ - but i have a feeling they are £20 from the vet and about £12 online and they deliver to a chemist not that far from me and i can pick them up there with no postage costs.  That would mean £8 per month saving -which is a lot really !

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2008, 17:47:14 PM »
That's excellent, I am so pleased the Fortekor is agreeing with him

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2008, 16:39:50 PM »
Thanks -yes he seems to fine now thank goodness ! ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2008, 16:16:09 PM »
hope he is feeling better!

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2008, 15:39:25 PM »
update on Smartie-been to the vets today and had his stitches out -all healed up fine and he seems to be over the op and the snotty nose issue ( had it really bad the whole week after the op -vet said it could have been stress)
Anyway , looking forward to him living a long and healthy life now with the Fortekor !
Still have his seasonal asthma to keep an eye out for it starting again though !!!

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2008, 00:46:06 AM »
Yes, no partner and no family to speak of really !!!
So, i really do live for my cats and they get the best food and care they need (better than me i suppose !!)
They make my life worthwhile and i do try and help other cats wherever i can .
Thats why i am so glad i came across this website , to talk to others that understand.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2008, 00:31:25 AM »
Oh I do understand that cos my four are my family too  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2008, 00:16:18 AM »
Thankyou - i will always be worried more about him as he has had the most wrong with him- herpes ( snotty/blocked nose and runny eye ) , asthma in summer , cystitis when i first had him and now all this and the enlarged heart .
Think its him thats turned my hair greyer  !!
I love him so much and he and the other 3  are really my family -there is just us and we love and take care of each other -me and my 4 most wonderful cats.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2008, 23:54:08 PM »
So pleased that Smartie is doing well  ;D

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2008, 22:04:30 PM »
This looked red and sore the day he came back from the vets.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2008, 21:53:31 PM »
Where they clipped him , one bit looked red and thats where he was washing - i guess they had the clippers on the wrong setting at first and it was a bit sore -it certainly looked it  :(
poor boy .

Cats often wash shaved areas till they make them red and sore looking.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2008, 16:34:05 PM »
Well, touch wood Smartie does seem to be on the mend - i know he has also forgiven me for taking him to that terrible place -as this morning he jumped on me and sat on my neck and cuddled into it - he usually does this every morning and this is the first time since he came back from the vets he has done this !!  ;D :Luv:
He also has not touched his stitches since i put the coat on him and he took it off !  He obviously has realised if he touches them , he will have to have the "strait jacket " on again !!
He didn''t have it on last night and i got up loads of times throughout the night to check his stitches were still ok and it doesn''t look like he has bothered with them.
Where they clipped him , one bit looked red and thats where he was washing - i guess they had the clippers on the wrong setting at first and it was a bit sore -it certainly looked it  :(
poor boy .
So , fingers and paws crossed he keeps progressing now.

Anyway -the bill was £268 in the end - op, dental, blood test, x-ray, fortekor and last weeks consultation and pack of advantage .which i think was pretty good -although as i hadn''t expected the x-ray had only got £200 - so put a few things on ebay (including a lovely cat hammock ! -i have 3 left i bought last year to sell and kept one for my own cats -can use it outside with canopy or inside for bed settee) to get the extra £68 .
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 16:38:32 PM by bunglycat »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2008, 10:17:49 AM »
Hard to follow vets advice sometimes. When Clapton had a dental, the vet said to keep him in for 24hrs and light food only. As soon as he was home, he scoffed Willow's food, barged out the catflap, had a drink of dirty pond water and jumped on the wall for a long nap in the shade  :Crazy: (It was a hot August day  :Luv2: )

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2008, 09:06:11 AM »
They have probably started to itch.  I remember with my Guinness (RIP) the vet said don't let her mess with her stitches and don't let her jump up.,  As soon as we got home and I opened the cat basket she jumped right on the dining table and pulled her stitches out!!!  Luckily no damage

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2008, 20:31:17 PM »
Thats good, maybe he wanted to clean the vet smell off them  :sick:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2008, 20:27:17 PM »
He had the stitches on Friday and up to now they are ok -in fact since i put the coat on him last night (even though it came off at some point) i haven't seen him touch them since ! :shify:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2008, 19:56:24 PM »
The first few days are really important while everything knits together, sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind and use a collar  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2008, 17:59:16 PM »
I have known females to pull spay stitches out after a few days and no harm done as long as the wound doesn't open
Hopefully Lynn will see this and hopefully agree  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 21:34:56 PM by Mark »

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2008, 17:39:19 PM »
Smartie started trying to wash his stitches last night !!  I haven''t got a collar for him and i think he would freak out if i put one on him !
I tried to find something to cover them -first of all thought about a pair of pants !!!! My bum is a lot bigger than his and there would be nowhere for him to wee !!!
Then a bandage - tried that , made him pull at it more !
Then remembered a little coat i bought when Winston was shaved - put that on him -not a happy cat ! I tried to compromise my undoing the neck button and folding back so it was just over his bum - the stitches are in an awkward place -right at the top of his back leg/hip.
I had to leave that on him as i was going to have another sleepless night otherwise -anyway i still got up every couple of hours to check on him and last look at 11am -the coat was off - think he spent all night getting it off as he has slept most of the day and doesn;t seem very happy with me again !
He hasn''t eaten as much as he did last night either - but i suppose a little is better than none at all -he ate a fair bit last night though !!
Anyone any other ideas ???

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2008, 15:30:09 PM »
From me and my gang too!  big :hug:
Caroline xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2008, 16:14:48 PM »
cuddles to smartie  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2008, 15:59:54 PM »
Update on my boy- last night he stretched in front of the fire -although he isn''t eating much !  I gave him his tablet and then he went into one of the beds for a sleep -about 1 hour later he made this noise -like a cross between a cry and a howl -really scared me  :scared:
I went to him and stroked him and was panicking in case he had decided to have a reaction to the tablets after 3 days !! Anyway , i think it must have been a bad dream as he was ok , i sat with him for another hour ( 3am !) Then went to bed and got up nearly every hour to see if he was still ok !!    :yawn:
Anyway, he seems ok now, eaten a very small amount and gone back into his nice heated bed - so here's hoping he is on his way to a good recovery.
Thanks everone for the good wishes and support.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2008, 18:33:27 PM »
Fingers crossed.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2008, 18:17:21 PM »
He sounds just fine, I am sure the Fortekor will do him nothing but good.  Dragan's reaction was very very rare.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2008, 15:29:20 PM »
Just a quick update -last night he stretched out in front of the fire and seemed nice and relaxed -today he has been outside sitting onhis bench (with nice spongy cushion) .
He is much better with me now and coming to me for a fuss, also sitting out and taking an interest in the birds .
He has had his second tablet last night and still seems to be ok with them.
I just hope his heart doesn''t get any worse and these tablets do work for him.
My vet did ring yesterday tea-time and ask how he was -i ask about the tablets and he says they can work for heart problems as well as kidney problems in cats - so here''s hoping.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2008, 12:08:21 PM »
fortekor is supposed to lower blood pressure a bit. It can lead to lethargy and lack of appetite (some cats though eat more on it apparently). I would just watch and if you're worried, call the vet. The agitation could be from the anaesthetic and if it is, I think it should wear off within a day or so. It's also quite traumatic what he's just been through. Hope Smartie settles and is back to being fine asap.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2008, 06:56:10 AM »
Sounds ok, Dragan had one tablet and three hours later his reaction started.  He only had three tablets before he lost the use of his legs.  I wouldn't worry at all if I was you, seems Smartie is ok with them

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2008, 16:27:09 PM »
well, he had a tablet last night -he isn''t particularly lethargic -he keeps going to the door to go outside !
He is just walking about ,looking out the window and if i go to him he runs off, he is a bit shaky/nervous .
I got up and checked him this morning and he was looking out the window -he hasn''t really settled and gone to sleep much at all.
How many tablets did Dragan have before you noticed this ?
Thanks

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2008, 16:13:04 PM »
Dragan's bad reaction started with total lethargy, he even fell asleep whilst eating his dinner.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2008, 15:07:18 PM »
Hi,
Yes, the leaflet does say for heart problems in dogs and kidney problems in cats !
I have rung my vet and left a message as i am still worried sick.
He is still very "off" with me and will not come to me at all this afternoon , he is running off and seems scared , so have put the fire on and left him to come round .
Maybe as he had more oxygen or something he is like this ?
Sophie had a lump removed and she was like this for a week !!- every time she saw me she ran and hid under the bed , which is where Smartie has just gone.
He has had a few biscuits to eat and some water , so i will just have to keep my eye on him.
I have put a warm/heated bed ready for him and just keep talking to reassure him.
He has had a fortekor tablet last night - hope he doen't have a bad reaction to it !!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Re: Smartie has a lump !
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2008, 09:02:49 AM »
Clapton has been on Fortekor for about 16 months but for CRF. I'm pretty sure the leaflet says it is for heart problems in dogs and CRF in cats. As long as he gets it every day, clapton is fine. It can make them a bit sickly for the first week as it raises creatanine levels temporarily which can make them nauseous but it levels out after a while. I know that it shouldn't be given at the same time as NSAIDS (Non steroid anti-inflammatory drugs) as Fortekor increases the size of arteries to increase blood flow, whether it be heart or kidneys whereas NSAIDS constrict them. I don't remember seeing Clapton so happy and  healthy since he started on it - although he does seem to sleep more thesedays. That could be my imagination though.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2008, 06:43:44 AM »
My dog Pepsi (RIP) was on Fortekor for 5 years for her heart and was fine.  My cat Dragan was on it for a couple of days for his heart too and had a very very bad reaction and unfortunately had to be put to sleep.  However, please don't let that worry you too much as it is very very rare for the reaction that Dragan had to occur.  Just keep a close eye on Smartie and if you are worried speak to your vet.  I am sure he will  be fine.  Keep us posted on his progress.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2008, 01:28:19 AM »
Forgot to say - If you want to change the title of this to see if anyone else has experience of enlarged hearts and/or Fortekor then you can do that by clicking on 'modify' your FIRST post in the thread and typing in your new title then 'save'.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2008, 01:10:47 AM »
thanks for that - yes he  apparently went a bit "blue" when coming round ,so they kept him on the oxygen a bit longer and he was ok , then i presume he had the x-ray shortly after.
Will ask tomorrow if poss, if not definately Monday.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 00:50:43 AM »
Poor Smartie  :hug:  I've used Fortekor before but it was for my CRF cat (Tiggy  :Luv:) rather than for heart issues.  It was very effective for CRF and I would imagine that as it was developed as a heart drug that it's probably the drug of choice for hearts aswell. 

One other thing to add, the anaesthetic can sometimes cause hearts to look enlarged when under normal circumstances they are not.  When Riley was a kitten he was investigated for heart issues as he panted after heavy play, he had an ECG and ultrasound which were normal but not conclusive due to him wriggling around while they were being done.  He then had an x-ray while he was being neutered which showed an enlarged heart on one side.  They did say that it could be due to the anaesthetic, he had another ultrasounds, ECG and a blood test and his heart was proved to be completely normal.  It's definitely worth asking your vet about a misleading result due to the anaesthetic  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 00:24:23 AM »
Hi,
Yes, he has to go back in 10days to have his stitches out.
The tablets are 1 per day.
The enlarged heart showed up on the xray .

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 21:43:58 PM »
Aww, fingers crossed the heart is just a reaction and nothing too serious. Fortekor helps open blood vessels, and I think it might have been used for heart things before they realised it could benefit CRF patients, but I could be wrong there. What have the vets suggested you do, and do they want him back for a follow up?
Please spay your cat

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 21:15:41 PM »
Hi everyone -update on Smartie.
Have fetched him from vets -he is still groggy and a bit disorientated . The lump was a fatty lump , he has had his dental (all ok ,none out) kidneys and lungs ok ( i ask him to check now he is 11) - BUT when he was coming out of the anasethtic he went a bit blue and had to have more oxygen , he was ok after , but vet decided to x-ray to see why and he has an enlarged heart ! :(
He has put him on Fortecur ( wrong spelling but  :tired: didn'' get much sleep last night worrying about today and Winston sat on my head at 4.30 am as there was no food left down !!)
Anyone know anything about the heart problem and the medication _ know its usually for kidney disease !?
Feeling pretty upset at the moment - thought the lump might be ok -but wasn''t expecting this !
Thanks

Link to CatChat