Author Topic: changing brand of food  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
Re: changing brand of food
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 16:27:02 PM »
I just mix the old with the new when it comes to dry. I've never had any problem. With wet I chop and change as well. Normally it's one pouch split between brekkie and dinner (he wont eat more than that at the moment). So it would be chicken am/pm then the next day he might have something totally different like NM/Applaws/Whiskas etc and it would be a totally different flavour.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 16:10:05 PM »
I've always put it off but it's getting silly four cats four different foods!  I only realised how stupid it was when I as writing up instructions for the pet sitter

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 16:08:29 PM »
Yes.  If it's a wet food you should find changing over easier than if it's dry food.  Dry food does need to be changed gradually but I've never had problems chopping and changing wet foods.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 16:04:43 PM »
I know there is a similar sort of thread going but I don't want to hijack it - if I'm trying to change my lot all over to the same kind of food (I say try) is it a case of mixing a bit of the old and new and how long for??

Yes thats what I do - although I don't necessarily mix the foods together, I usually just put a teaspoon ful of the new food alongside the normal food on the plate to start with and watch the reaction to it! If that goes ok, I'd just slowly increase the amount of new food, while decreasing the old food.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
changing brand of food
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 15:52:52 PM »
I know there is a similar sort of thread going but I don't want to hijack it - if I'm trying to change my lot all over to the same kind of food (I say try) is it a case of mixing a bit of the old and new and how long for??

Link to CatChat