Author Topic: Smartie -anyone used Fortekor-or have a cat with enlarged heart !  (Read 18441 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Smartie has a lump !
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 10:04:14 AM »
I think the "after 6pm" rule is old hat. I have always fed and watered mine right up until I go to bed.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 07:40:48 AM »
It is just the way each vet works MM, mine say 8, but some do still say 6. They need at least 12 hours before food and anaesthetic, so I now take mine away at around 10, as my vets don't stop consulting till 10.30, so I know there is no chance of them being done sooner.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 07:30:33 AM »
Best of luck.  I just wondered why your vet said not to feed after 6pm?  My old vet used to say after 8pm and the following two vets I have had both said after midnight but leave water down. 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008, 22:27:19 PM »
Good luck.
Please spay your cat

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 17:08:46 PM »
Good wishes to both you and Smartie for tomorrow.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 16:41:18 PM »
Smartie and me say thankyou for the good wishes and support.

Offline chris91011

• Adult Cat
  • R.I.P.Tigger Sept95--30/1/08-much loved & missed
    • My Pet Site
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 16:16:45 PM »
good luck Smartie :care:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 15:09:17 PM »
Lots of good wishes to Smartie  :hug: :hug:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 15:07:49 PM »
Good luck from me and mine :grouphug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 15:01:56 PM »
Smartie is going in tomorrow for his op - going tohave fun feeding the oyther 3 tonight and not him after 6pm !
The others always have supper too and biscuits are usually left down all night - that means -no biscuits= 3 cats jumping on the bed all night looking for their midnight munchies !!!
Will be glad when its this time tomorrow and i know he is ok -have been worrying since i found this !!

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 00:47:54 AM »
Thanks everyone.
The vet  does think its a fatty lump (Smartie    doesn''t like tuna or any sort of fish !-or anything else much in the way of treats !) - he loves Whiskers supermeat -chicken only and persian30 and James Wellbeloved biscuits -these biscuits he only has a few of,  mixed with the c/d as he does have to have Hills c/d as he had cystytis when he was younger -then he went to Hills s/d -now c/d -but he isn''t keen !thats why he has a few of the others mixed in )
The lump is bigger than a pea , more a small cherry ! but softish.
Sophie had one a while ago and had it removed and hers was on her throat ! -it turned out to be nothing- but when i checked her tonight (gone paranoid now -will be checking all of them every day for lumps !!!)  she had a small pea size one now -same place as Smarties !
Not only will i be grooming, cleaning eyes, ears , noses and the occasional bum now - i will be feeling them all over for lumps and bumps !
Poor Smartie -he gets everything -used to get cystitis, gets seasonal asthma, and has Herpes disease , resulting in bit of a snotty nose often and runny eye on one side -now this !

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 23:12:20 PM »
Our Tommie is now 18 and has three fatty lumps along his right side (softer and larger than peas but not fixed) last time I checked properly, none of which cause me any concern anymore. I've a feeling they were caused by far too much tuna over the years when I didn't realise it wasn't good for him. The lumps can be uncomfortable for him if I pick him up the wrong way but at his age operations are not adviseable if not absolutely necessary. Gandolf RIP (died age 18 or 19) also had them; probably same cause.  Guess what, none of our resident 3 have tuna anymore.

Best of luck with dental. That is a long time to wait and worry.   :hug:

That took ages to type. Does everyone else have lunatic fluffs interfering with their typing?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 22:47:54 PM »
I have had two older males with fatty lumps (both overweight cats incidentally), but only one was removed, and that was only cos he needed a dental at the same time, vet doesn't routinely remove them in older animals unless they are an issue - my friends parent's dog has one too, and that is age related. I know the not sleeping due to worry though, I was the same when I first found Gingers, I made him sleep on the bed and cried myself to sleep!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 20:21:21 PM »
Good luck for Friday xx
Caroline xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 20:18:44 PM »
Thats better  :rofl:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 20:14:54 PM »
 :rofl:  You know i thought it looked odd as i typed it  :evillaugh:

PEA

better ?  :evillaugh:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 20:09:25 PM »
sounds like it may be a wee sebaceous cyst (did it feel like a pee ? )
:evillaugh: and what does pee feel like Lynn?

Thanks - a week to wait as its next friday 7th March !
Yes, he was vaccinated in Jan - but the lump is at the top of his back leg (hip)
Some vets give the felv vax in the leg but wont be that if he was done in the scruff!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 20:01:57 PM »
would seem like an odd place for a fatty lump (but they can appear anywhere) , sounds like it may be a wee sebaceous cyst (did it feel like a pee ? )

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 19:31:39 PM »
I think it is an age thing.  Two of mine had fatty lumps when they got older.  Vet didn't remove them as they weren't in awkward places nor causing any probs.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 18:45:43 PM »
Thanks - a week to wait as its next friday 7th March !
Yes, he was vaccinated in Jan - but the lump is at the top of his back leg (hip)

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 18:21:22 PM »
When I found a lump on Misha I thought the worst but it was a benign skin tag which are common.   It is worrying and like you I didn't sleep much but just like humans, most of cats lumps are benign hun.    Have everything crossed x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 17:37:30 PM »
Recently vaccinated? That can cause a lump

Good luck for friday  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
Smartie -anyone used Fortekor-or have a cat with enlarged heart !
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 16:34:19 PM »
Found a lump on top of his back leg last night -took him straight to the vets today - couldn''t find it when i got there through all the fur !!!
Anyway , its moveable ,so he thinks its possibly a fatty lump , but he''s going to remove it next Friday  :scared: Thought he may as well have his dental at the same time too as was going to have it done in a couple of weeks anyway.
Worried all last night over it and didn''t sleep very well- will be like this now till its sorted out !!
Sophie had one on her throat last year and had that removed and was ok .
Got home from vets and went through them all , checking for lumps and now found another very small one on Sophie again , same place as Smarties .
Is this an age thing ?
Sophie is nearly 14 and Smartie is almost 11 . :(
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 14:55:38 PM by bunglycat »

Link to CatChat