Author Topic: Abandoned Cat!! Advice needed!  (Read 5657 times)

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
Re: Abandoned Cat!! Advice needed!
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2008, 18:03:52 PM »
Hello!

I don't know whether you've managed to get help for this little one, but as a CP branch we ALWAYS neuter cats that are reported to us. We neuter and return them to the area until we have space to take them on, or we re-home them from their current situation if the finders are able to just keep them ticking over with food etc.

Please contact your local CP again as that's one of our major concerns. Of course some branches are smaller than others, but if you don't have success with the local one, please contact CP headquarters and they will be able to help. Generally it's only us and the RSPCA that do neutering, other than that it's a case of finding a place for him in a resuce centre. Please always check the rescue centre yourself, as some are just as bad as the cat being on the street!

Hope this help,

Jen
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 20:53:42 PM »
I've just had an email off James who is interested in Jack and he would love to meet this little fella as well  :Luv2:  :Luv2:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 14:59:20 PM »
The only reason I could help quickly with this little lad is, my friend owns a cattery which can come in handy with emergencies  ;)  Luckily, she is based in Stockport as well so it couldn't have worked out better.

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 20:23:42 PM »
Just read this. Gail I'm so sorry you've found rescues difficult. I know sometimes we come across as uncaring but we all have the same interests at heart. I know at our branch someone as kind as you would possibly be asked to keep the cat while he was on a waiting list. That's only because we have so many homeless and needy cats waiting for a pen who sadly don't even have the "luxury" makeshift home Oscar's enjoying.

All I can say is without people like you, able to keep him for a short time, we'd really be up the creek! So thanks for caring for this little one and thanks to you (and Dawn, miracle worker as always...) he has a future!  :hug:
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 15:30:30 PM »
really pleased to hear this is sorted for the wee man!    nice one DD ;) :hug:    and good on you gail for sticking with it to find him somewhere
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 15:06:54 PM »
Hopefully it won't be long before he's got his own home  :Luv2:  :Luv2:  If he's okay with others, I may already have a home lined up for him, I've got one here that has got a home lined up but they may want another to go with him so maybe he'll be perfect  ;)

Offline gail123

• Adult Cat
  • COME HOME ALFIE X
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 08:51:51 AM »
Dawn thank you so so much for your help!! :Luv2: :Luv2:
I rang Sue last night, left a message, so Im sure I will hear from her soon !!

He is just adorable, and will make someone a truly loving pet, going to miss him, but will know he is in loving and safe hands :))

Just so sad cant keep him myself,
Will fill Sue in on his personality, but Im sure she will find out lol, he is very wise, although needs cuddles still, but just a really lovely chap

Cant thank you enough for your help Dawn, alot of doors were closed, and its so reassuring to know, there are genuine cat lovers out there, who truly want to help with the real problems such as helping a homeless baby such as Oscar, be in touch soon!!, will try Sue again later, if I dont hear from her, understand how busy she must be, she is an Angel, ((((Thank You))))
Gail x x x

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 00:08:01 AM »
The good news is he can stay at the cattery for a while, he'll be away from all the other cats as he'll have a pen which is separate from the cattery, and have his own heated bed  :Luv2:  There won't be any rush for rehoming and he'll get the best food and he'll stay free of charge.  This will give me time to get something sorted out for him or I'm hoping one's of Sue's customers will fall in love and take him on  ;)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 00:09:02 AM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 23:55:55 PM »
YaYY! DD to the rescue.....again!  :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 12:24:03 PM »
Hi Gail, I've pm'd you with my friends details.  If you give her a ring and she'll take him.  He'll be in a cattery but will be well looked after  :hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 11:15:03 AM »
Gail, I've sent you a pm and may be able to help.

Offline gail123

• Adult Cat
  • COME HOME ALFIE X
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 11:13:39 AM »
Hi again, yes tried the heatons, sadly £50 donation needed, just seems the responsibility is on me now, when all Im trying to do is home this little one, such a sad situation, but also opens your eyes at the same time, will keep you updated but for now Oscar is homeless, with dead ends every where, the tone I seem to get when trying to help him is why cant you just keep him or sorry no room at the Inn, <sigh>
Gail x x x

Offline gail123

• Adult Cat
  • COME HOME ALFIE X
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 11:05:52 AM »
Hi all.. Thanks for all your help, most helpful is Sue at mymoggy.com, looking into things at the mo..(VERY CARING AND HELPFUL!) wasnt having a go about cp answering machines, at all,,,, just frustrating, seeing him so desperate, but understand completely people kindly give their time :)

RSCPA rang me back, said it could take up to 6 weeks to look into his case! odd isnt on the advert 2 rspca workers come along with a basket and rescue the kitten immediately, found the lady on the phone to be probably one of the most uncompationate people ever dealt with :censored:, and asked me write a sign over form about why I didnt want him anymore and why he was in this situation... tried to explain he wasnt mine to want or not to want, nor did I know why, just felt very let down by the rspca , my mistake thinking they cared for homeless, hungry and cold cats, well at least for now he has us, food and some shelter, and will keep trying to find some help for this little chap who just needs some love, would love to able to home him, but cant, its just very sad., but as usual thanks for all your help with this guys x :'(
Gail x x x

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 10:45:51 AM »
Have you tried The Heatons in Stockport?

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 08:15:37 AM »
Abit about answering machines on rescue lines.. Unforuntately, we have to go to work... I do part time so am at home and if the phone rings i will answer it.. But CP branches are all volunteers, but we do our utmost to ring people back the same day or when some people are on the phones within a few hours. But maybe we are abit more different then other branches. I know how bad it is leaving a message and no one getting back to y ou.. So our phone message leaves a email address and that is used alot, i can pick up email from anywhere so i would be also trying to email rescues..

Keep on trying though..
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 00:32:39 AM »
Gail, I've pm'd you  :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 18:13:55 PM »
Have you checked cat chat for all the rescues in your area, theres always small independant people who are less known.

www.catchat.org

If CP offer to neuter him for you while he waits for a place please check their policy on FIV cats, many are testing before neutering now and then putting cats to sleep if they are positive  >:(
The rspca do this also

Offline gail123

• Adult Cat
  • COME HOME ALFIE X
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 18:05:14 PM »
Hi sadly no, as Ruby( our other baby)has a very low immune system, from an illness when she was a kitten, so she cant really mix of be around other cats, our house is open plan, we have thought about that, but no separate rooms as such down stairs at all :(  its so sad to see him, he is so affectionate, and im sure cant understand why he cant come in, he sprays an awful lot too, so doubt he would go in a litter, still ringing round, but at the moment seems a bit hopeless, he is in his shelter at the mo and has been fed, just thinking of long term, such a shame, but I guess illness happens and cats sometimes get left, just wish I could do more :(
Gail x x x

Offline gail123

• Adult Cat
  • COME HOME ALFIE X
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 18:00:30 PM »
Hi , Stockport area, near Cheshire :) x
Gail x x x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 17:58:38 PM »
Just so peeps know , what area are we talking about?

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 17:56:36 PM »
Do you not have a spare room you could keep him in till he is sorted....I appreciate that you have gave him a make-shift safe haven but  :'(

He will need neutering also hun....I know this probably should'nt have to fall on your head but he will likely be an even better cat when he gets them negative hormone's out of his system......

I only say the above because unfortunately it could take a long time to get him into a rescue... :(

So kind of you to be helping out though!   :hug: :hug:

Offline gail123

• Adult Cat
  • COME HOME ALFIE X
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 17:54:53 PM »
aww thanks, will do its surprising how many places say they cant help, or have answer machines and dont get back to you, just seems a bit of a dead end at the moment for finding some help for this chap!
Gail x x x

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 17:53:22 PM »
Keep pestering the CP and tell them he is unneutered and potentially "at risk"  Hopefully they will be able to assist.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline gail123

• Adult Cat
  • COME HOME ALFIE X
Abandoned Cat!! Advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 17:33:55 PM »
Hi all, Gail here, mentioned the other week about the elderly lady who was taken into hospital and left her two cats to wander, cold and hungry! well, the ginger tom has uprooted and hopefully found a home as we haven't seen him in a while, the white and black one, who we have named Oscar is fixed now to our garden, having made some inquiries, the elderly lady wont be returning... When the two toms both came into the garden, they seemed very fierce, and picked on our little male alfie, however now Oscar is on his own he is lovely, gorgeous cat actually, but its just not practical for us to keep him, as the do tend to spar!!
We have housed him in a make shift shelter, fed him daily, but its just not fair on him as he is really lacking some love and attention on a more regular basis than we can give him , plus the weather is turning quite bad here, Ruby wont stir outside while he is around, he hasnt moved in a week! He cries to come in constantly, we do give him as much love as we can, but its just not a long term or practical solution!
Ive rang our local cats protection, no reply as yet, just rang the rspca, (local) left another message, writing this as he scratches to come in, its quite heartbreaking to see him, but the 3 of them just wouldnt get along, dont think he is neuterd, but is adorable, just want a bit of advice really, on what to do next?
cheers, Gail x x x
Gail x x x

Link to CatChat