Author Topic: Cats do come home - don't loose hope  (Read 4480 times)

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
Re: Cats do come home - don't loose hope
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 21:07:18 PM »
Thinking of you Carrie and Sam x

Offline Carrie

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 20:54:49 PM »
all of your posts make me feel very hopeful that my sam is out there somewhere!
im so happy for all those who got reunited with their pets, and i cant wait for the day when i can put my happy story on here!

Offline claws n purrs

• Adult Cat
  • Ronnie, Freya, Olly and Mickey!
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 20:15:38 PM »
It's so heartening to hear of cats returning home after being missing for days or weeks and must give hope to anyone whose cat is still missing.  :hug:
Life is life -  there is no difference between a cat or a man.  The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage.  ~Sri Aurobindo

"I purr, therefore I am."

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 11:01:48 AM »
My Casper did this last summer. He went missing the day before my parents went on holiday and my mum didn't want to leave not knowing where he was, but they did go in the end. I got my OH to stay the whole time they were away because I didn't want to be on my own in the house. He was really great and let me cry all over him a lot! After a day or so of not returning, I made posters and put them through all the doors in our road and in the little road behind the house. Nothing happened for a few days after this, and I had to have my birthday knowing that the only thing I wanted was my cat back.

After another few days I had a call from a lady down the road, her cat had gone missing a few weeks before and she found out he had eaten rat poison. This was the first time I really thought Casper was never coming back. After that I started going out in the evenings again as I was losing hope, I went out for a joint birthday party for me and my OH but I really didn't enjoy it and alcohol consumption didn't help the sadness!

When we got home, I did my usual thing of walking down the hall to check if he had come home, and there was a cat shaped shadow on his favourite seat. I ran through and gave him a huge cuddle and cried my eyes out! You should never completely give up hope of a lost one returning unless you know for sure.

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 18:05:59 PM »
[quote author=Gillian (Ambercat) link=topic=11920.msg204049#msg204049 date=1202511351

On News Years Eve (it had snowed) a neighbour knocked on my door and asked if she was still missing as he'd been walking his dogs and had come across a black cat curled up at the edge of a playing field - I knew it was her! So we jumped in his car and he drove me to where he'd seen her - and there she was, still where he'd left her curled up in the snow - fine, apart from being a bit thin! - it still brings tears to my eyes thinking about it again now, even though it was over 20 yrs ago, and I can still remember that feeling when I was finally able to have her in my arms again.
[/quote]

Lovely story Gillian  :'( :)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 13:14:02 PM »
One of mine ( when they were outside cats many years ago ) went missing for 10 days, I was an absolute mess by the time she returned.

A friend of mine went on holiday and left her cat wth her parents at the other side of town. He went missing. Took him a few weeks to walk right back across the very very busy city to his mums house, but he did.
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline bengalBaby

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 23:56:08 PM »
when i was young at home we had a black cat *amy* who went missing for 4 months then turned up skinny but like nothing had happened one morning! we think she may of got in the back of someones van etc and they noticed and just let her out down road. (Who knows)

BUT april 2006 My henry a Very Large Toyger Looking Tabby went missing after having him 3 months. I only live in a small town and the area around is not near main roads etc so we think he was stolen. i was heavly pregnant at time and 5am over due with my daughter me and my OTHER cat who use to follow me walked the streets calling him for weeks. Its the thought of not knowing if they are ok, all i can think is (i hope he has a nice home somewhere) .... And the theifs need to be shot!.

Offline Rycliffe

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 16:37:33 PM »
My Chico came home none the worse after 5 and a half months - vet could not believe how healthy he was - very musular.  He is a terrific hunter.  unfortunately his twin brother (Groucho) is still missing after over two years - but I will never never never give up hope.  I even received a possible sighting call today - lets hope and prey it is him

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 22:55:51 PM »
I got my Tilly back, just after Christmas, after 2 months on her Big Adventure.  :Luv:

These days I am always telling people whove lost their cats that posters aren't enough. You actually have to bang on those doors and speak to everyone personally.

Yes, I agree, and you need to keep doing it, keep knocking on doors, speaking to anyone you can around the area, keep it in everyone's minds.

Years ago my Sophie went missing just before Christmas - she was blind. The fact that we still let her out and about was because she went blind at about 2 or 3 yrs old and had always been an outdoorsy sort of a cat - and continued to be so quite happily. She used to sit on the wall at the end of our garden and we think she walked along this wall - the wrong way, instead of back to the house, it was away from the house. She was missing all over Christmas - what a miserable one that was  :( - and I had people saying I needed to face facts too, but I went out every day with my friend searching round the area, talking to people about it.

On News Years Eve (it had snowed) a neighbour knocked on my door and asked if she was still missing as he'd been walking his dogs and had come across a black cat curled up at the edge of a playing field - I knew it was her! So we jumped in his car and he drove me to where he'd seen her - and there she was, still where he'd left her curled up in the snow - fine, apart from being a bit thin! - it still brings tears to my eyes thinking about it again now, even though it was over 20 yrs ago, and I can still remember that feeling when I was finally able to have her in my arms again.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 21:16:41 PM »
I got my Tilly back, just after Christmas, after 2 months on her Big Adventure.  :Luv:

All the time she was living in the garden of a vacant house only 100 yards away. She had no idea she was so close to home, and the idiot next door to this house thought she might have been my cat, after looking at the poster I put through all the doors in the town, but thought she looked fine so didn't bother to report her to me. I trapped her myself after spotting her out very early one morning. She was so terrified that she hadn't responded to my calling for her every evening, even though she must have heard me.  :'(

These days I am always telling people whove lost their cats that posters aren't enough. You actually have to bang on those doors and speak to everyone personally. The bloke, who had seen my Tilly scavenging for food nearly every day since she went missing, was a total pleb. Even if they don't come running out of the bushes when you call, it doesn't mean they are not there. They may just be frozen with all those different sounds and smells.  :sneaky:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 14:42:58 PM »
It was 10 days she returned at 2am just into the 11th day.

No we have no idea where she went, there were no clues on her body, she didn't smell of anything, her claws where fine so it wasn't like she'd been involved in a small RTA that freaked her.    We have no clues at all.

Offline a very sad lynne

• Adult Cat
  • Has anyone seen my Nancy?
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 14:40:14 PM »
Hi Mrs.R. Could you tell me how long Bunty went missing for and do you have any clues as to where she had been please?
Thanks,
A still very sad Lynne.
Nancy went missing on 25thMay from Llandudno Jct.Conwy,N.Wales.LL319LH.Nancy is 4 years old,has been spayed,was wearing a silvery/white collar.Nancy is a silver/grey/white tabby.I am offering a substantial reward for her safe return.Thanks,Lynne.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 10:35:49 AM »
This is Bunty aka Bunster.................

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
Cats do come home - don't loose hope
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 09:51:43 AM »
My oldest Bunty went missing about 10 months ago now.    She is a little old lady who never really goes much further than down the end of the driveway so you can imagine that our heart was in our throat one morning when we woke and Bunty was nowhere to be seen.     We didn't quite freak out fully at first but after a couple of hours then we started panicking as it just wasn't like her at all.    We had triple checked the house and places in the house that were impossible like the cutlery drawer just to ease our minds and so we started the hunt outside.    By the evening I was in bits, my eyes stinging from crying - I looked like a mad banshee women and kept going out with a box of cat food calling - my husband was trying to be so supportive but I could see the tears in his eyes.    That night neither of us slept much, both going out on and off throughout the night checking.     We had called everywhere, CP, RSPCA, all local vets, everywhere - even the council to check if any dead cats had been picked up on the road - I was in tears on the phone to the coucil asking them this and the gentleman I spoke to I have to say was wonderful who ever he was.

Anyway this went on for 10 days and by the 10th day people had started to say things to me like "you have to start facing facts" or "you have to move on", etc etc but I wasn't ready to give up.    Bunty has a special cushion that we bought for her in the space room and she sleeps on it - no other cat even seems to use it - its like they know its Bunty's, and every day I would smell this cushion.    My husband even said by the 10th day "what about Bunty's cushion" - I snapped back "it stays, don't touch it".

That night I think I cried myself to sleep like all the other nights then at 2am I heard a weird calling - the sort of call that in the middle of the night makes you jump out of bed as its one of your cats but the meiow or call just isn't right.     I sat bolt upright and looked over at my husbands side of the bed and in the moonlight I saw Bunty racing up and down the side of the bed calling out - with one had I was wacking my husband trying to wake him and with the other trying to turn the light on.    I kept trying to get the words out "its Bunty" but couldn't!    The moment the light went on she raced downstairs towards the kitchen and we jumped out of bed.      When we got to the kitchen there she was - skin and bone - my husband poured food into her bowl and I fell to my knees crying and laughing (its bringing tears to my eyes typing this).    It was amazing - Bunty was home.

We took her to the vets the next morning for a check up and although very underweight she was fine.   I brought her home and she curled up on our bed and I layed next to her all that day just looking at her and gentley stroking her.

It took weeks for the normal Bunty to come back - she came home a very different cat and although she is back to her normal self she is now understandibly obsessed with food and weirdly talks a lot more - maybe she is telling mummy all about her adventure.

So just wanted to say - don't give up hope as you never know.     On another forum a members cat returned to her after 43 days!

Don't loose hope please, it is heartbreaking but you just never know.

Link to CatChat