Author Topic: CRF and stinky pee  (Read 2007 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: CRF and stinky pee
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 10:13:19 AM »
swampmax mum...YES crf sufferers have stinky urine, sometimes with a fairly advanced case (undiagnosed) come in you can practically diagnose it just on the smell the cat is carrying with them.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 20:09:36 PM »
Finally some one who owns up about sugarpuff wee, for years everyone i know has denied all knowledge  >:(
I ate some lovely beet roots once and the next day i thought i was dying from internal bleeding  :shocked:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 19:56:49 PM »
Have you started any different meds? That can change the smell of pee.

Sugar puffs do it to humans  :sick:

I'm glad you said that as I always thought so  :evillaugh:

Asparagus does in a big way but not with everyone (that's how clapton's pee smells)

Also any high-protein food - ie chicken
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 19:55:16 PM »

I won't ask!  :rofl:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 19:53:48 PM »
Have you started any different meds? That can change the smell of pee.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 14:43:36 PM »
yes, although I suppose the urea is ammonia isn't it? I'm a bit vague on it all. I know his urine concentration is not good. Sometimes the smell's better than others too. A sample down the vets next week I suppose. I want the vet to test it, not the nurses, which can be tricky to arrange.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 00:09:15 AM »
Clapton's pee smells really bad and I have to completely change his tray every other day. Not sure if it's the CRF or the Fortekor. You would expect it to be less smelly as it is so unconcentrated  :Crazy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 23:06:13 PM »
I dontb rember Kockas smell getting any stronger and I would thinkif theybare drinking a lot the reverse would happen.

It could be that antibiotics but I would check with the vet.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
CRF and stinky pee
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 22:44:18 PM »
No delicate way to put the title of this thread, sorry.  I've noticed just in the last week that Swampy's pee honks far more than it used to and it is an ammonia type smell obviously. He's not drinking or peeing any more than normal as yet (he pees about 4x a day, some more copious than others) and next week I will take in a sample when I can get one to the vet's, but is this pretty standard as CRF develops? If it's an infection I'll have to be quicker about it. Having said that, he had an antibiotic injection on Thursday as his cold is so awful that that could be a major factor in the struggle to nosh. (he's now got to sit on the loo - closed lid! - while we shower with our extractor fan off, with a bowl of olbas oil next to him....seems to like it, not that it works too well).

Link to CatChat